API Stress coat making protein skimmer go nuts!

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo I added API stress coat to my aquarium because I heard it was good when adding new fish. Plus, I had another fish with frayed fins and wanted some added healing power.

Anyways, my skimmer is going nuts and has been now for almost 3 days. Has anyone else had this experience? The instructions say that it doesn't impact skimmer.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought this was just for fresh water never heard anybody use it. I use seachem prime for water conditioner. Who knows what’s in it for improving stress coat which is making skimmer go crazy.

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought this was just for fresh water never heard anybody use it. I use seachem prime for water conditioner. Who knows what’s in it for improving stress coat which is making skimmer go crazy.
Nope, it says saltwater on the bottle and it states it doesn't effect the skimmer. I wonder how long this is going to go one for?

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress Coat contains Aloe vera which, for lack of a better terms, is like snotty plant juice. Either the aloe or bacteria eating the aloe are giving your skimmer a hard time. Does everything else look okay?

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress Coat contains Aloe vera which, for lack of a better terms, is like snotty plant juice. Either the aloe or bacteria eating the aloe are giving your skimmer a hard time. Does everything else look okay?
Yeah its just going crazy for 4 days. I have 2 skimmers, one for skimming and other for ozone. I had to discontinue the use of both. I want to get them back running, I wonder how much longer this will take place for?

Thank for the response btw!

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd imagine it's up to the skimmer to remove it unless you do massive water changes.

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd imagine it's up to the skimmer to remove it unless you do massive water changes.
Can't use the skimmer to remove it because it just over flows. Will the product not dissipate on it own?

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue, someone in the chemistry forum might know.

If you have some time this weekend, maybe see if you can just power through with the skimmer and get most of it out.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back