Apex won’t connect to fusion after power outage

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To gcrawford’s point, I set up a static IP address for my Apex, and I have had no issues with Apex connecting to my network after a power outage. Prior to this, Apex would NEVER connect to my network after a power outage. Since this fix (using several simulated and actually power outages), it never fails to connect to the network after a power outage. When it comes to this stuff, I’m totally incompetent and I still don’t even know what a static IP address is lol. But, between Neptune’s forum and a couple YouTube videos on how to set up a device with a static IP address, I easily figured it out. However, at this point, I forget how I did it. I’ll try to locate a link or two to post.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big advantage for me going the ups route is that my internet is very patchy cause I’m on a satellite internet service so I’m order to get a notice if I loose power heartbeat alert really is a pain because I get false alarms all day from it loosing connection because it just alerts me if the connection between fusion and my unit looses connection. By using the ups my internet may go down for a few mins a day but as that’s not a big deal. Now if the power goes out my brain unit has a 12v power supply plugged into the ups along with my router and satellite receiver so even during an outage I still get alerts and can connect to my tank through fusion. Then I did some simple programming where I now get alerts if the power to my energy bars go out for some reason. I actually got one a few days ago too. My diy leds shorted out triggering my af/gfci which knocked out power to one of my energy bars. I looked to see what the alert was and sure enough one of them was out. I feel a lot more secure now having it set up this way. I bought my ups off amazon. There’s tons on there. Just buy a decent sized one

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To gcrawford’s point, I set up a static IP address for my Apex, and I have had no issues with Apex connecting to my network after a power outage. Prior to this, Apex would NEVER connect to my network after a power outage. Since this fix (using several simulated and actually power outages), it never fails to connect to the network after a power outage. When it comes to this stuff, I’m totally incompetent and I still don’t even know what a static IP address is lol. But, between Neptune’s forum and a couple YouTube videos on how to set up a device with a static IP address, I easily figured it out. However, at this point, I forget how I did it. I’ll try to locate a link or two to post.

Is your Apex connected to a wireless router or how?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your Apex connected to a wireless router or how?

My Apex is connected with an internet cable coming from a wireless router. When I previously had the Apex connected wirelessly, it did not have any issues reconnecting after a power outage. However, when connected wirelessly, it would lose connection 30-50 times per day for brief periods. This was annoying, which is why I switched to a wired connection for the Apex. Switching to a hard wired configuration solved my connectivity issues, except the issue with it not connecting after a power outage started with the wired connection. I almost pulled the trigger on UPS backup power units for the Apex and the router, but I thought I would try he static IP solution I read about, and this solution worked for me.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Apex is connected with an internet cable coming from a wireless router. When I previously had the Apex connected wirelessly, it did not have any issues reconnecting after a power outage. However, when connected wirelessly, it would lose connection 30-50 times per day for brief periods. This was annoying, which is why I switched to a wired connection for the Apex. Switching to a hard wired configuration solved my connectivity issues, except the issue with it not connecting after a power outage started with the wired connection. I almost pulled the trigger on UPS backup power units for the Apex and the router, but I thought I would try he static IP solution I read about, and this solution worked for me.

This is how I am connecting as well. I am running low on time to test out the static IP fix and get it set up so I think I am going to get a battery backup for the time being. What wattage do you think would suffice for my controller?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup, Apex rebooted faster than the router. Only way I have seen to fix this is to have the router on a Battery backup or even both the router and Apex head unit on a batter backup

How is yours set up and what size backup are you using?

Have my apex on a UPS (backup 12v PS) so it doesn't go off unless there's a lengthy power outage. When my router comes back up the connection picks right up.

How many watts is your backup and do you just have your apex head unit connected?

I ordered a ups this morning for my router. I think I’ll run power to my head unit too then if power goes out I’ll be able to tell

Update?

this is the way i fixed the problem, both are on battery backup and as long as my generator kicks on before the battery backup dies all is well.

As soon as I get home I will give it a try,

Did you set it up?

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, to answer original post, this is what I have. Even with the static IP address, I still have a 12v power supply connected to the apex 12v port and two vortechs get power from the UPS during an outage to keep things moving in the tank. I may connect my return pump as well, but have not as of yet.

https://www.networktigers.com/products/apc-smx1500rm2unc-smart-ups-x-1500va-rack-tower-120v-chassis

WOW! How long will that run things you currently have plugged in?

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had MP10s it ran about 4 hours once and the power came back on without it totally draining. I've not experienced a power outage over 30 mins since upgrading to MP40s, so not sure. If you just want to keep your controller on, this is probably overkill.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I am connecting as well. I am running low on time to test out the static IP fix and get it set up so I think I am going to get a battery backup for the time being. What wattage do you think would suffice for my controller?

When I was eyeing up options for backup power, I was looking at something like this

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Battery-...7&sr=8-8-spons&ref=mp_s_a_1_8_sspa&psc=1&th=1

This UPS advertised to keep 100 watts running for 23 minutes during a power outage. So I was thinking it would keep my router or Apex head unit powered for a few hours (or more) since they would only be pulling a few watts. They make several models of these which will buy you more time in the event of a power outage, but they incrementally cost more as the capacity increases. Running other equipment, such as MP40’s, would decrease the time of these UPS unity substantially, and I’d personally look at the Ecotech battery backup or something similar for pumps/equipment.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, I understand what you’re saying about being short on time, but I’d still really give the static IP solution a look before you put money into a UPS. It takes 2 minutes, but I just can’t remember the exact process. It basically requires you to log into your router to see what range of IP addresses it automatically assigns devices on your network. This is important because you’ll want to assign a static IP address on you Apex outside of that range to avoid conflicts. Then, you go into Fusion, go to network settings, disable DHCP, then it lets you manually alter IP address. Then you just change the last 3 digits of the IP address box so that this number falls outside of the range that your router automatically assigns.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, I understand what you’re saying about being short on time, but I’d still really give the static IP solution a look before you put money into a UPS. It takes 2 minutes, but I just can’t remember the exact process. It basically requires you to log into your router to see what range of IP addresses it automatically assigns devices on your network. This is important because you’ll want to assign a static IP address on you Apex outside of that range to avoid conflicts. Then, you go into Fusion, go to network settings, disable DHCP, then it lets you manually alter IP address. Then you just change the last 3 digits of the IP address box so that this number falls outside of the range that your router automatically assigns.

Thank you an much appreciated! I may try this first.

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like mentioned above, you need the separate power supply for the Apex head unit (a $10-$20 adapter from BRS or others) and an APC. I don't currently have a battery backup setup on mine. My gf works from home and keeps an eye on things. I usually get a text from her within 2 minutes of the power going out.

One thing I have read is that the battery backups don't usually power things as long as you might think. say it is listed to power 100 watts for 2 hours. Its not necessarily true that it will power 50 watts for 4 hours. From the experiences I have saw the more likely number is usually no run time gain or a very slight one. I am not electrical engineer nor a expert on batteries (or have I even stayed at a Holiday Inn recently).

My personal goal when I do get one is to power my router, modem and apex brain for about 30 minutes. After that I should have gotten an alert and either be on my way home to get a generator going or have someone else looking in on things. The Apex Heartbeat is a good stop gap feature. I have other pets and can walk a pet sitter through rebooting my Apex on the Display module for those intermittent power outages.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back