Apex Classic erratic readings (but only during certain time of day)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in the Neptune forums also earlier today. No replies as of yet.
Figured posting here too can't hurt.

Some background info for ya first. About 2 weeks ago I constructed a new retro light rack consisting of 3- 250w halides and 4 single bulb T5 actinic units. The T5 units are fully self contained Reef Brights and the halides are 3 Luxcore ballasts. Everything is new. I basically replaced a light rack I've had on my system for 5+ years with one a bit larger for more coverage. All aluminum frame construction.

Temp readings started going haywire when I installed the new lights. At first I didn't make the connection. My temp probe was about 7 years old so I figured it just crapped out on me. Ordered 2 new ones. Replaced the old one and thing worked fine again but only for a couple days. Then erratic readings again.

Over the past several days I've noticed a pattern. My halides are set to come on daily at 12:30pm and shut off at 10:30pm. As soon as they turn on the temp reading instantly drops to about 65 degrees. When they shut off at 10:30 temp readout returns to normal at roughly 77. T5's on or off don't effect readings. So I'm thinking RF interference right? But everything related to the halides are several feet away from both the brain controller and temp probe/wire. Puzzling

But here's the kicker... I also noticed that whenever I turn off the return pump for feedings or whatever the temp reading drops to ~ 25 degrees. When return pump is turned back on the reading climbs back up to about 65 again. At 10:30pm when halides go off temp readouts return to normal and remain normal all night long until next day when halides come back on. any ideas? I have since ordered and received a new control module. Worst case scenario I'll have a backup now. I have tens of thousands invested and am not willing to lose it over a $300 part.

In the pic below the flat line is over night consistency. The first dip is halide on time and the 2 deep dips are the 2 10min daily feedings. Feb 16-18 is when I installed the new probe.

Any thoughts/ ideas are welcome. Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some background info for ya first. About 2 weeks ago I constructed a new retro light rack consisting of 3- 250w halides and 4 single bulb T5 actinic units. The T5 units are fully self contained Reef Brights and the halides are 3 Luxcore ballasts. Everything is new. I basically replaced a light rack I've had on my system for 5+ years with one a bit larger for more coverage. All aluminum frame construction.

Temp readings started going haywire when I installed the new lights. At first I didn't make the connection. My temp probe was about 7 years old so I figured it just crapped out on me. Ordered 2 new ones. Replaced the old one and thing worked fine again but only for a couple days. Then erratic readings again.

Over the past several days I've noticed a pattern. My halides are set to come on daily at 12:30pm and shut off at 10:30pm. As soon as they turn on the temp reading instantly drops to about 65 degrees. When they shut off at 10:30 temp readout returns to normal at roughly 77. T5's on or off don't effect readings. So I'm thinking RF interference right? But everything related to the halides are several feet away from both the brain controller and temp probe/wire. Puzzling

But here's the kicker... I also noticed that whenever I turn off the return pump for feedings or whatever the temp reading drops to ~ 25 degrees. When return pump is turned back on the reading climbs back up to about 65 again. At 10:30pm when halides go off temp readouts return to normal and remain normal all night long until next day when halides come back on. any ideas? I have since ordered and received a new control module. Worst case scenario I'll have a backup now. I have tens of thousands invested and am not willing to lose it over a $300 part.

In the pic below the flat line is over night consistency. The first dip is halide on time and the 2 deep dips are the 2 10min daily feedings. Feb 16-18 is when I installed the new probe.

Are your lights plugged into an EB8?

I am guessing you have some form of ground developing in your system that is causing the issue. That ground could be impacting the reference voltage used to determine temperature.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Its common for ballast or wiring, and stray current to interfere with readings. Try to keep your temp cord/probe as far away as possible from other wiring

OP
OP
cato

cato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your lights plugged into an EB8?

I am guessing you have some form of ground developing in your system that is causing the issue. That ground could be impacting the reference voltage used to determine temperature.

Yes my lights are plugged into an EB8 that's dedicated only to the lights.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my lights are plugged into an EB8 that's dedicated only to the lights.
Does the USB cable connecting that EB8 connect directly to the device your temperature probe is plugged into (guessing the base unit)?

If it is, can you try to daisy chain it through a different device?

Crmddp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having basically the same issue with my temp probe and my ph probe. I've been on numerous Neptune support sessions to try and figure it out. Replaced the head unit portion and it still does it. My last suggestion from the Neptune team was to keep all wires from touching any other wires as I have all my wiring running through one hole going into the sump area of the tank. I'll be drilling a new hole to run the probes through this weekend.

OP
OP
cato

cato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the USB cable connecting that EB8 connect directly to the device your temperature probe is plugged into (guessing the base unit)?

I don't think so but will double check when I get home from work. Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so but will double check when I get home from work. Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated.
Glad to try and help as long as you don't mind that without being there and seeing exactly how things are set up all I can do is throw darts at the board.

If you are up to trying something else.... put a non Apex controlled power strip, plugged into the same outlet as the EB8, as close to the lighting EB8 as possible and plug the lights into it. If the temp probe reads correctly with the lights plugged into this new power strip that will eliminate the possibility that the reading error is caused by power cord routing. We might still need to look at communication cable routing but it would help eliminate a few things.

OP
OP
cato

cato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Played around a bit last night. Found out that if halides are off I can shut off return pump to feed without any effect on the temp readouts. But when halides are still on and I shut off return pump it makes temp readouts even wackier. Bizarre. Some how some way I'm thinking it's gotta be the halides causing the issue.

OP
OP
cato

cato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Still need to try this. ^^

Lynchmob3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When pump is on and you stick you hands in the water and say touch your light rack does it give you a little zap?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back