APEX Prompting An AOS Upgrade But I'm Away From Home

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have the APEX 2016 and have the ability to update the system via WiFi so no problems there. My question is, has anyone had problems after an update that needed to be handled in person with the system? I'm away from home right now and would hate for something to go wrong with the update and have dump the responsibility of fixing it on my wife. Should I wait until I get home? Thanks in advance!

cuba steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait til your home and also make sure it's m-f preferably morning so you can get ahold of support if something is wrong.
I just upgraded and somehow the network settings got messed up. Kept getting heartbeat and power fail notifications. I was home and knew that nothing was wrong.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait til your home and also make sure it's m-f preferably morning so you can get ahold of support if something is wrong.
I just upgraded and somehow the network settings got messed up. Kept getting heartbeat and power fail notifications. I was home and knew that nothing was wrong.
Ah, just the kind of stuff that would give me an ulcer if it were to happen right now. Ha ha, thanks!

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it while away from home. You can do it any where with an internet connection. You can even ask the Neptune tech support to do it for you :); However, you might want to hold off on the latest version...Someone was complaining his apex wifi loses its IP address with the new FW....! 5.01_2E_17 seems to be ok. ATM

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also wait until you get home....this last update took down my whole Apex (kept failing during the update). Took me 45 minutes of messing with it to get it running again. Can it be done....sure....but it is worth it to just wait :)

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also wait until you get home....this last update took down my whole Apex (kept failing during the update). Took me 45 minutes of messing with it to get it running again. Can it be done....sure....but it is worth it to just wait :)
So I'm home now, and have tried three times to do the update. I'm guessing it's not working because fusion is still prompting the update...

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fusion has to work first before you can update FW. But the FW is not working correctly until it is updated. This is like a chicken and egg issue right?

I don't see a way to update fw locally without using Fusion. I guess I miss something or just the tech support people have the tool and FW to load the FW locally...

So I'm home now, and have tried three times to do the update. I'm guessing it's not working because fusion is still prompting the update...

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the firmware update tool? That works independently of Fusion....it updates both the Apex module and the Fusion webpage. Mine kept failing on the webpage update, which wouldn't allow me to control the Apex without connecting using the classic interface.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not aware of the tool to update FW for the apex wifi. I thought it could only be updated using Fusion!

Are you using the firmware update tool? That works independently of Fusion....it updates both the Apex module and the Fusion webpage. Mine kept failing on the webpage update, which wouldn't allow me to control the Apex without connecting using the classic interface.

swensos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the same issue. Are you using the Fusion app? If so, completely close the application and then reopen it. It should no longer prompt the update.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the same issue. Are you using the Fusion app? If so, completely close the application and then reopen it. It should no longer prompt the update.

I am using the Fusion website. Here's what I see when I log in. I click the bell in the first picture which takes me to the second. Then I click the yellow box which takes me to step three. Then I click the orange "update" box which leads to a load screen. Once the update is complete it takes me back to the dashboard where the bell still has the little notification...

Screenshot_20170531-130945.png

Screenshot_20170531-130951.png

Screenshot_20170531-130959.png

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fusion has to work first before you can update FW. But the FW is not working correctly until it is updated. This is like a chicken and egg issue right?

I don't see a way to update fw locally without using Fusion. I guess I miss something or just the tech support people have the tool and FW to load the FW locally...
I'm still pretty new to this, what's FW?

SPIREEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the manual it says it's highly recommended to do the update connected to a computer and not Wi-Fi, is this actually the way cause my computer doesn't have an Ethernet port to connect to the apex.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried logging out and logging back in? Otherwise, you might have to reset the unit.
... that actually worked. Lol wow man, thanks!

On the manual it says it's highly recommended to do the update connected to a computer and not Wi-Fi, is this actually the way cause my computer doesn't have an Ethernet port to connect to the apex.
I just got it to work from my phone so maybe suggested, but not required.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex classic, they highly recommend using hard wire for updating fw. The Apex wifi, it Should not matter. However, I have no idea how they implement that so I don't want to make any comment... It should download the new fw to the SD card first before trying to update the FW...if this is what they do...wire or wireless should be ok

Quik question: If your Apex itself is hardwired to the internet, is the update supposed to work better? Or is it the computer you initiate the upgrade on need to be connected to the interweb?

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Last time I had my son in law do it. It just didn't make sense to me that he hooked the laptop to the internet cable when the Apex itself is hardwired permanently. I have the classic, but I thought it had Wi-Fi capability also. We hardwired it anyway because the electrician than ran extra outlets for tank was also running internet cables to bedrooms for our hardcore gamers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back