Apolemichthys xanthotis AKA Yellow-ear Angelfish or Red Sea angelfish

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a Apolemichthys xanthotis NOT to be confused with Apolemichthys xanthurus aka the Xanthurus Cream Angelfish or yellowtail angelfish. I have actually never seen or heard of this species before yesterday. I purchased from NYAquatics. I tried reading up on the species but there is little to be found anywhere on the internet and none of the other suppliers had anything listed on their page, even Live Aquaria.

Is anyone familiar first hand experience with the species or have any insight on the care level, any insight would be wonderful. All I could find on it is below.

Thank you and Happy New Year everyone!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a Apolemichthys xanthotis NOT to be confused with Apolemichthys xanthurus aka the Xanthurus Cream Angelfish or yellowtail angelfish. I have actually never seen or heard of this species before yesterday. I purchased from NYAquatics. I tried reading up on the species but there is little to be found anywhere on the internet and none of the other suppliers had anything listed on their page, even Live Aquaria.

Is anyone familiar first hand experience with the species or have any insight on the care level, any insight would be wonderful. All I could find on it is below.

Thank you and Happy New Year everyone!
I would probably say they’re a similar care to the Tiger Angel if I had to compare it to something else but I’ve never had first hand experience with this fish.

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably say they’re a similar care to the Tiger Angel if I had to compare it to something else but I’ve never had first hand experience with this fish.
Thank you

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micheal from NYAquatic was kind enough to take a video of my new friend. Super beautiful fish!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micheal from NYAquatic was kind enough to take a video of my new friend. Super beautiful fish!

That fish is a gem!! I can see why it gets confused with the Xanthurus cream angel.

Zekireef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never come across one (chaetodontoplus and pomacanthus are more my jam) but stunning fish either way!! Would love to see photos of yours if you’re up for it

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish is a gem!! I can see why it gets confused with the Xanthurus cream angel.
Agreed, especially when it gets mature and the face turn jet black.

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never come across one (chaetodontoplus and pomacanthus are more my jam) but stunning fish either way!! Would love to see photos of yours if you’re up for it
Absolutely!

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love bluefaces, one of my four favourite angels next to scribbled, false personifers/Meredith’s and asfurs!!!
I have a true personifier, conspicuous, mis bar regal, tiger angelfish and now these two. Last I will add is a male scribbled angelfish but its taking longer to source a smaller one 5-6" or so.

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love bluefaces, one of my four favourite angels next to scribbled, false personifers/Meredith’s and asfurs!!!
Here they are. @NYAquatic was a great experience, super healthy fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are. @NYAquatic was a great experience, super healthy fish.

They’re both beautiful!! I’d love a blue face but my 4’ tank is both not enough room and can only fit another 2-3 4” fish in

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back