Apex won’t connect to fusion after power outage

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My classic does this too. It is either booting faster than the router or the wireless bridge. It cant get a ip address till the bridge does. Only way I can get it up is power cycle it which is bull crap. They should continue to look till it gets a ip.

When you need it to tell what is back online you can not.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the problem seams to be Narrowed Dow to when the power goes out the router boots up faster than the apex so how could I program an outlet so that when power fails it defers 2 mins then power on? Then I can just plug my router into that
No it is the opposite the Apex boots faster than the router and the Apex only tries to connect once this is in their hard programing might be able to reset it once or twice a day

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just really frustrating. We spend $$$ on a piece of equipment that can’t connect if the power goes out. Does this still occur if hardwired?
But I learned something this morning. Last night my internet was down but the power was still on so if you battery back the Apex and the router it will come back up. My big Apex is on a battery back up but my router is not guess I got to order one.

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does work but I am not sure how long my big system will run with the power out since it has 2 Cor 15's running I will have to try next week and see

You can get a power plug for the Apex Head unit itself. Instead of the head unit pulling power through the usb it will then be pulling power through the plug and when the power cycles on the EB832 or EB8s the head unit will sense it and trigger a alert (if the router is online, i.e. on a backup power source as well) you will get the alert that power went out at your house. There is also the Heartbeat function that is on Fusion but the other way is a more immediate notification

Rockdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that apex asks for you to shell out 800$ and has NO FRIEKING customer support. You need to provide umpteen numbers and the like which you have no access to because it don't work.

Nice to be rich! Ignore the little guy

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that apex asks for you to shell out 800$ and has NO FRIEKING customer support. You need to provide umpteen numbers and the like which you have no access to because it don't work.

Nice to be rich! Ignore the little guy
Well for me Their customer service has been top notch and yes it is a little expensive, but it is only a small fraction of what's living in the tanks, so to me well worth the money, They have saved me Thousands of dollars

OP
OP
Bill_Moorman

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had issues with customer service. In fact, I’ve gotten emails on the weekend and the rep, Morgan, said they understand what it’s like when reef things go bad and want to help.

I do wish there was a solution to the power outage situation but I am overall happy.

Except their conductivity probe. That thing sucks.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doesn't matter the apex should be able to get back on the network no matter what. It shouldn't try once and if it cant get on the network stop, not in this day and age.
Sometimes a network drops or the wireless, it happens. It should test the connection to see if it is back up and reconnect.
I tried logging into mine the other day from work and no go so the power or network dropped but I was not there to know. So the question is how long was it down?

Fusion does not ping the the apex unit that I know of so if it goes down fusion does not let you know does it? Does it have this capability?

does this happen with the new Apex and the classic?

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn on the Heartbeat function on Fusion. Still no way to fix it other than in person but it should notify you when your Apex loses connection with Fusion.

And yes the same thing happens with the Classic and the 2016 Apex.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't matter the apex should be able to get back on the network no matter what. It shouldn't try once and if it cant get on the network stop, not in this day and age.
Sometimes a network drops or the wireless, it happens. It should test the connection to see if it is back up and reconnect.
I tried logging into mine the other day from work and no go so the power or network dropped but I was not there to know. So the question is how long was it down?

Fusion does not ping the the apex unit that I know of so if it goes down fusion does not let you know does it? Does it have this capability?

does this happen with the new Apex and the classic?
Good quetion I don't know. Yes it does happen with the new Apex I have 2 and mine are hard wired, It tries the network one time and that's it.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Turn on the Heartbeat function on Fusion. Still no way to fix it other than in person but it should notify you when your Apex loses connection with Fusion.

And yes the same thing happens with the Classic and the 2016 Apex.

Ok cool so it can alert you if it cant find it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What battery backup are you guys using and are you just using it for the energy bar or are you plugging your router and energy bar into the back up?

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some testing this morning, and there is a simple fix. Log into your router and find the apex connection under dhcp settings. Assign your apex MAC address to a static up address which is the current up address assigned. Log into your apex via the legacy control panel or use the display and disable DHCP in the Net Setup. I tested this today with no power pack on a ups keeping the apex head alive. No issues with it coming back to life and it connected to fusion as soon as the router booted up successfully.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home. Did a reset with a paper clip and it hooked right up.
I find that the problem after a power outage is that sometimes the Apex boots up faster than my router then won't connect. A quick tap with a paper clip and all is good again.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some testing this morning, and there is a simple fix. Log into your router and find the apex connection under dhcp settings. Assign your apex MAC address to a static up address which is the current up address assigned. Log into your apex via the legacy control panel or use the display and disable DHCP in the Net Setup. I tested this today with no power pack on a ups keeping the apex head alive. No issues with it coming back to life and it connected to fusion as soon as the router booted up successfully.

Any chance you could explain that for simple people ?

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you could explain that for simple people ?

Ok, will try and I'll try not to be too lengthy...this worked for me with a wired connection to my router - can't comment on wireless at this time as I've not tried it. First you'll need to know the router type you have and know how to log into it. If you've never done this before, a google search should help using router brand, model and search for default login. Also, you will need to know the IP address assigned to the apex and the mac address, both of which can usually be found in the router DHCP table. For basic knowledge, the router by default uses DHCP to assign IP addresses to each piece of equipment that connects to it such as home computers, tablets, ipads, smartphones, home cameras and also Apex controllers in this case. When the unit boots up and is connected physically or wirelessly, it sends a dhcp request to the router and the router assigns an address. Think of it as a card game, and all the players look to the dealer to be dealt in. Your apex says "I want to play" and the dealer sends him a hand of cards or an IP address. In this case I believe with the Apex controllers not connecting, they are telling the dealer they want to play before the dealer is finished shuffling and seeing who wants to play. Then when he's ready he doesn't know your apex wanted to play because he didn't hear the request and hence is never assigned an IP address. Assigning a static address for the apex eliminates this confusion. The dealer knows he wants to play and always deals him into the game in the same seat he's used to seeing him at.

So, here are the steps:

1. Log in to your router and find the DHCP settings. This is usually under a LAN tab. Here you will find your Apex IP address, mac address and be able to assign a static IP address (one that always stays the same and belongs to your Apex) to that mac address. If you don't know your apex IP address, it can be found on your local apex display if you have one connected. To make things easy, use the IP address already assigned to your Apex controller.
2. Log int to your Apex and disable DHCP which will hold that ip address in your Apex when it is reset, be it power loss or user reset. You can also perform this task using the local display under net setup.

**It is a good idea to backup your Apex settings before making any changes. That way if you mess anything up, you can do a system init and reload the backup file, restoring all your previous settings.**

Good luck!

-g

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back