Api reading 1+ ammonia Salifert .25 ammonia Nitrates 10

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept fowlr tanks and a few basic softies for I think 3 years now. So not a total noob.

Anyways I'm cycling a new reefer 250, last Sunday I finished with the aquascape, water and live sand. I added 4oz Dr tims, and dosed ammonia to ~2 ppm. Today I tested with my API ammonia test and noticed ammonia was still between 1 and 2. So this morning I moved some seeded ceramic media into the sump, went to LFS got 2oz fritz turbo start, and a salifert ammonia test kit.

The salifert test kit is reading I think. 25 (maybe .5 looks closer to .5 with the flash on) ammonia, and API still 1 or more. Even took it to my LFS 3 hours ago, he uses API and it was a similar shade of green. Now the real Interesting part is my nitrates are around 10.

He was slightly perplexed but said it should work it self out in a week or so. Anyone have any guesses?

20210528_220409.jpg 20210528_221429.jpg 20210528_221507.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cycle is done see here

you are missing tan conversion on the reading, even the kit above in the pic agrees it’s done. Run the tan conversion chart from the directions you’ll see the ammonia is just fine, can reef, didn’t need the Fritz but it’s ok to double up.

OP
OP
Grumblez

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cycle is done see here

you are missing tan conversion on the reading, even the kit above in the pic agrees it’s done. Run the tan conversion chart from the directions you’ll see the ammonia is just fine, can reef, didn’t need the Fritz but it’s ok to double up.
Tan conversion kit?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your ammonia test kit instructions, do they give a chart that shows free ammonia vs total

that conversion is tan and we only care about the free ammonia not total. it helps to contextualize your readings but you can see in the link given we dont even have to test at all to cycle a tank. This just helps show your readings in the right way

if I’m not wrong on that kit, after tan conversion your ammonia reads .025 which is safe ideal etc.

OP
OP
Grumblez

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your ammonia test kit instructions, do they give a chart that shows free ammonia vs total

that conversion is tan and we only care about the free ammonia not total. it helps to contextualize your readings but you can see in the link given we dont even have to test at all to cycle a tank. This just helps show your readings in the right way

if I’m not wrong on that kit, after tan conversion your ammonia reads .025 which is safe ideal etc.

I read through your bottled BAC, and other threads on cycling, interesting read. I don't see a chart for converting/guestimating total to free ammonia with the salifert test kit. I tried my hand at raising fry several years ago so am aware of the difference in the two and if you use something like prime your total ammonia will stay same but free ammonia drops. Did know you would see a big difference between the two without the use of chemicals though?

I have a couple years old API test kit I ran just for fun, I wouldn't trust it at this point with any sort of certainty outside off I have a good amount of total ammonia and on the lower end of free ammonia.

20210529_152229.jpg

Top left is Free ammonia, below that is the control, bottom right is total.

The sciencey part of this hobby is one of my favorite parts of it. I noticed in your threads you really like the seneye. I saw that and thought it looked really cool but it has terrible reviews for anything other than as a par monitor, think that's mostly user error?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We never cared about anything but it’s nh3 meter and nothing in the hobby can match its nh3 measuring ability. That being said nobody really needs to test for ammonia in reefing, it’s self controlling on the dates the label on the bottle bac says. Since the public likes to test for ammonia we like collecting seneye results to prove cycling points, your cycle is totally done as you paid for this ability from the added bac.

I just like it for smashing old cycling rules, but I’ll never own one. I’ll never test for ammonia in any reef, cycling or not, you can see in the works and degree of cycled tanks on file we don’t need ammonia testing at all. At any phase. Any cycle that is in doubt can just wait 20 days or so and change water and be cycled, never fails

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back