API .25 Ammonia

Aaron King

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I started my tank 6 days ago (Red Sea Nano Max) and used FritzZyme Turbostart 900 as I added in 2 nano occelaris clowns (this was more than given the green light by my very reputable LFS) same day. I received my API test kit today (bad on me not getting it sooner, the times we live in and demand for deliveries impacted this) and I am shoing PH 7.8, Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0 and Ammonia .25.

I have seen several things about false .25 Ammonia readings but I tested some fresh bottled water and got 0 there so I trust the results to be true.

Question: Is it advisable to add more of the Turbo 900 in and this will help with ammonia? It says you can do 5X the recommended amount which is 2 oz per 25 gallons.

I want to be safe so thinking 25% water change may help but might need 50%?

Combo of both?

No Nitrite and No Nitrate seem odd?

Thank you in advance for your response!

acan-man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with the 25% water change. Adding more turbo won't neutralize the ammonia immediately. It is beneficial bacteria which process the ammonia into non toxic forms. It does not bind the ammonia like some chemicals claim to (prime). But you can add it back after the water change to increase your beneficial bacteria load. It may be beneficially to get an ammonia alert badge for the first few weeks. It is also not supper accurate, but will give you a second level of testing for cheap. Always error on the more conservative one.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back