API Copper test kit

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How in the world am I supposed to read this?? If I had to make a wild guess I’d say copper is at 1.5? But maybe I’m all wrong. This has been the slowest ramp up ever because I never know what level it’s actually at.

I’m using Copper Power

ae91a842dd1271f5bf4e9ed7ff9ecd27.jpg

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an API test kit, I wouldn't trust any of them to be accurate.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's best read with the tube about 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the card. I would say you are correct though, it looks to be about 1.5 ppm to me as well. I would suggest getting the Hanna high range copper checker as it's more accurate and easier to read since it has a digital read out.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you measured your tank to verify the gallon capacity, and you carefully, with accurate equipment have followed the dosing guidelines @HotRocks has posted, I would trust the dosing. The API kit is unreliable.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you measured your tank to verify the gallon capacity, and you carefully, with accurate equipment have followed the dosing guidelines @HotRocks has posted, I would trust the dosing. The API kit is unreliable.
I did/have done all those things, so I do have a pretty good idea of what the reading should be, but always nice to have a little more verification.

As for the Hanna checker, yes I could purchase that, but gosh haven't we been QTing with copper for years without it? I would have thought API would have been a bit more straight forward than this. :rolleyes:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did/have done all those things, so I do have a pretty good idea of what the reading should be, but always nice to have a little more verification.

As for the Hanna checker, yes I could purchase that, but gosh haven't we been QTing with copper for years without it? I would have thought API would have been a bit more straight forward than this. :rolleyes:

I don't believe the API kit is all that untrustworthy. It's just difficult to read. The whole thing with the Hanna checker started because Coppersafe was proving to be unreliable in it's dosage and potency. Copper Power hasn't had that issue that I've heard of, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. I mentioned the hanna checker only because it's easier to read.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe the API kit is all that untrustworthy. It's just difficult to read. The whole thing with the Hanna checker started because Coppersafe was proving to be unreliable in it's dosage and potency. Copper Power hasn't had that issue that I've heard of, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. I mentioned the hanna checker only because it's easier to read.
Exactly why I went with Copper Power, from reading other discussion in this forum on which one to get. I think my plan will be to just aim to maintain the current shade of yellow as I should be within therapeutic range and start the clock on my 30 days.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything above.

As always I highly recommend frequent testing!

If you are using copper power and have dosed by math VS volume I would recommend getting to what "should be" 1.75ppm. 1.5ppm is to close for comfort for me personally. Even with the digital test result.

The only problem I have with the API kit is the 1.0ppm jump to 2.0ppm. It's a wide range when you are trying to hit a tight window. What would be really nice is if it had a 1.5ppm swatch to match. Cause then it would be easier to stay within the range of 1.5ppm-2.0ppm using the visual test method.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything above.

As always I highly recommend frequent testing!

If you are using copper power and have dosed by math VS volume I would recommend getting to what "should be" 1.75ppm. 1.5ppm is to close for comfort for me personally. Even with the digital test result.

The only problem I have with the API kit is the 1.0ppm jump to 2.0ppm. It's a wide range when you are trying to hit a tight window. What would be really nice is if it had a 1.5ppm swatch to match. Cause then it would be easier to stay within the range of 1.5ppm-2.0ppm using the visual test method.
I did add the equivalent of another gallon's worth last night just to bump it up a bit more. Like you said, there is a range there to stay within.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 107 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back