Apex temp probe jumpy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex temp probe is jumping around in about a 1.5 degree range, like within 20 seconds it will go from 78 to 78.4 then 77.9 then 78.2. Is the probe shot? It is old. Could it be stray voltage?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine did that on my apex jr. I added a grounding probe and it fixed it...

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did that on my apex jr. I added a grounding probe and it fixed it...
How do I add a grounding probe? This is also an apexes I am running. I changed the probe, and now it seems to be better but still jumoing around in a .5 degree range

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Which apex is it that your using?

Buy this, drop it in the sump and plug it into the wall...

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which apex is it that your using?

Buy this, drop it in the sump and plug it into the wall...

It’s an apex jr. I think you’re on the right track since my brand new probe is also jumping around. Thanks, I will give that a shot. Would it need to go to the wall outlet, or can I just connect it to a power strip? Also is this indicative of stray voltage in the tank, and does it matter that the probe is in the DT rather than the sump as far as grounding probe placement?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s an apex jr. I think you’re on the right track since my brand new probe is also jumping around. Thanks, I will give that a shot. Would it need to go to the wall outlet, or can I just connect it to a power strip? Also is this indicative of stray voltage in the tank, and does it matter that the probe is in the DT rather than the sump as far as grounding probe placement?
Ya man it will fix it for sure. Its a known issue with the Jr. The shielding is not the greatest in the Jr and its subject to interference. Mine was going nuts until i dropped the grounding probe in. Fixed it right away. The other option is to get a PM1 module and plug the temp probe into that, the PM1 has proper shielding in it to deal with any interference. I just figured id try the ground probe first and it solved it. Not to mention the grounding probe is helpful for the entire tank. I was told you can plug it into a power strip by @Brew12 on here who is an electrical guru. I have mine plugged into a wall though because i had an open plug behind the tank...

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may have some small amount of stray voltage as most do. Its enough to cause interference in the probe and the Jr cant handle it. I run mine in the sump because thats where all my pumps and equipment are. I only have vortechs in my display..

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, I wouldn’t mind picking up a pm1 in the future, but I’m an apex noob for now so one thing at a time. I bought that grounding plug for now hopefully that solves the issue!

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok cool, I wouldn’t mind picking up a pm1 in the future, but I’m an apex noob for now so one thing at a time. I bought that grounding plug for now hopefully that solves the issue!
Let me know. If u open up apex local on your computer rather than apex fusion app and you go to the temp probe calibration window. You can see the live reading down in the left corner of the window and you will see before how much it moves vs when you plug the ground in...

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update this thread with the result, I hate when I look something up and then the answer is never posted by the OP. So I tried the grounding probe, it didnt work. I tried unplugging things one at a time to see if it was voltage in the water and that did not work either. I finally figured out that the electrical interference was not inside the tank, but that my temp probe wire was snaked around a bunch of other wiring with current running through it and that was apparently enough to give me a jumpy reading. I re routed the probe wire away from all my other wires and BINGO, it now fluctuates only sligtly within a third of a degree, which is good enough for me!

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wanted to update this thread with the result, I hate when I look something up and then the answer is never posted by the OP. So I tried the grounding probe, it didnt work. I tried unplugging things one at a time to see if it was voltage in the water and that did not work either. I finally figured out that the electrical interference was not inside the tank, but that my temp probe wire was snaked around a bunch of other wiring with current running through it and that was apparently enough to give me a jumpy reading. I re routed the probe wire away from all my other wires and BINGO, it now fluctuates only sligtly within a third of a degree, which is good enough for me!

Good deal! I forgot to mention to check that first :x i have mine routed away from other cables... i would still use the ground probe if i were you though!

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal! I forgot to mention to check that first :x i have mine routed away from other cables... i would still use the ground probe if i were you though!
I read a lot of conflicting stuff on ground probes, and decided against running it on my system since my reef is not hooked up to a GFCI outlet. Apparently if you use a ground probe you need to have a gfci or its dangerous.

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news!
I believe what you were seeing was “electromotive force” or EMF, or induction.
We see this in my trade all the time in regard to communication wiring or anything with 0-10 volt dc.
We will run “shielded wire and keep it away from any type of power wiring for this reason.

Good find !

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read a lot of conflicting stuff on ground probes, and decided against running it on my system since my reef is not hooked up to a GFCI outlet. Apparently if you use a ground probe you need to have a gfci or its dangerous.
Oh ya sorry, i assumed you were plugged into gfci...

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ya sorry, i assumed you were plugged into gfci...
I’d thought about adding one, but I’m just not sure I want to add in a potential failure point in the form of a gfci, I’d be paranoid it would trip when I’m away on vacation or something. Although I guess losing your reef tank is better than getting electrocuted to death, and at least now that I have the apex I’d at least know if it tripped. Maybe I’ll call up an electrician.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back