Apex classic rebooting every 10 minutes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Aaronhome27

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune hasn't been of any help with the issue. I did go through quite a few emails back and forth with them. But nothing came of it. So I'm stuck here hanging. Lost my return pump the day after it went through the reboot issue. I'm stuck with buying a 2016 model or running a hard wire across the floor. They told me it must be my router or internet. Makes no sense to me but that how these things go. They logged into my computer last time and set my router up to make sure I wouldn't have any issues. Month later I did have issues as stated, and nothing was changed. I know what it's doing and there is no way to fix it. It just seems that with poor internet there should be some type of safety that keeps from rebooting. My guess is that, since the internet signal gets weak, it's sending corrupt packages to fusion. To fix this it's rebooting. And yes it is full cycle off then on reboot where everything powers down for a second or two, then back on. Only thing I can see is that my internet service goes from 120mbps download / 20 mbps upload to 80 mbps download / 2 mbps upload. When I had issues last time my service went down like this. Its usable service just slower. Neptune also told me that my router is likely changing setting for security. Only thing is, I haven't touched the router since they made chances to the settings. So nothing has been done to it. The system reboot comes and goes. It last for a day then it doesn't happen again. There's a bug somewhere that I now see is known and isn't in the works to get fixed. Sadly Ivw learned to rely on my Apex. Definitely not something I'd recommend to someone who doesn't have one yet. Learn to do it old school and don't rely on an Apex

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My situation did end up being the router. I am still using the Netgear WNCE3001 gaming adapter as before. When I connected it directly to the cable providers wifi network bypassing my own router, the issue stopped so for me it was a weak wifi signal from and old router. There are some free or trial softwares and apps available that can help to map wifi signal strength. This would be a good first step to determine if you need to change placement of the router or add a signal repeater between the tank and the wifi access point

OP
OP
Aaronhome27

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My situation did end up being the router. I am still using the Netgear WNCE3001 gaming adapter as before. When I connected it directly to the cable providers wifi network bypassing my own router, the issue stopped so for me it was a weak wifi signal from and old router. There are some free or trial softwares and apps available that can help to map wifi signal strength. This would be a good first step to determine if you need to change placement of the router or add a signal repeater between the tank and the wifi access point
My router is 15 feet from my tank. Although it is close it can't have a hard wire due to having a hallway on each side and headers over the area it passes through. I've got a netgear powerline adapter now. It works great until internet issues arise. I've purchased 3 routers over this whole issue now. All do the same. The powerline is nearly the same as a wired connection.

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All thinks considered the only common items left are your internet provider and their equipment and your power line adapter. Can you run CAT6 temporarily for a day or 2 to determine if it is the powerlines? Remember the network signal is traveling along lines that already have AC noise on them and if the 2 wall plugs are on different circuits the data packets are traveling all the way to the box and then back. I personally would trust my wifi gaming adapter before using powerline adapters but that's my opinion only.

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run insteon smart home devices which use the wire for the smart signal and there is always discussion about line noise causing issues so I would think tcp network data packets that require sequencing and acknowledgement could be affected by AC line noise

OP
OP
Aaronhome27

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware that I will have some interference with anything short of a direct cat 6 line run. Thats the point of the post. If there is interference the system should either just go offline or have a safety measure that doesn't shut the system down to reboot. I can't replicate the issue. It's happened twice in 4 months. Each time I run a direct cat 6 line across the floor. It doesn't have issues then but neither does it when I connect it back up to the powerline adapter. What is happening is its getting a corrupt packet of some type. May be due to internet or interference. The system is sold as wifi campatible which I feel it is not. Some have luck with it using a simple gaming controller. Some have no luck at all. As stated by several in this post and quite a few online it's a known issue that hasn't been fixed. Was hoping that with this post someone would have first hand knowledge of a fix for this since now it's cost me a pump before I caught it.

OP
OP
Aaronhome27

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

I upgraded tanks. In doing so I planned to put my router right in my tank cabinet. I set the tank up right next to a cable hardwired line so that I could do this. I spent some time playing with it a bit before I was to move my router. Guess I found what caused this whole issue. If you've read through the whole thread you'll see that Neptune rep spent an hour on the phone with me and also connected to my computer to go through settings I Apex and my home wifi. He changed a few things and it never worked.

I went through all of that again hoping to not have to move the router by my tank. I found the issue. My router was set to AUTO for chennel selection. Best I can guess is that everytime it switch channels it was interfering with something in fusion causing it to reboot. Hopefully neptune can fix this as I don't want mderstand why it caused it to reboot,,, but it did. So now it's locked into one channel and hasn't reboot. When I hooked this tank up to fusion it did the same as mentioned before. It was rebooting many times daily. Now it hasn't done so in over 2 weeks.

Few pics of the new tank shown below

IMG_20190418_204118.jpg

IMG_20190418_204006.jpg

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few hiccups when I first set up my classic. I found that a wireless router just doesn't work on this unit for wifi functionality. After a lot of troubleshooting with members here as well as neptune rep I replaced the net gear router (that is recommended on the neptune site) with a powerline adapter that was recommended here. Had I know all that I would have just gone with the 2016 model because in the end it would have been cheaper. Nonetheless I own it and it has been working great for 2 months or so on the powerline adapter till last night.

I was sitting in my living room and I noticed my Apex went through a reboot cycle. Shutting down everything then back up it went. It had never done that before. So I watched to see what could be going on. It did it again a few minutes later. After 4 or 5 reboot I unplugged the eithernet from the powerline adapter and rebooted my home router. I waited a while and the Apex never boot cycled again. So I connected the powerline back up and sure enough it went into the reboot cycle again. It was late so I unplugged the powerline again to make sure it wouldn't reboot once I went to bed. It never did it again.

Next morning I reboot my home wifi again. Reconnect the Apex to the powerline adapter and it hasn't done the reboot cycle again. I have no clue why it was doing this. I hadn't changed a thing since the system was set up and finally running without issue. Then for no apparent reason the boot cycle began. Then it was gone. I'd like to prevent that from happening again but I can't replicate it. My concern is burning up some pumps if I'm gone and it does a long series of reboot. I didn't get any alarms by text or email. The system log only showed one loss of power that was never sent as a warning. This issue was fixed by unplugging internet from the system overnight.
I currently have a ticket open with neptune's for this exact thing, they said its a somthing on my network like phone computer etc causing it, I don't believe that but I have to disconnect my wifi devices one at a time and see what triggers it and dose not.

OP
OP
Aaronhome27

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a ticket open with neptune's for this exact thing, they said its a somthing on my network like phone computer etc causing it, I don't believe that but I have to disconnect my wifi devices one at a time and see what triggers it and dose not.
I was told the same thing. I spent countless hours in this. Even months. It got to where I couldn't even hook my Apex up to wifi at all or it would reboot my system over and over again. If I connected it to wifi it was guaranteed to crash in the next 24 hours. Since I switched my router over from auto to locked into a channel it's worked flawlessly. Granted that wifi signal isnt as good now because it does get interference but that doesn't affect the Apex. That channel switching did. I tested it out and manually changed the channels in the router and it did crash my Apex and caused it to reboot. So if the signal has interference and your router is set to auto select channels it will crash it. We'll atleast it did while using my arris router. Cit didn't matter what gaming controller I had connected to the Apex. They all crashed the same.

OP
OP
Aaronhome27

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the drawing board. After several weeks of no crashes it's started again. I reset my router and it stopped. Something on the router is causing the issue. I still don't see why there isn't some kind of built in safety to prevent this from happening. But if it's very isolated I guess it would take a lot of work to find out how to stop it. I would figure they would atleast have something there as a general safety though. I came in from fishing offshore to the wife saying she came home to the tank crashing and restarting over and over. Luckily she knew where the ethernet cable was and unplugged it.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
My apex JR (classic) just started rebooting.

I actually don't use fusion nuch and don't like the reboots which are few times a day.

Anyone know how to disconnect fusion?

*** NEVER MIND *** I found the REMOVE feature in FUsion. See if that stops the reboots.

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does this periodically and I'm not using wifi. I'm hardwired to my router.
Well when I removed fusion it still kept rebooting. So it's not network related. I have a older Apex, so it's Hardwired (no wifi)

I opened a ticket with Neptune. They suggested I reload bootloader firmware.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's wired to your router, it's still connected to the net. Only time my classic reboots is when I'm torrenting(using all my bandwidth), or my ISP is wonky. And yes I'm hardwired to my router.

When I had issues as I stated earlier in the thread, neptune told me it was because the apex was loosing connection to fusion(why they designed the software this way ius beyond me, but it's what I was told and have experienced).

Unplug your apex from your router, bet it never reboots. I tried this for several months, and while it was removed from fusion, and unplugged from my router, it never rebooted.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's wired to your router, it's still connected to the net. Only time my classic reboots is when I'm torrenting(using all my bandwidth), or my ISP is wonky. And yes I'm hardwired to my router.

When I had issues as I stated earlier in the thread, neptune told me it was because the apex was loosing connection to fusion(why they designed the software this way ius beyond me, but it's what I was told and have experienced).

Unplug your apex from your router, bet it never reboots. I tried this for several months, and while it was removed from fusion, and unplugged from my router, it never rebooted.
I hear your point. Yet, if I removed Apex JR from Apex FUsion it's just on my LAN.
( I guess what you are saying, is IF removed from Fusion it still tries to talk to WAN, for some strange unknown, uneeded reason)
I guess I could remove it from LAN, but then I loose access for Config and control.
Hoping the Firmware fix does it.
Strange, it hasn't re-booted today. Or maybe I never noticed.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im having this issue tonight and it’s annoying. I can hear my tunze ato alarm go off and I know the apex just restarted itself, checked fusion And it’s connected. I don’t see any log in my UPS or apex of power disruption. ;Bored

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im having this issue tonight and it’s annoying. I can hear my tunze ato alarm go off and I know the apex just restarted itself, checked fusion And it’s connected. I don’t see any log in my UPS or apex of power disruption. ;Bored
Hey there,
I had the same problem over last few days. I opened a ticket with Neptune.
Still haven't done this, and it appears the reboots have stopped, but maybe I noticed it more on the weekend.

This is what Neptune said (Shows method to monitor if you apex is rebooting)

I did the syslog.txt and my message looks like below proving my apex did reboot last time this Monday.

11/11/2019 11:03:14 initfs: System Restart
11/11/2019 11:03:46 initfs: Push secure stream opened

---------------------------------- MESSAGE FROM NEPTUNE SYSTEMS ---------------------------
Thank you for your inquiry and I am sorry to hear about this situation you are having with the Apex Jr. We will see if the bootloader needs to be updated and run some reports for us.

Can you please try updating your Bootloader.

Using the display module and go to System> Bootloader Update. Click on it twice. The Apex will either reboot or it may not reboot and that is ok, but it's important to click on it twice.
If the Apex still reboots than try the steps below.

1: Look at your System Log
Let's pretend your APEX IP Address is 192.168.2.59
To look at your system then would be http://192.168.2.59/syslog.txt
Look at the LAST RECENT time stamp. Remember it.

Send us what the system log shows.

2. Unplug from the internet
Unplug the Internet Connection from the APEX. Leave it unplugged for 12-24 hours.

3. Rechecking System Log
After that amount of time has gone by plug the internet back into the APEX.
Recheck the System Log again.
Remember the last time stamp you were supposed to remember?
Now, look at the system log again
What was the last time stamp logging now? Was it a restart?
How many in between?

Did it reboot many if at all during that 12-24 hour period?

Please let us know if you have any other questions, or need any additional clarification.

Please Reference Ticket: http://support.neptunesystems.com/helpdesk/tickets/152571

Thank you,

Neptune Systems Support Team

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the reboot problem immediately after upgrading the firmware (4.53_AB17) over the weekend. Pretty much immediately after the upgrade, my apex started rebooting between 6-20+ times a day.. almost hourly.

I submitted a ticket and noticed there was a new firmware update already.. Version 4.53_4D19.... In the firmware notes, it says it "Addresses an issue that sometimes would cause spurious reboots of an Apex Classic due to poor Internet or local network connectivity. "

After updating to 4.53_4D19, my apex classic appears to stop rebooting.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the reboot problem immediately after upgrading the firmware (4.53_AB17) over the weekend. Pretty much immediately after the upgrade, my apex started rebooting between 6-20+ times a day.. almost hourly.

I submitted a ticket and noticed there was a new firmware update already.. Version 4.53_4D19.... In the firmware notes, it says it "Addresses an issue that sometimes would cause spurious reboots of an Apex Classic due to poor Internet or local network connectivity. "

After updating to 4.53_4D19, my apex classic appears to stop rebooting.

Looks like I’ll have to try that.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back