API Nitrate Reagents are ‘Usable’ With the Hanna Checker

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

calli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s cool that you’ve ran a long term test using both reagents. I agree that testing with the Hanna reagent then testing with the ATI reagent and having different values doesn’t mean that the API reagents gave the wrong value. For any of these tests to be valid these tests really should be performed on a sample with a known value, or at least be ran with tests from other manufacturers to see how they compare.

I will say that when there is a difference between the tests using the two reagents I tend to trust the reagent that was made to be used with the tester, although that doesn’t mean it to the one that’s the most accurate.
For sure, I would also lean that way to the OEM reagent. If this was Alk we would be speaking much differently. I am okay if my nitrates are less than 20ppm so this looks like it may work for the purpose of checking a parameter that has lots of wiggle room.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also been “testing”, I haven’t been keeping records but can say I have given up on the idea of using the API reagents in the Hanna checker, the results were just too off.

I noticed if low nitrates, say around 10, then the API was only slightly different, but with higher nitrates above 20 then it could be any where from 10 to 20ppm off.

The API test kit calls for only 5ml water sample, but the Hanna calls for a 10ml sample, so what have people been doing? Double the reagents? I did try this, seemed to make the results worse, increased the ppm so the difference between the Hanna and API was even greater.

calli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also been “testing”, I haven’t been keeping records but can say I have given up on the idea of using the API reagents in the Hanna checker, the results were just too off.

I noticed if low nitrates, say around 10, then the API was only slightly different, but with higher nitrates above 20 then it could be any where from 10 to 20ppm off.

The API test kit calls for only 5ml water sample, but the Hanna calls for a 10ml sample, so what have people been doing? Double the reagents? I did try this, seemed to make the results worse, increased the ppm so the difference between the Hanna and API was even greater.
Yeah, I feel that is why I would spot check with the Hanna reagents once every couple of months or when the API test goes a bit off track week over week.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I feel that is why I would spot check with the Hanna reagents once every couple of months or when the API test goes a bit off track week over week.

Yeah I agree it’s good for that, it does seem quite consistent, if you were only to use the API reagents then you are probably going to get a reliable result, doesn’t matter if it reads higher than Hanna, as long as it’s consistent.

It does show Hanna up for the exorbitant cost Hanna are charging for the nitrate reagents, API does 3x the number of tests for half the price, even Hanna’s own nitrate reagents for the low range checker were a similar price but there was multiple different reagents included in that kit, how they can justify the same price for 1 reagent is shameful.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back