Apex Alarm On/Off with no explanation

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex is giving an alarm every few seconds with no explanation other than "Alarm is off". I don't understand what it means or how to stop it.

This has been one of my most regretful purchases in the history of saltwater reef keeping.
Alarms.png

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens when a sensor is toggling so quickly that the Apex doesn’t have time to send the initial Alarm On notification before sending the Alarm Off notification.

Add this line to your EmailAlm code to force the alarm to remain active long enough to send the initial Alarm On notification before turning off the alarm:

Min Time 000:30 Then ON

This will help you identify the source of the alarm, then you can investigate what’s causing the sensor to toggle so quickly.

See my tutorial on Apex Alarms for more tips and details on optimizing and prioritizing your alarms:

OP
OP
R

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Apex Fusion <[email protected]>​

12:08 PM (0 minutes ago)
to me

Statement: If Swx3_2 CLOSED Then ON Date: 2021-06-02 12:08:27 -0400

I'm now getting this, which is great. But I don't understand why I'm getting it.

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your Apex have float switches used with an ATO? Did you purchase this unit used?

Basically, when Swx3_2 is CLOSED it'll trigger the alarm. Any idea what function this switch serves? ATO low float? Skimmer full float? An ATO switch that's getting knocked around by water movement will "chatter". Could be a loose wire on breakout box. Personally, if you don't think it's an actual switch performing its intended function, albeit erratically, I'd lean towards a wire being loose.

Trust me and everyone else with an APEX, you won't regret the purchase once you're more acclimated to the system.

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“If Swx3_2 CLOSED Then ON” is most likely the upper optical sensor on the ATK. Read my ATK tutorial to make sure yours is set up properly and follow the listed troubleshooting instructions to test your optical sensors:

OP
OP
R

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast forward 6 months, and I still hate this whole entire device and everything about it. As a last attempt to fix the latest issue, can anyone help with this:

I just installed a filter roller. The rolling of the filter affects the sump level, and it's triggering my alarm for ATK hi every few minutes (yay). Is there a way to put a "if atk hi closed for X minutes then on" to the alarm?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fast forward 6 months, and I still hate this whole entire device and everything about it. As a last attempt to fix the latest issue, can anyone help with this:

I just installed a filter roller. The rolling of the filter affects the sump level, and it's triggering my alarm for ATK hi every few minutes (yay). Is there a way to put a "if atk hi closed for X minutes then on" to the alarm?
Resurrecting this thread as I’m still dealing with this crap. Fortunately I’m going back to a gravity fed ATO. I think this is one the worst ATO’s ever designed. You can’t adjust the optical sensors height to each other, constant alarms out of the box and the sensors fail all the time. ATO’s should be simple to use and program (if at all). I really hope they redesign this thing from the ground up, because it’s horrible. Sorry, had to vent. A simple valve with float switches connected to the BOB out performs this thing all day long. Plus, sw_2 would remove itself from the dashboard, then weeks later it would show up as a new tile. I was going to sell it after I get the gravity fed ATO online, but I wouldn’t want to pass on this nightmare to someone else. Okay, no my rant is over, maybe…..

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Late to the party and I’m new to apex but I’m pretty sure you are looking for the DEFER command. You can read the reef2reef tutorials for the info

Magusdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose any one have a code for this "if atk hi closed for X minutes then on" to the alarm?,
I'm getting notifications every time the low Sen for ATO is open as this happens a lot through out the day its a little bit annoying

If Hi_Sen CLOSED Then ON
If Lo_Sen OPEN Then OFF

I tried: If Lo_Sen OPEN Defer 003:00 Then ON
This dose not work, It won't load into Apex
Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 11.35.33 AM.png

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back