Apex... Really, This is what I get for my money?

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall, I generally like my apex. Yes the probes are a bit finicky. Yes the programming language is simplistic (by design). My biggest complaint is the support. You can tell that neptune is tired of dealing with the public...they stopped trying and just send out long pretyped responses to issues indicating that it is a user problem and if you cant fix it to your satisfaction, live with it.
I could only imagine what it is like trying to explain programming language and programmable logic to the general public, day in and day out. And, they are still better than the industrial automation companies that charge you $1,000 a year for programming software license and tech support.
The fact they even try is a miracle in itself.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im at wits end with this red sea skimmer. Im most likely going to het a Tunze. I have a tunze in tank skimmer but my water level in my sump isn’t high enough.
Frankly the best skimmer I owned was a tunze. Only down side is that it's hell to dial in on the water height/ DC speed for skimming.

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im at wits end with this red sea skimmer. Im most likely going to het a Tunze. I have a tunze in tank skimmer but my water level in my sump isn’t high enough.
It took my Red Sea skimmer a bit to break in. I am still opening the water volume a bit more once a week. But I heard from a little bird they are coming out with a new version... Probably a Sicce DC model that you can control in app.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took my Red Sea skimmer a bit to break in. I am still opening the water volume a bit more once a week. But I heard from a little bird they are coming out with a new version... Probably a Sicce DC model that you can control in app.
IDK why DC models gotta be so expensive and very few available.

How high is the water level for your skimmer?

The part i dont get it will run just bubbles for a day or so then over fill like crazy for a day then back to kinda running normal. Mines only in about 4" of water. The deeper i put it the worse it gets.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly the best skimmer I owned was a tunze. Only down side is that it's hell to dial in on the water height/ DC speed for skimming.
I'm about 90% sure I'm gonna smash this red sea with a hammer and get a Tunze or some dc model. All I did was a tank transfer and its been doing this. My nitrates are 20 and phos are .15. I need this thing to work. My Tunze 9012 was dialed in in a 3-4 days.

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK why DC models gotta be so expensive and very few available.

How high is the water level for your skimmer?

The part i dont get it will run just bubbles for a day or so then over fill like crazy for a day then back to kinda running normal. Mines only in about 4" of water. The deeper i put it the worse it
My water level is at the little sticker on the adjuster. When I first put it in, it was going crazy. I did the old open the valve and let it run. Did that for a week and nothing. Talked to the RedSea rep at RAP and he said let it run in a five gallon bucket. Well I pretty much did that. I like you pretty much gave up. I just turned it off for a couple weeks. I decided to give it another chance and then it started working. My theory (I also did a tank transfer) is I just didn’t have enough proteins etc in my tank yet. Now like I said I am turning up the water level inside the skimmer every few days. I am getting a pretty dry skim now. Wouldn’t like a bit more wet.
hope this helps.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are similar threads about all the controller systems, but that doesn’t make it ”OK”. It does somewhat reflect the complexity of what we demand as hobbyists for the money is pretty high, it’s obviously not easy to do.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is entertaining. I have an Apex it's alright but I don't trust it to control anything. Therefore I have a lot of redundancy. I think I have come to accept its flaws. I find it amazing so many people love Tunze, I seem to have nothing but trouble with mine. Apex is not alone, I can't tell you how many products I have thrown away that comes from so-called quality companies. For example, I just threw away a GEO Kalk reactor, and I'm about to throw away the IceCap Kalk reactor. I came really close to through away the AE calcium reactor.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m the oddball out but I found Hydros way harder to use than Apex. The Tasks function on Apex makes everything so easy to use. The Hydros GUI needs updating IMO and the graphs are borderline useless.

I share the same sentiment as the OP, CoralVue’s days are numbered. If BRS doesn’t get distribution for Reef Octopus I’ll be getting a new skimmer soon

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No direct Apex experience here but I love my GHL Profilux. Been using one for near 10 years now.
It's not the easiest to program, but it's been nothing but stable all these years. I started with the P3 and now have the P4. It's the only product I fully trust with thousands of dollars of livestock.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a software developer myself, having the additional functionality to write my own 'code' is outstanding.
On that note, they have made writing 'code' about as basic as humanly possible for people who are not familiar with such things. That being said, I can definitely agree that with no prior experience it would be much more difficult to understand the full extent of what you can even do, let alone how to do it.

They would benefit from better documentation and example usage. Even a YouTube series or something would be cool

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why I have an Apex. Everything I use it for can be done with something else. My main controller is actually mobius (Radions, Vectra and Vortech)

Here is what I use Apex for.

• heater (used as a backup to the Finnex heater controller)
  • Operate background cabinet light (can use a $5 timer)
  • dose Kalkwasser, Ca, KH, Mg with the DOS (can buy Versa and use mobius)
  • monitor pH in display and Kalkstirrer
  • monitor temp
  • monitor power going to Vectra
Here is what I plan to use it for in the future for my new Red Sea tank

• dose Kalk, Ca, Kh, H2O2
  • Monitor flow rate into UV
  • monitor ph in tank and Kalk Stirrer
  • backup heater controller to Finnex
  • monitor Kh, CA, Mg using Trident (already purchased)
  • Turn on/off the roller mat (will only be used at night)
  • Operate the plank
  • leak detector
  • to show off folks how geeky i am

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water level is at the little sticker on the adjuster. When I first put it in, it was going crazy. I did the old open the valve and let it run. Did that for a week and nothing. Talked to the RedSea rep at RAP and he said let it run in a five gallon bucket. Well I pretty much did that. I like you pretty much gave up. I just turned it off for a couple weeks. I decided to give it another chance and then it started working. My theory (I also did a tank transfer) is I just didn’t have enough proteins etc in my tank yet. Now like I said I am turning up the water level inside the skimmer every few days. I am getting a pretty dry skim now. Wouldn’t like a bit more wet.
hope this helps.
To top off the cake the valve at the drain leaks. It leaked all over my floor. I emailed red sea. This is pathetic and apparently Maxspect makes these skimmers.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is entertaining. I have an Apex it's alright but I don't trust it to control anything. Therefore I have a lot of redundancy. I think I have come to accept its flaws. I find it amazing so many people love Tunze, I seem to have nothing but trouble with mine. Apex is not alone, I can't tell you how many products I have thrown away that comes from so-called quality companies. For example, I just threw away a GEO Kalk reactor, and I'm about to throw away the IceCap Kalk reactor. I came really close to through away the AE calcium reactor.
I have an Avast Marine Kalk stirrer. 99% of positive things to say about it. The 1% is mere annoyance factor..that I can live with.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m the oddball out but I found Hydros way harder to use than Apex. The Tasks function on Apex makes everything so easy to use. The Hydros GUI needs updating IMO and the graphs are borderline useless.

Your not the odd person. Ignoring comparing controllers they made some odd choices in their app especially with the Wave Engine. And then mix in trying to get a standing wave or short pulses in the Wave Engine - it just won't happen.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say it worked as a great dinnerbell for the fish. The cheap wifi feeder I use is loud (not as loud as the afs) and they come running for pellets.
I'm happy with $20 Eheim feeders that have worked reliably for years. Basically the same thing anyway. I have no idea why somebody would need a controllable feeder. It's a set it and forget it thing... at least until the food runs out!

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...It reminds me of putting in swear words on computers in Sears in the 80's and hit "LOOP" then "RUN"
OMG I so remember being a teen and doing that same **** at Sears in the early 90s. Then locking down the systems so the sales people could not fix it... Oh man I have not thought of doing that in decades, wow lol.
Oh I plan to switch form my Red Sea Skimmer and IceCap K2 for Tunex models. So like them. Just hate that the Tunez does not have drain ports.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I haven't found a system yet, that works as well as an android phone (yes, that was intentional.... Androids are as easy as iphone, just different. :))

That said, I have the Apex Classic, that's going on 8 years old. I replaced the lab grade PH probe once in the last 8 years. Only because the original was dry for a year. It probably needs replacing. I don't really want to spend $100 on a probe and the readings are consistent. If it's off it's off, it's at least consistently telling me information. Salinity probes are crap on all systems from what I've read. Hobby grade, is not lab grade... It's does it work with some accuracy over time? Maybe?

I have the Hydros Wave Engine for my 4 gyres and initially it was easy to setup all the programs and control. After several updates, firmware updates, etc. I am no longer able to change my original programming of the gyres. I just wanted to decrease the speed at which they run during the day (right after cleaning them it was too high... lol). I am no longer able to configure them and need to reach out to support. Which I'm too lazy to do.

I can still use the feed mode, which is great, but if I ever need to reprogram them, I may have to factory reset everything and hope I can reprogram them then or I just turned the wave engine into a calm lake engine.

I'm not for or against Apex. It has worked for me but pretty much all I have it doing is turning outlets on and off. And I realized the other day I have it controlling one dosing pump, and for the most part, everything is just set to on.... The only thing it has helped me with is notifying me of power outages or disconnects from the network. Which has been incredibly useful. At the same time my $40 Wyze cams can pretty much do that for me too. So, could one get by with a few timers and power strips for $100. Probably. Can you see PH and temp anytime of day from anywhere with those? No.

I do wish alk, calcium, and mg monitoring were a lot easier and didn't require reagents. Monitoring those hourly and daily would be a huge bonus with a couple probes would then make whomever comes out with that way ahead of the game. That said, the technology isn't there yet.. While we're dreaming, I'd love an aquarium monitoring system that measured uptake - consumption of alk, calcium, and mg, hourly, to see trends in coral growth and help determine what environments are ideal for our critters. Monitoring of Nitrates and phosphates hourly would be great too.

An Aquarium analytics engine would be amazing. We have buoys in the ocean that monitor things like this, but, nothing for the hobby. I'd love to get a message on my phone that says, hey, you're aquarium water is running low on potassium, recommended dosage of your current potassium solution is 10 ml, would you like me to dose 10 ml of potassium solution?

"Why, yes, I would, please do.... "
Then, auto wait for an hour, and report back "Potassium levels have returned to normal, no further intervention needed."

Oh, yeah, that reminds me, trace element monitoring would be great as well (just for the most common ones). With out data, I feel the aquarium automation systems are severely lacking. But, it truly comes down to requirements. I need information that no aquarium system provides. So, would I by an Apex or Hydros system again? I'm honestly not sure. I may just monitor with wyze cams when I'm gone and call it good.

I'm a visionary though. I feel we should be able to do a lot more with the technology we have, but I may be thinking ahead of my lifetime as well... Some of what I'm suggesting may not be profitable...
Almost exactly my experience. Having an aquarium controller attracts control freaks, and that simply isn't going to work. Best to acknowledge the limitations of expensive, not necessarily overpriced (how much is it worth to you if it saves your tank because you received a notification), hobby-grade gear. Apex is good/adequate for certain tasks e.g; turning on outlets, giving notifications, and providing temp data. Not so good at others; "salinity probes," and a host of other accessories/add-ons that the company is making most of its profit on. Having tried out some of the other products in this space, as well as their other products (gyre pumps), I can attest to the fact that the UI is unreliable and you may not even be able to log into the app half the time (same experience as you, same product line). While they purport to provide alternatives with benefits, you only get the benefits if the product actually works and is controllable; something I haven't seen as of yet. I have a lot of Apex gear and try to stick to the stuff I consider above average and have few problems, although something does occasionally pop up. I stay away from flow monitoring, salinity monitoring, cheapo lighting, and feeders personally since I think that they either don't matter to me, or I've found a better solution. To each his own.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple comments here insinuating that no other controller can do “advanced” stuff that only Apex can. That is completely false. If you believe that Hydros can’t do advanced programming I encourage you to check out the Hydros Facebook page and see what some are doing with it.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I share the same sentiment as the OP, CoralVue’s days are numbered. If BRS doesn’t get distribution for Reef Octopus I’ll be getting a new skimmer soon

This right here is an issue. “CoralVue’s days are numbered.” What is your deal? I have no words. All you do is trash Hydros and now CoralVue. You also never added anything to your signature to show your affiliation with BRS. Which needs to be known by everyone who reads your comments as they are truly biased as shown here as you have some personal issue with the good folks at CV.

Edit: wording matters “If BRS doesn’t get distribution for Reef Octopus…” how would you know that they are trying to do that if you aren’t connected to the company.

First, Aqua Forest, then Maxspect and now Reef Octopus based on what you imply.

A lot of good people work at CoralVue. If BRS continues to pull these companies away what does that do to those jobs in the long run. But now I see what your comments are and how you feel towards CV.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back