Apex and Vectra pumps control-ability "The Run Around Game"

Would you like to get a straight answer?

• Yes

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

seitzjh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this so funny, but at the same time very very annoying for both company's pointing the finger. They both are great company's, but come on with blame game. My question just like everyone else out there, is Vectra pumps ever going to be able to be controlled by Apex? The two other Ecotech products are controllable through apex why not Vectra. Yes, Neptune has the COR. Big deal! Everyone may not want the COR. Yes, Ecotech has the ReefLink. Big deal too! Everyone may not want the ReefLink.

The answers we get from both parties.

Ecotech: From email "Unfortunately, that is not an answer I have for you, as we do not work with Apex. They are a second market controller company that develops the controllers they choose. We do not have any say with what they pick to control."

Neptune: From Facebook official Neptune group "Once again, ask Ecotech. They must give us the capability."

Come on guys you both are seating there pointing the finger at each other. It's just like what my kids do to each other. So what is the actual truth or can we get a straight answer? Can anyone enlighten the community!

@Terence maybe you can help clarify why we can't get a straight answer.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this so funny, but at the same time very very annoying for both company's pointing the finger. They both are great company's, but come on with blame game. My question just like everyone else out there, is Vectra pumps ever going to be able to be controlled by Apex? The two other Ecotech products are controllable through apex why not Vectra. Yes, Neptune has the COR. Big deal! Everyone may not want the COR. Yes, Ecotech has the ReefLink. Big deal too! Everyone may not want the ReefLink.

The answers we get from both parties.

Ecotech: From email "Unfortunately, that is not an answer I have for you, as we do not work with Apex. They are a second market controller company that develops the controllers they choose. We do not have any say with what they pick to control."

Neptune: From Facebook official Neptune group "Once again, ask Ecotech. They must give us the capability."

Come on guys you both are seating there pointing the finger at each other. It's just like what my kids do to each other. So what is the actual truth or can we get a straight answer? Can anyone enlighten the community!

@Terence maybe you can help clarify why we can't get a straight answer.

I'm sure the real answer lies with both companies not willing to work together and allocate resources to finding the solution. I guess both figure that if they don't open up their access, the user will just buy their pump and be done with it.

When your selling your own pump/controller you tailor to your own products first which is reasonable from a company stand-point but I agree its frustrating as a user. Its one of my main issues with the two Maxspect gyre 280's I purchased a while ago - my APEX can't control it. I just got tired of the run-around and went with Tunze which I know works with APEX.

Your poll question is hilarious though haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
seitzjh

seitzjh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure the real answer lies with both companies not willing to work together and allocate resources to finding the solution. I guess both figure that if they don't open up their access, the user will just buy their pump and be done with it.

When your selling your own pump/controller you tailor to your own products first which is reasonable from a company stand-point but I agree its frustrating as a user.

True on the point for having there own pump. We can still get other pumps to work on it. Why not cut all that off too. I thought they started as a "universal" control?

I have the same situation I also have 2 Maxspect 280's.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True on the point for having there own pump. We can still get other pumps to work on it. Why not cut all that off too. I thought they started as a "universal" control?

I mean I can't speak for either of them because I don't know the actual reasons why, but I would have to assume they see each other as direct competitors that are both trying to put a dent in the pump and powerhead market. Even if we see one mainly as a universal controller brand and the other as lighting and pumps. Similar to Apple locking you in to making it a pain to use Microsoft devices on their platform.

I agree, I hate being 'locked' in to using a specific type of hardware. Just because I like my APEX doesn't mean I wouldn't want to use an Ecotech pump and vis versa. I have an Apex and all pumps are Red Dragon except for my return which is Reeflo so I'm glad my stuff works with my controller flawlessly; I avoid being locked in to any one company as much as I can.

OP
OP
seitzjh

seitzjh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I can't speak for either of them because I don't know the actual reasons why, but I would have to assume they see each other as direct competitors that are both trying to put a dent in the pump and powerhead market. Even if we see one mainly as a universal controller brand and the other as lighting and pumps. Similar to Apple locking you in to making it a pain to use Microsoft devices on their platform.

I agree, I hate being 'locked' in to using a specific type of hardware. Just because I like my APEX doesn't mean I wouldn't want to use an Ecotech pump and vis versa. I have an Apex and all pumps are Red Dragon except for my return which is Reeflo so I'm glad my stuff works with my controller flawlessly; I avoid being locked in to any one company as much as I can.

This is a good friendly conversation. Maybe start a revolution against them. Wait! Maybe not, they might crash are tanks. I take that back. LOL

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good friendly conversation. Maybe start a revolution against them. Wait! Maybe not, they might crash are tanks. I take that back. LOL

LOL I was going to say I'm surprised none of the software guru's on here have been able to crack the code open to both platforms. I mean, if there are guys that can crack the code and get free satellite TV, I would think this would be a walk in the park haha

OP
OP
seitzjh

seitzjh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I was going to say I'm surprised none of the software guru's on here have been able to crack the code open to both platforms. I mean, if there are guys that can crack the code and get free satellite TV, I would think this would be a walk in the park haha

I'm pretty shocked on that.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am firmly of the view that one should not put ‘all your eggs in one basket’ so whether vectra is apex controlled or not is mostly a meh to me. When I bought my vectra 3 1/2 years ago I did find it vaguely annoying to also have to buy a reeflink, but I’ve subsequently found it useful for my radions so c’est la vie. I tend to think the ‘fault’ lies with ETM, as the Vectra predated COR by over two years.

OP
OP
seitzjh

seitzjh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am firmly of the view that one should not put ‘all your eggs in one basket’ so whether vectra is apex controlled or not is mostly a meh to me. When I bought my vectra 3 1/2 years ago I did find it vaguely annoying to also have to buy a reeflink, but I’ve subsequently found it useful for my radions so c’est la vie. I tend to think the ‘fault’ lies with ETM, as the Vectra predated COR by over two years.

I do agree with don't put all your eggs in one basket. If in issued happened with the apex i would just run my pumps and lights independently. There is always a work around. I guess it would the convents of having everything on one platform.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I understand. I just mostly gave up, now have apex, reeflink, ghl and Kessil. Gads ..... gives me a headache.

Porkchopz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see them come to a decent middle ground. I see good points from both sides as they are competitors, but at the same time most people would like devices from both vendors. So... here's the compromise:

ETM and Neptune work together to get people what they want... control on the Apex for Vectra pumps.

Then... they compete on features. For instance Neptune could provide basic control of the Vectra pumps, but give much greater control of their COR pumps to show more data and finer detail and control. I can say that if they had the larger COR pump as an option with the same connection as the smaller... I'd have bought that, but hey don't. I would have been willing to get the COR over the Vectra for the simpler connection, better integration etc... but since they didn't have the better connection on the larger pump I went for the Vectra features.

I see it as a win win for both companies... Neptune customers are happy because they can now control what they want and ETM customers are happy because they can get the pump they want and still get control from the Apex they have a large investment in.

It's Christmas... ETM and Neptune... lets come together and give us all a nice present!

OP
OP
seitzjh

seitzjh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see them come to a decent middle ground. I see good points from both sides as they are competitors, but at the same time most people would like devices from both vendors. So... here's the compromise:

ETM and Neptune work together to get people what they want... control on the Apex for Vectra pumps.

Then... they compete on features. For instance Neptune could provide basic control of the Vectra pumps, but give much greater control of their COR pumps to show more data and finer detail and control. I can say that if they had the larger COR pump as an option with the same connection as the smaller... I'd have bought that, but hey don't. I would have been willing to get the COR over the Vectra for the simpler connection, better integration etc... but since they didn't have the better connection on the larger pump I went for the Vectra features.

I see it as a win win for both companies... Neptune customers are happy because they can now control what they want and ETM customers are happy because they can get the pump they want and still get control from the Apex they have a large investment in.

It's Christmas... ETM and Neptune... lets come together and give us all a nice present!

That would be a great step forward.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back