Apex 2016 - "IOTA" connectivity - is the industry on board?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few threads recently have made me reflect on a noted part of the marketing for the 2016 version launch, the IOTA functionality, that would allow other vendors to "Apex ready" their own controller based equipment. Have we actually seen any vendor officially comment on working towards offering this option to their customers, or better yet, have released something that does?

I am genuinely curious as it seems the hobby is turning into an even more walled garden with phone apps than it was a couple years ago. MACNA 2016 had both a Maxspect Etheral and AI HD on demo, with note that the vendors were actively working to make it happen. Fast forward 15 months and I have seen crickets from both Maxspect and AI for an actual release of either solution. There doesn't seem to have been anything else for any other vendor in the industry as well.

I realize that officially the marketing will say it's up to the equipment vendor to get it done, but you would think at least those vendors would be happy to say Apex functionality coming soon, rather than nothing at all if this truly was a seemingly great thing for the industry as a whole.

Are any others getting the feeling that this seems to have fallen off the radar after a fair bit of publicity? If I am wrong on any part (I can't seem to find much on the AI other than the MACNA video), please let me know!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any links for press release or blogs etc? Curious. I am into some iot development, but I have never heard of such protocol . Is it something apex specific?

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any links for press release or blogs etc? Curious. I am into some iot development, but I have never heard of such protocol . Is it something apex specific?
Skimming the Neptune site it doesn't appear there is much about this other than citing the 2016 is an IotA platform, but it was a decent part of the video marketing at places like MACNA. Ultimately @Terence would probably be the only one around here that could point to the official media.

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still can't get any word from Maxspect. AI I didn't realize is an Ecotech sub-brand, so I guess that won't be happening either.

Seems this is dead in the water.

GarrettC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek has been informed about our program, and at least for now, has decided to simply do their own thing. Unfortunate because I like their lights a lot.

Dann really that sucks I'm gonna have to call or email them then lol

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my Kessil AP700s to an old iPad that I can keep at the current release since Kessil does not support their product. It would be very helpful is there is support for these lights via the Apex.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For both these companies, you should definitely let them hear you - directly and via forums like this. I do not think they completely understand how many of you out there want this - and how important it is to you going forward in future buying decisions.

GarrettC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the email I got back from orphtek
"Thanks for your email and you questions. The Atlantik V4 is not or will ever be compatible with Apex because it is an entirely different operating system. We do have models that are compatible with Apex and they are:

Kaspian
A320
A80

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"Thanks for your email and you questions. The Atlantik V4 is not or will ever be compatible with Apex because it is an entirely different operating system. We do have models that are compatible with Apex and they are:

Kaspian
A320
A80
This is often the case when a company does not control their manufacturing and relys on other companies to build and design their products. You can't even offer the same features across your product line. I hope more people request more of this and push them since this is their flagship product!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the industry does not settle on a proprietary and undocumented protocol. This is a recipe for more vendor lock-in. From internet and anything that we cherish (for example power grid) what we have learned is : its better to have an open, agreed upon specification and protocol, that both consumers and vendors can trust and use. This foster interoperability and allows users to switch vendors and vendors to build compatible devices without strict reliance on another vendor-specific feature. For example, we want our power provider to give 110v AC, and that constitutes the spec. There should not be a spec specifically for a single power provider, then you need a very specific type of equipment that has to respect a specific protocol.

In short, I think a general and open specification where we say things like control voltage (say 0-10v ), connectors types (BNC, rj45), API (mttr) are documented (relevant things that solve basic reef keeping chores like ATO, light cycle, temperature control etc) will be awesome. As that will allow a vendor to build compliant equipment, and the user can switch controllers or equipment, all they have to check is if the device or control respects that protocol. It will be also awesome if these protocols extend or build on top of already establishing opensource IoT protocols so that we don't have to reinvent wheels around security and scalability (this is going to be a concern going forward, and we'll benefit from standing on the shoulders of giants)

To me, the opposite (proprietary, closed and vendor specific) is risky for users and industry should to on board with such things.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kaspian
A320
A80
Either they must have some misunderstanding or they are not giving the full story. So let me try and clarify a couple of things for you and others.

Apex Ready is the overarching program we have to certify products that integrate easily and somewhat seemlessly into the Apex ecosystem. For years this has been limited to two methods - either us producing an interface module (done for those leading brands that have thousands of customers) or connection via 0-10V ports on either the Apex base unit or the VDM module. Orphek does have models certified by us under that program.

IoTa (Internet of Things, Aquariums) is a subset of Apex Ready. There are a multitude of (IoT) aquarium devices out there now that utilize the home ethernet network as a way for you to connect and interact with them - usually via your mobile device via their proprietary control app. Since the Apex is also on that same network (most often via WiFi), we can have the capability of controlling those devices in a couple of different ways. (1) If the device is a top-selling device with many thousands of customers that cross over into our user base, AND they have their own method for us to interconnect to them (API), we may choose to do that integration. A perfect example of this is the just-release AI LED support. (2) We have an API that we give to manufacturers that enables them to (at this time) make their LED or their powerhead/pumps interconnect with the Apex. They simply need to integrate the code we give them into their device and create an "Apex mode" in the device and then the Apex will be able to search, identify, connect, and then control that device.

Now, with the feedback from Orphek that their system and ours are on a different "operating system", I have no idea what they mean by that. There is no operating system that both the Apex and the device need to be on. The only thing I can possibly think of is that the Orphek may not have an ethernet connnection capability (wired or WiFi) and instead might use BlueTooth for its connection methodology. If that is the case, connection via IoTa is not possible. In the IoT world there is much discussion on what the communication standard should be - but that said, most all tech is heading the direction used with IoTa which is the home WiFi network.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For both these companies, you should definitely let them hear you - directly and via forums like this. I do not think they completely understand how many of you out there want this - and how important it is to you going forward in future buying decisions.
I've had plenty of correspondence with Kessil. I never fail to mention Apex integration.
In reality, every time iOS is updated the "app" is broken for months. Still have not fixed the AP700 network issues. Apex integration would solve both issues, assuming the network issues can be worked around.
Kessil had indicated informally that Apex integration would be forthcoming; informally is the keyword.
Absolutely will impact my buying decisions. No IoT only gear especially those that use a phone as the only interface; at least for items that cost $900.

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had plenty of correspondence with Kessil. I never fail to mention Apex integration.
In reality, every time iOS is updated the "app" is broken for months. Still have not fixed the AP700 network issues. Apex integration would solve both issues, assuming the network issues can be worked around.
Kessil had indicated informally that Apex integration would be forthcoming; informally is the keyword.
Absolutely will impact my buying decisions. No IoT only gear especially those that use a phone as the only interface; at least for items that cost $900.
Kessil has been nothing but a giant let-down for support of the AP700, and that is a shame because the hardware and form factor are both excellent! Franco the AP700 software liaison (if he's still there?) doesn't respond to email inquiries anymore and the general support email just comes back with there are no plans for controller support at this time or try reinstalling the phone app, etc. I still do not consider the fixture to be retail ready quality given the finicky nature of their firmware / app. There are still oustanding issues, some as you have noticed with iOS updates, others with power cycling, incorrect colour profiles used or the unit simply un-pairing itself for whatever reason.

Terence, I know you've brought up Dave Lowry before on R2R as the reef guy at DiCon / Kessil, whom also just happens to be the brand manager. Surely he knows that people want this functionality, the fixture has been out just a few months short of three years now. The hobby has given endless amounts of advertising back to them in social media with examples like the BRS160 series, yet crickets.

I will say kudos to AI and Neptune for working together and making that software Apex control functionality available. Honestly when I started this thread it was looking rather bleak. Now for Maxspect to follow through.

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the AI HD support i cant manage to find the device (a hydra 26HD) with apex iota. Any tips? resetted the Hydra twice and reconnected everything to the same wifi and whatnot.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back