Apex Jr on the way! Have a few questions

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first Apex will be here soon and I wanted to be ready. When it says you can connect to the internet with the Ethernet cable, how does that work? Do I take the controller to my computer to set it up the first time? Do I need a computer next to the tank while I set it up? I know it doesn't come with Wifi but can that be added? I'm new to all this so any advice is helpful!!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you have a router? It's gets plugged into your router
I have a router but it's in another room. Can I buy something to plug the apex into that will wirelessly connect to the router? A hard connection to the router where it is isn't practical except for when I first set it up.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many have used the NetGear WNCE2001, but that model was discontinued some time ago.

A few possibilities:

http://netgear.com/home/products/net.../WN3000RP.aspx
http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-RE3000W/
http://www.belkin.com/us/F9K1106-Belkin/p/P-F9K1106/

There are other options beside WiFi. A different technology called Powerline networking can be used. They use transmit network traffic through your house electrical wiring. Powerline devices come in pairs... one unit gets plugged in to an electrical outlet near your router and a network cable is connected between it and a LAN port on the router. The other unit gets plugged in to a wall outlet (not a power-bar or an EnergyBar outlet) near the Apex and then you connect the Apex to it with a network cable.

http://www.tp-link.us/products/detai...PA4010KIT.html
http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-PLEK400/
http://netgear.com/home/products/net.../XAVB5221.aspx

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I plug the apex power bar into the power bar I already have? I have a few things I won't be using it for and they'll need plugs. There is a GFCI outlet installed and the power bar I have also has a surge protector.

Rob77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya dont update firmware without it being plugged directly to your router ..... done this once and spent like 5 hours with neptune getting it all fixed

Rob77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another mistake I made was now just wishing I had the full classic and not the jr ......dont get me wrong it works great I just have more $$$ in it with the extras I have ended up buying and IM not able to ad anymore modules

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I plug the apex power bar into the power bar I already have? I have a few things I won't be using it for and they'll need plugs. There is a GFCI outlet installed and the power bar I have also has a surge protector.
Yes you should be able to plug into your powerbar.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work but you will need a way to plug directly into your router for firmware updates. I bought a really long ethernet cable just for firmware updates back when I had an apex jr.
Can I remove the unit and take it to the computer for updates or is that an ordeal? I guess I could buy a long Ethernet cable like you did. The reason I want the wireless thing is so I can get emails and info on the app when I'm away.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I remove the unit and take it to the computer for updates or is that an ordeal? I guess I could buy a long Ethernet cable like you did. The reason I want the wireless thing is so I can get emails and info on the app when I'm away.
You can remove the unit but everything plugged into the APEX jr will lose connection until you re-connect, kind of a pain, the long ethernet cable was cheap on amazon.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another mistake I made was now just wishing I had the full classic and not the jr ......dont get me wrong it works great I just have more $$$ in it with the extras I have ended up buying and IM not able to ad anymore modules
Yes! I know it's more expensive with the add-ons. But even the classic is not in my budget right now and I want to get started with a controller now. My fowlr tank is pretty simple: skimmer, return pump, ato, ph monitor, and stand light. So I'll plug the skimmer, return pump, and ato into the apex now and use my other powerbar for the ph monitor (which isn't apex so I'm pretty sure I'd have to buy theirs to get apex to monitor ph). Later on I'll add tank lights to the fourth outlet. Since I can have 5 modules on the jr it could work for a while. I'll buy an 8 outlet Apex powerbar at some point. Aren't the probes/modules separate? Do they daisy chain? Eventually I'll buy a full apex but this one won't be a waste because I'll have a nano up and running and can use all this equipment on it. It seems like a good plan to me. Does it make sense?

Rob77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they daisy chain and I thinks its like seven modules now if you dont use the display which is what I do .................Im with ya tho on the whole budget deal ...I was the same way at the time I bought mine

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm reading the manual ahead of time (the big reference one), and it's beyond confusing. Is connecting to the internet really this complicated??

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm reading the manual ahead of time (the big reference one), and it's beyond confusing. Is connecting to the internet really this complicated??

If I remember right there was a few different confusing scenarios in the manual. I just plugged mine into my router and after a couple attempts to connect it worked. Then I proceeded to ignore that section lol

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a bunch of videos on line, about the apex controllers. Check out brs tv for example. Ryan really walks you thru the basics and more. Not to mention Apex has a lot of videos as well. When I got my Apex I had a few questions and problems. That were user caused, not Apex that were setup related. I got it sorted out and I love my Apex. I will not setup another tank with out a Apex.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way you are right. Read the manual. It may seem a little confusing, however once you have the Apex in front of you it will come together. It's really not as hard as it may seem. If I can set my unit up you can too.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back