Apex classic rebooting every 10 minutes

Discussion in 'Neptune Systems' started by Aaronhome27, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Aaronhome27

Aaronhome27 Active Member R2R Supporter

Neptune hasn't been of any help with the issue. I did go through quite a few emails back and forth with them. But nothing came of it. So I'm stuck here hanging. Lost my return pump the day after it went through the reboot issue. I'm stuck with buying a 2016 model or running a hard wire across the floor. They told me it must be my router or internet. Makes no sense to me but that how these things go. They logged into my computer last time and set my router up to make sure I wouldn't have any issues. Month later I did have issues as stated, and nothing was changed. I know what it's doing and there is no way to fix it. It just seems that with poor internet there should be some type of safety that keeps from rebooting. My guess is that, since the internet signal gets weak, it's sending corrupt packages to fusion. To fix this it's rebooting. And yes it is full cycle off then on reboot where everything powers down for a second or two, then back on. Only thing I can see is that my internet service goes from 120mbps download / 20 mbps upload to 80 mbps download / 2 mbps upload. When I had issues last time my service went down like this. Its usable service just slower. Neptune also told me that my router is likely changing setting for security. Only thing is, I haven't touched the router since they made chances to the settings. So nothing has been done to it. The system reboot comes and goes. It last for a day then it doesn't happen again. There's a bug somewhere that I now see is known and isn't in the works to get fixed. Sadly Ivw learned to rely on my Apex. Definitely not something I'd recommend to someone who doesn't have one yet. Learn to do it old school and don't rely on an Apex

2. Javamahn

Javamahn Active Member

My situation did end up being the router. I am still using the Netgear WNCE3001 gaming adapter as before. When I connected it directly to the cable providers wifi network bypassing my own router, the issue stopped so for me it was a weak wifi signal from and old router. There are some free or trial softwares and apps available that can help to map wifi signal strength. This would be a good first step to determine if you need to change placement of the router or add a signal repeater between the tank and the wifi access point

3. Aaronhome27

My router is 15 feet from my tank. Although it is close it can't have a hard wire due to having a hallway on each side and headers over the area it passes through. I've got a netgear powerline adapter now. It works great until internet issues arise. I've purchased 3 routers over this whole issue now. All do the same. The powerline is nearly the same as a wired connection.

4. Javamahn

Javamahn Active Member

All thinks considered the only common items left are your internet provider and their equipment and your power line adapter. Can you run CAT6 temporarily for a day or 2 to determine if it is the powerlines? Remember the network signal is traveling along lines that already have AC noise on them and if the 2 wall plugs are on different circuits the data packets are traveling all the way to the box and then back. I personally would trust my wifi gaming adapter before using powerline adapters but that's my opinion only.

5. Javamahn

Javamahn Active Member

I run insteon smart home devices which use the wire for the smart signal and there is always discussion about line noise causing issues so I would think tcp network data packets that require sequencing and acknowledgement could be affected by AC line noise

6. Aaronhome27

I am aware that I will have some interference with anything short of a direct cat 6 line run. Thats the point of the post. If there is interference the system should either just go offline or have a safety measure that doesn't shut the system down to reboot. I can't replicate the issue. It's happened twice in 4 months. Each time I run a direct cat 6 line across the floor. It doesn't have issues then but neither does it when I connect it back up to the powerline adapter. What is happening is its getting a corrupt packet of some type. May be due to internet or interference. The system is sold as wifi campatible which I feel it is not. Some have luck with it using a simple gaming controller. Some have no luck at all. As stated by several in this post and quite a few online it's a known issue that hasn't been fixed. Was hoping that with this post someone would have first hand knowledge of a fix for this since now it's cost me a pump before I caught it.

7. Aaronhome27

UPDATE

I upgraded tanks. In doing so I planned to put my router right in my tank cabinet. I set the tank up right next to a cable hardwired line so that I could do this. I spent some time playing with it a bit before I was to move my router. Guess I found what caused this whole issue. If you've read through the whole thread you'll see that Neptune rep spent an hour on the phone with me and also connected to my computer to go through settings I Apex and my home wifi. He changed a few things and it never worked.

I went through all of that again hoping to not have to move the router by my tank. I found the issue. My router was set to AUTO for chennel selection. Best I can guess is that everytime it switch channels it was interfering with something in fusion causing it to reboot. Hopefully neptune can fix this as I don't want mderstand why it caused it to reboot,,, but it did. So now it's locked into one channel and hasn't reboot. When I hooked this tank up to fusion it did the same as mentioned before. It was rebooting many times daily. Now it hasn't done so in over 2 weeks.

Few pics of the new tank shown below

IMG_20190418_204118.jpg

IMG_20190418_204006.jpg

8. slayerhellfire

slayerhellfire Valuable Member

I currently have a ticket open with neptune's for this exact thing, they said its a somthing on my network like phone computer etc causing it, I don't believe that but I have to disconnect my wifi devices one at a time and see what triggers it and dose not.

9. Aaronhome27

I was told the same thing. I spent countless hours in this. Even months. It got to where I couldn't even hook my Apex up to wifi at all or it would reboot my system over and over again. If I connected it to wifi it was guaranteed to crash in the next 24 hours. Since I switched my router over from auto to locked into a channel it's worked flawlessly. Granted that wifi signal isnt as good now because it does get interference but that doesn't affect the Apex. That channel switching did. I tested it out and manually changed the channels in the router and it did crash my Apex and caused it to reboot. So if the signal has interference and your router is set to auto select channels it will crash it. We'll atleast it did while using my arris router. Cit didn't matter what gaming controller I had connected to the Apex. They all crashed the same.

10. Aaronhome27

Back to the drawing board. After several weeks of no crashes it's started again. I reset my router and it stopped. Something on the router is causing the issue. I still don't see why there isn't some kind of built in safety to prevent this from happening. But if it's very isolated I guess it would take a lot of work to find out how to stop it. I would figure they would atleast have something there as a general safety though. I came in from fishing offshore to the wife saying she came home to the tank crashing and restarting over and over. Luckily she knew where the ethernet cable was and unplugged it.

Draft saved Draft deleted