Apex - Port Forwarding Issue

Giancarlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i bought the apex a few months back, i have never been able to set up the port forwarding to access the apex on my iphone or outside of my local network. So i had the day off work today and decided to call apex to have them take over my computer remotely and set up the ports. The way my network work's - i have a belkin modem that then connects to a linksys router. When the support from apex tried to set up the ports, he went through the linksys no problem, but then had come across issues with the belkin ports. Seemed like he didn't know what to do with - DMZ - Public IP. Any have an idea of what to do here?

Thanks,
Giancarlo

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Kurt didn't know what to do, I'm not sure anyone here can help. Have you tried asking the guy who wrote the unofficial user's guide?

CJ

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who could help would really need to know what model of modem and router you are using.

Generally, DMZ-Public IP is where the user can designate a local IP address that is not protected by a firewall. Kind of hard to know what problem your customer service rep experienced, but it usually isn't difficult to setup. again, it comes down to knowing the model if you need help.

Last edited:

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your ISP blocking those ports? What ports are they? Linksys aren't the best routers IMO, but as stated above some ISPs run firewalls which block specific often well known ports for various reasons. I won't get into that side of things, but I'm assuming your router is configured as a NAT router with a single public IP address. All you should need to do is set a static ip on the tank controller and then set up PAT (port forwarding) on the router to point to the inside ip (private ip address) of the controller using the port number(s) its listening on. If it turns out your ISP is in fact blocking the port(s) you can always try using different nonstandard port numbers. Works even easier if the port number(s) the controller listens on can be changed instead of trying to translate a different outside port number to an inside port number at the NAT router. Also sometimes clearing the NAT tables can resolve this issues. I'm not sure if there is an option to do this on a Linksys router but power cycling it will do the same thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Giancarlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so the model of my modem is a Belkin Wireless G Router - 2.4ghz 802.11g Model: F5D7230-4 ver-7000. The router is a linksys wireless g router 2.4ghz Model - WRT54GL.

Attached i have 2 pics, the linksys is what paul from APEX set up, then when he went to the belkin address to link them together or whatever, he got stuck with what says the public id. I put in the line 2 figures, just trying some randomness hoping something would work. Anyways if there is any other info needed let me know.

Thank you for your time!
Giancarlo
Belkin router.jpg
linksys.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Giancarlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also stumbled upon this page, should i maybe be entering things in here(virtual server) instead of DMZ?

belkin.jpg

fastrd400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go to RC, in the Neptune Systems threads, look for a guy named RussM. Send him a pm asking for help, that guy is a wizard with the Apex and getting them operating correctly.

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide some larger screenshots where I can get a better idea of the routing?

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sys. Engineer here. Disable the DMZ and Firewall on the Balkin. Handle the Firewall on the linksys. Forward port 80 to the ip of the Apex and you should be all set. I cannot see the pic but that is how it should work.

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sys. Engineer here. Disable the DMZ and Firewall on the Balkin. Handle the Firewall on the linksys. Forward port 80 to the ip of the Apex and you should be all set. I cannot see the pic but that is how it should work.

I'm not 100% sure but it looks like things are being NATed twice.

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the Belkin is taking the outside and nating to the DMZ on the Belkin. The router is not configured to be in the DMZ so conneciton is broken. On my modem which is comcast there is not port blockage or FW it is simply an open modem and my linksys handles my FW and port forwarding. There is no need for the FW and DMZ at the modem level.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh. ISP I have now blocked port 80 for 3yrs and told me they couldn't open the port because they have it blocked to force people to pay for web hosting and that I'd need to pay for a static IP for them to place me outside their firewall. Yet I could run my web server via SSL without issue and no problems with runing postfix or anything else I wanted. Their "helldesk" could be described with a few colorful words too. They kept telling me "We dont support NAT/PAT" I wasn't asking them for support. I clearly asked them if they were running a firewall and if port 80 was blocked. After 2 weeks of getting the run around I finally got a call from an engineer that said a little more than he should have which is how I got confirmation it was blocked. I already had proof they were blocking the port.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 52 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back