Apex (or EL) with neptune or Mastertronic?

Nathan80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

I'm looking into upgrading all of my monitoring kit and I'm on the fence between Mastertronic and Apex (other options have already been looked at and discounted so its down to these 2)

Does anyone have experience with both? I do currently have Apex with Trident on one tank and am quite impressed with it, my hesitation of putting one on all 4 tanks is the cost of reagents for the trident. Mastertronic over time will work out cheaper (altho I know I would need the alkatronic too so there is an upfront cost).

Also - going the Neptune route. Apex or ApexEL? My instinct was EL as the reality is ORP whilst a valid reading is not something I monitor actively and the reality is salinity should remain constant unless I change something!

TIA

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer your Mastertronic question since I haven’t used one. But for your Apex/Apex-EL question, be sure to consider whether you need the 0-10v variable outputs to control any variable speed pumps/powerheads, or any compatible LED lights. The EL is missing the 0-10v ports along with the ORP and salinity probe ports.

Apex:Apex-EL:

Bottom-View-w-callouts.jpg

APEX_el_IMG_2170_callouts_sm-1-600x431.jpg

See my Apex Hardware Overview article for details on all the available Apex gear:

OP
OP
N

Nathan80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - thanks for that. TBH its looking like the EL is a non-option anyway, from what I've been told there's none expected in the UK for the foreseeable future so I'm probably stuck with the standard version for now!

Joepie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - thanks for that. TBH its looking like the EL is a non-option anyway, from what I've been told there's none expected in the UK for the foreseeable future so I'm probably stuck with the standard version for now!
I have both the Neptune Trident and the Mastertronic. First: The Mastertronic does !measure Alkalinity! So it is not necessary to own the Alkatronic too. Difference is that the Alkatronic measures alk more often, four times a day, and the Mastertronic up to one a day. For me sufficient. Problem is that both controllers are very good . The trident is very client friendly. Supply is rather exspensive. The Mastertronic is a little more complicated, fe filling the test tubes etc. Helpdesk Mastertronic perfect. The possibilities are also greater than de Trident, fe they let you test now Nitrite and Jodium.
Short: both are a good buy. Cave: sometimes is there a sold out of the fluids during weeks!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back