Apex Jr on the way! Have a few questions

Doubbler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another mistake I made was now just wishing I had the full classic and not the jr ......dont get me wrong it works great I just have more $$$ in it with the extras I have ended up buying and IM not able to ad anymore modules
I made that same mistake

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really cute! My router is in the next room through a wall. Does this one have enough range/strength in your opinion?

It's worth drilling a hole or running a long cable. Wireless is begging for trouble.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hard wired my Apex to the router. So far I have never had an issue. I don't know how your house is built. However I went under my house and ran the cable under it. Then I drilled a hole in the floor next to the router and next to the tank. Believe me it's the best way to do it in my opinion. Just don't tell my wife I drilled a hole in her hardwood floor. Even if it is a very small hole.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hard wired my Apex to the router. So far I have never had an issue. I don't know how your house is built. However I went under my house and ran the cable under it. Then I drilled a hole in the floor next to the router and next to the tank. Believe me it's the best way to do it in my opinion. Just don't tell my wife I drilled a hole in her hardwood floor. Even if it is a very small hole.
Your secret is safe with me. I don't have crawl space to speak of and I'm not sure if the wall between the tank and the router is drywall/sheetrock or concrete because the house has an add-on. That being said, the tank and router are less than 12 feet away from each other. The only way I could hardwire is through the wall but I don't know if that's possible. I'll probably take my chances with the wireless expansion thing first.

Zondebok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really cute! My router is in the next room through a wall. Does this one have enough range/strength in your opinion?

Yes. Mine goes through 2 walls and a closet door, no issues at all. When I set it up it was even further away.

The small form factor is really nice for mounting next to the apex too.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I do the firmware update while I'm setting it up?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's hard wired when you do it.
Yes. I luckily was warned about that. My wireless adapter is on the way but it's hard wired to my computer until setup is complete.

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I ran the netgear gaming adapters on both my apex classics for almost 2 years. They'd lose connections every couple months, usually just an annoyance until my big reef dropped offline on the 2nd day of a 2 week vacation.

I hardwired both systems shortly after. It's been a world of difference. I also am much more likely to keep the firmware up to date since I don't have to get cables out and stretch them around the house to do so.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm reading the manual ahead of time (the big reference one), and it's beyond confusing. Is connecting to the internet really this complicated??
Everyone makes it out to be more complicated then it really is. First, I'd hard wire it to the internet router. I have two, soon to be 3, all wired despite being wireless. One has a 50' cable all the way from the basement. Once you get to that point post questions. Fusion is pretty simple and can be figured out by just messing with it. As I said, some try to make it as complicated as possible, but it doesn't have to be.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I ran the netgear gaming adapters on both my apex classics for almost 2 years. They'd lose connections every couple months, usually just an annoyance until my big reef dropped offline on the 2nd day of a 2 week vacation.

I hardwired both systems shortly after. It's been a world of difference. I also am much more likely to keep the firmware up to date since I don't have to get cables out and stretch them around the house to do so.
I agree that hard-wired is the best way to go. But I have a pesky wall and a contractor I am not. I think it's good to know your limitations. :eek:

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone makes it out to be more complicated then it really is. First, I'd hard wire it to the internet router. I have two, soon to be 3, all wired despite being wireless. One has a 50' cable all the way from the basement. Once you get to that point post questions. Fusion is pretty simple and can be figured out by just messing with it. As I said, some try to make it as complicated as possible, but it doesn't have to be.
I connected yesterday to the internet with an Ethernet cable. Apex Fusion is set up. My next step is to update the firmware then I'll start programming outlets. You're right. The internet setup was easy. I'm a little confused about programming the outlets but I'll eventually figure it out. Right now, all I have to set up is a return pump, skimmer, ATO, and a ph monitor (not Apex, separate unit). Then I have to do feeding cycles. Since my equipment all stays on except for feeding cycles, it should be pretty easy. (I hope)

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I'm trying to do a firmware update and it's telling me I have to install all these other Microsoft programs, turn off wifi (really? Even though I'm Ethernet hard wired and don't have wireless set up for the apex yet?) and turn off my firewall and antivirus. Call me crazy, but the last two don't sound like the greatest ideas. Help!!

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I'm trying to do a firmware update and it's telling me I have to install all these other Microsoft programs, turn off wifi (really? Even though I'm Ethernet hard wired and don't have wireless set up for the apex yet?) and turn off my firewall and antivirus. Call me crazy, but the last two don't sound like the greatest ideas. Help!!

Just like it says. It's temporary.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like it says. It's temporary.

The firmware is updated! Now I'm programming the outlets. I have all but one done. The ATO one I had to do advanced for the feed modes so I did a little programming. Woohoo! Now I need to setup the wireless. Should I do that while it's hardwired or should I go ahead and install the system in the stand first?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 70 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.8%
Back