APEX EB8 tripping GFCI only after power outage

Volcom6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have an older Apex gold series with a EB8 that works just fine until we have a power glitch. As soon as the power returns the EB8 is not powered and I have to hit the GFCI and it comes right back on and works fine.

I also have another GFCI power surge that I have my Radions and some other stuff plugged into and that does not trip after a power outage.

So not really understanding why just the EB8 would do this, but resets fine and runs fine afterwards. It’s ok if someone is home but if not then it just sits there and does nothing. Anybody else ever run into this before?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it always done this? I would probably replace the GFCI first with a quality brand (Levitron, Pass Semore, Legrand).

OP
OP
V

Volcom6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just set up this tank so it’s been running about 3 months and yes when I would lose power it has. I tried changing the GFCI I’ve used a shock buster power surge I tried everything and it still trips. Funny thing is I have a shockbuster GFCI power surge for my Radions and other things and that works fine. If I unplug stuff from my EB8 that stuff comes on just fine. So seems like it’s my EB8, but why just when the power comes back on does the EB8 not power back up or trips the GFCI? I would say a bad EB8 but figured it would trip it all the time. Kind of confused about this.

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not familiar with the EB8, however does it have a reset button on the back like the newer models? If so, maybe when it’s tripping you just need to reset it. With that said, I’ve had to replace multiple newer model energy bars because it kept tripping its own breaker and wouldn’t reset.

OP
OP
V

Volcom6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s not tripping the EB8 itself only the actual GFCI it’s plugged into. It works great till there is a power outage, then it does not come back on unless I go down and reset the GFCI itself. However if I unplug the EB8 and manually plug in the devices in the GFCI without the EB8 the GFCI does not trip. Just confused because the EB8 works great otherwise.

Steve Zee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I can provide some insight? For a few years manufacturers of PORTABLE (meaning a cord or corded devices connected to service power) GFCI’s required the user to reset or start manually. Did you know you are supposed to test your house “outlet gfci” before operating? The “idea” for awhile was to make it necessary to reset every time power was interrupted thus making it more likely for the user to perform a test. Horrible idea because it doesn’t work! We quickly came up with a system that would automatically test without interruption and then “re-start.” Not sure if this particular GFCI was something produced during that time but maybe? Otherwise, it might be cumulative current leakage that tends to be the problem with multiple devices on one GFCI.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are just getting a surge. Most GFCI's a questionable anyway and not trusted entirely.

For example, you always delay skimmer start up after power outage.

In the outlet programming simply type a line of code. This will delay start up 10 minutes. You do this for lighting and heaters as well adn take up in stages. Also if out let is 15 amp GFCI, then usage should best be below 8 amps on general use.

If Power Apex Off 010 Then OFF

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back