Aperture Pet & Life is formed to join BRS, EcoTech, and Neptune Systems brands

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aperture Pet & Life is a new company which was announced today to amalgamate and further develop some of our favorite reefkeeping brands. Last year investment group Bertram Capital acquired Bulk Reef Supply (which then bought Marine Depot,) then they bought Neptune Systems, before rounding off 2021 with the purchase of EcoTech Marine, owners of…
Source

Continue reading...

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I give it 1 year before it all starts going down hill and the company's lose sight of what these companies first set out to do. Its all going to be about the bottom line all these investors want is a return on there investment they do not care about our reef aquariums.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"But competition drives innovation and we can’t wait to see some all-new reefing products roll out of the Aperture stable in the months and years to come."

The purpose of consolidation is to eliminate competition and drive up profits. Vertically integrating the entire industry allows Aperture some flexibility to do just that. Let's just hope the companies Aperture has not yet bought stay independent and new companies come into the market. Only then will competition and innovation continue.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with ranch, but I think we all new suspected was coming when betram bought BRS. They then bought ecotech and we have already seen another substantial bump up in price for the radions this year on top of the one earlier in the pandemic.

Martingale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lol, yes i think they just added it but it was kind of the side point of the article

I realize it was somewhat off topic, but the article did mention it.

I haven’t been able to find any other announcement of this. I also tried syncing my AI devices to Mobius but it wasn’t working. There’s no notice of this update on the mobius app’s version history, either.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not the focus of the article but my takeaway is that now AI has a terrible app too. So sad.
i dont think you have to use it but when they come out with new lights (or honestly if now that ecotech ai and neptune are the same company) those will definitely be all mobius

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont think you have to use it but when they come out with new lights (or honestly if now that ecotech ai and neptune are the same company) those will definitely be all mobius
Well, we can always hope that Apeture pet life moves in a different direction (away from Mobius). Fingers crossed emoji

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article sounds pretty optimistic lol, wonder if there other motives in play... Ill keep my opinions out, but I definitely don't think its a good thing to see when a company starts to vertically integrate and corner the market.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did Bertram sell their slate of companies to Aperture Pet & Life, or is Aperture Pet & Life still owned by Bertram? Because it looks like Neptune, etc. have now been bought and sold twice (assuming both times for a profit).

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did Bertram sell their slate of companies to Aperture Pet & Life, or is Aperture Pet & Life still owned by Bertram? Because it looks like Neptune, etc. have now been bought and sold twice (assuming both times for a profit).
No. They are still owned by Bertram just combining all the companies under an umbrella name rather than each having its own

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI had a good app? My MyAI app was atrocious for the Nero 3s. Connection issues galore.
I have not experienced the AI app. I presumed that Mobius would be a downgrade but I have been known to be wrong before.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news, the sky is falling and everyone should run for cover asap! Like half of the reefing population wasn't buying from Amazon to begin with. Supporting Bezos and Co seems be a much better way to go....HAHAHA
Most vendors on Amazon only use their platform to sell and deliver goods. Some get the sale and ship from their facility. Others pay Amazon to warehouse and ship their products for them. Bezos doesn't own everything that comes from Amazon. They provide a service to small business which of course they pay for. Rent a shop in your town or go global with Amazon? Which do you think is better? They both have associated costs. Businesses can sell lower because they eliminate overhead going online. The way I see it consolidation destroys small businesses. Take MAP pricing for example. Corporate is literally setting your profit margin for that item. Thus eliminating competition and bargaining power to close a sale. As more and more map items are added LFS will become extinct and the only option you have is..... What.... Having a storefront and just selling fish and say used equipment won't keep you in business. As a business owner I turn away work all the time because someone will say I got a quote for this and I'm wondering if you can beat it? I don't own a business to work for minimum wage. Nobody does. MAP essentially sets what that business owner makes. That takes away competition for corporate. Eventually if you want ecotech Neptune and others there will be only one place to get it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back