Apex Comprehensive Reference Manual

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The comprehensive reference manual on the Neptune systems document site is a version from October 2014. Has there really been no updates to this document in the past 5 years? This one has pictures of the Apex controller that does not even look like mine! E.g. All black (no orange), no salinity port reference in the diagrams, etc. Is there an up to date version somewhere?

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manual was originally written by a hobbyist, who got hired by Neptune. Since then, they seem to have elected to supply relevant information only on each piece of hardware, which is also available on-line. I guess they can't afford a full-time documentalist for the manual. I do find that the existing manual is especially good for coding information, but I don't have the latest and greatest Apex Controller, so I don't know if the manual adequately covers it or not. The Neptune Community Forums are a great source for information and answers ~ suggest you give them a try...

OP
OP
ReefKeeperElite

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manual was originally written by a hobbyist, who got hired by Neptune. Since then, they seem to have elected to supply relevant information only on each piece of hardware, which is also available on-line. I guess they can't afford a full-time documentalist for the manual. I do find that the existing manual is especially good for coding information, but I don't have the latest and greatest Apex Controller, so I don't know if the manual adequately covers it or not. The Neptune Community Forums are a great source for information and answers ~ suggest you give them a try...

Thanks for the explanation. Just seems odd that a controller that is so widely used has 5 year old documentation.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the explanation. Just seems odd that a controller that is so widely used has 5 year old documentation.

Neptune is notorious for having incredibly poor device documentation. Most of what you need clarified will have to come from places like Youtube, Neptune forums, and here on R2R.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manual is in desperate need of an upgrade, definitely.
There is so much that the Apex can do, but learning about it is half the battle.
After doing all the Get Started pages, it's worth going through the manual.
Especially the second half of the manual, with useful programming tips, discussion of power monitoring, etc.
Then it's a good idea to go to the Neptune community forum.
In particular, browse the Apex Programming and Configuration section. Read all sticky threads that might apply to you.
The sticky threads there have been kept up to date with each programming upgrade.
That will bring you up to date on all the coding that has been added or changed since the manual.
It's a piecemeal process, not straightforward enough.
What we all really would like is an 'Apex for Dummies', with all kinds of neat ideas and tricks we can copy. :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder, with fusion and all the programming wizards, how many people actually even use the manual. I personally prefer to just program each outlet without the wizards so it’s useful to me, but I bet I’m in the minority.

U

User1

View Badges
I wonder, with fusion and all the programming wizards, how many people actually even use the manual. I personally prefer to just program each outlet without the wizards so it’s useful to me, but I bet I’m in the minority.

I know this may be obvious but it really comes down to the end user. I'm coming from a Reef Angel so that is all we had at the end of the day. Wizard to setup but after that most everything was done custom. Clouds, alternating wave patterns through the day, random storm that includes 100% power head use, etc.

I've not tried any of this with my Apex. The only non wizard code I have is using the OSC function to create high and low tide with my Cor return pumps. I use it to alternate the return pump power on the left and right corners of my tanks Sea Swirls. Other than that, i've not explored much with it but know it can do a lot. Their code doesn't make sense to me though but again that is because I'm used to the Ardunio's code.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We know that the Wizards and Tasks are for basic stuff. If you want to do anything atypical, they won't cut it.
Also, people who just use the Wizards and Tasks never really understand how their Apex functions.
If they don't understand how it functions, they'll be completely lost if it malfunctions.

U

User1

View Badges
We know that the Wizards and Tasks are for basic stuff. If you want to do anything atypical, they won't cut it.
Also, people who just use the Wizards and Tasks never really understand how their Apex functions.
If they don't understand how it functions, they'll be completely lost if it malfunctions.

This is so very true.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, people who just use the Wizards and Tasks never really understand how their Apex functions. If they don't understand how it functions, they'll be completely lost if it malfunctions.

I don’t disagree. Doesn’t mean most folks go beyond the wizards though .....

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up on this thread, I have started a weekly article series of Apex programming tutorials here on R2R. Every Friday they will post a new topic. Here's the schedule:
  • Week 1 -- Introduction to Apex programming
  • Week 2 -- Timers: OSC, If Time, DOW, Defer, When, and Min Time
  • Week 3 -- ATK programming and troubleshooting
  • Week 4 -- Power Monitoring
  • Week 5 -- Virtual Outputs
  • Week 6 -- Alerts
  • Week 7 -- Feed Cycles
  • Week 8 -- Lunar Schedule and Lighting Profiles
You can follow along here: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials-part-1.685/

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back