Apex Battery Backup Monitoring

zpete3323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Working on building a beefy battery backup system after our latest power outage mini-crash... this system is a complete off grid lithium battery bank (400ah) with 3000/6000W inverter to power everything for a couple days but I'm looking to be able to monitor battery voltage using the Apex. Any suggestions?

Basically just need a readout on the Apex app to show battery voltage and alert me if it reaches a about 10% above my low voltage cutout. I already have it alerting when the power goes out with a 120v to 12v plug to the apex head unit.

Any assistance would be amazing!

-Zack
20220530_181008.jpg

OP
OP
zpete3323

zpete3323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang I didn't even think about using a switch input! I'll just throw a pi at it and have it signal when voltage is low.

Thank you!
Not as ideal as having a real time graph but it works.

OP
OP
zpete3323

zpete3323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not as ideal as having a real time graph but it works.
I wonder if I set it up as a flow sensor input and set the resistance of the pi to match a 0 - 100 scale as if it were 0-100 GPH?

That way I would have a constant readout of battery percentage

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your battery charger should have form A, B or C contacts for battery alarms. The one's I use for work typically have alarms for Low volts, high volts, DC Output failure, and DC input failure. The nicer ones also do automated load tests and alert when these don't pass.

If it has these, you can just wire that alarm contact into one of the switch inputs of a breakout box.

If it doesn't, check with the manufacturer of your charging system and see if they can add on that feature.

Just monitoring the voltage level on the battery will not tell you if you have a problem with your batteries. The reason for this is the battery charger will maintain the voltage at the float voltage even if your battery is failed.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this with a Multimeter when the inverter system is turned on. Verify if NO to COM is OPEN or CLOSED under normal operation. Kill the power to your combipower system. Check the contact again.

If this test shows CLOSED under normal conditions and OPEN when disabled as I expect, wire the NO and COM to your BOB. Set your alarm to alert on OPEN. If the test showed the opposite, wire NC and COM. Set your alarm tp alert on OPEN.

Screenshot_20220606-121113_Office.jpg

OP
OP
zpete3323

zpete3323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your battery charger should have form A, B or C contacts for battery alarms. The one's I use for work typically have alarms for Low volts, high volts, DC Output failure, and DC input failure. The nicer ones also do automated load tests and alert when these don't pass.

If it has these, you can just wire that alarm contact into one of the switch inputs of a breakout box.

If it doesn't, check with the manufacturer of your charging system and see if they can add on that feature.

Just monitoring the voltage level on the battery will not tell you if you have a problem with your batteries. The reason for this is the battery charger will maintain the voltage at the float voltage even if your battery is failed.
Hmm I'll have to check. I believe mastevolt combimaster has a 6 pin output and I honestly never played around with them. I'll check out the manual for it to ight and see what I can come up with.

The combimaster is a inverter and charge controller combo with a CZone interface which is pretty broad in its capabilities. So I would assume there would be SOMETHING that could work for my case

Thank you!

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I'll have to check. I believe mastevolt combimaster has a 6 pin output and I honestly never played around with them. I'll check out the manual for it to ight and see what I can come up with.

The combimaster is a inverter and charge controller combo with a CZone interface which is pretty broad in its capabilities. So I would assume there would be SOMETHING that could work for my case

Thank you!
Look at my second post. There are alarm contacts for the unit you have. I found the manual online.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back