Apex Auto Feeder Pellets

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am going out of town next week and wanted to get any tips on using my auto feeder. Last night I opened up the feeder one notch which increased the amount of pellets coming out by at least 5x. I was on the setting that allowed about 10 pellets to be delivered 4 times a day and I was also feeding 3 cubes of frozen. Today it is now set to deliver food 3 times throughout the day and i bet it drops 50 pellets. I feel like this is roughly the same amount of food but ill be testing nutrients every day this week to see.

I am currently using the neptune pellets and wanted to hear anyone elses opinion on if they increased phosphates and or nitrates significantly? right now my nitrates are very low around 2 and phosphates are.1. i dont really care about phosphates but i wouldnt want a spike while out of town. nitrates i am dosing on a doser and i worry about them hitting zero with all the coral i have in there. so i feel like it would be safer to over feed for a week than to under feed. correct me if im wrong though.

thanks,

Nick

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

I am going out of town next week and wanted to get any tips on using my auto feeder. Last night I opened up the feeder one notch which increased the amount of pellets coming out by at least 5x. I was on the setting that allowed about 10 pellets to be delivered 4 times a day and I was also feeding 3 cubes of frozen. Today it is now set to deliver food 3 times throughout the day and i bet it drops 50 pellets. I feel like this is roughly the same amount of food but ill be testing nutrients every day this week to see.

I am currently using the neptune pellets and wanted to hear anyone elses opinion on if they increased phosphates and or nitrates significantly? right now my nitrates are very low around 2 and phosphates are.1. i dont really care about phosphates but i wouldnt want a spike while out of town. nitrates i am dosing on a doser and i worry about them hitting zero with all the coral i have in there. so i feel like it would be safer to over feed for a week than to under feed. correct me if im wrong though.

thanks,

Nick
I use TDO pellets
Prime reef flakes
Formula 1 & 2 pellets
Hikari seaweed pellets

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

thanks,

Nick
All of this sounds reasonable to me. You’re testing the feeder for a week before you leave and I agree that I would rather my nitrates get a little higher than I’d like instead of dropping to zero.
I have never used those pellets though so I can’t comment on how they will affect water quality. I’ve always used NLS pellets in my AFS.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine on the first click open but I give it three rotations each time. I find that gives me better control over how much is dispensed. Two clicks dumps too much food with a single rotation.

I do that 4 times a day so the fish get 12 rotations a day.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back