View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
potm-thread-graphic-new-jpg.939632

Welcome to the Reef2Reef POTM Contest - Photo of the Month

Sponsored by Avast Marine!

This month's subject - Acropora Colony

Deadline to Enter: Apr 30, 2020 at 11:59 pm (EST)

Looking forward to a colorful POTM this month, so many Acros varieties and expecting amazing picture from all to do your favorite colony justice! Remember, the photo has to have been taken by you, and the coral has to be in your aquarium, or the ocean. would be even better if colony has been grown by you to post a pic of when you first got it as well so we enjoy some great growth shots with this POTM.

This is a photo contest after all and we're looking for the best photograph. Yes, you can use a post-editing product to better your pictures. In fact, we encourage it.
Few tips:
- Experiment with different composition, maybe a dd a moving fish for more dynamics and sense of scale in your shot.
- Play with DOF using aperture to blur the background or have different effects

As always refer to the multiple photography articles or post any questions you might have on the photography forum for better support. Maybe also post a few pictures for suggestions and critique to improve your shots wile preparing for this months contest as well.

Prize: POTM Winner Banner, one year free Premium Membership and an Avast Marine Porthole courtesy of Avast Marine. Details below. (Note: Winners located outside the United States will be responsible for applicable shipping costs)

How To Enter:
Entering is easy, just a few simple guidelines to follow:
  • Enter ONE photo, taken by you of the subject for the month before the deadline
  • If you enter a second photo, it will be deleted so choose wisely before posting your entry
  • Multiple entries, off subject photos, or broken image links will be disqualified
  • Entries must be submitted before the deadline
  • Photo must be taken by you and in your tank or in the ocean
  • You must have an avatar uploaded when you enter
  • Prior winner (within the last 6 months) are welcome to enter, but not eligible for the prizes
  • In order to qualify to win the Avast Marine Porthole you must also like the Avast Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/avast.marine/
Winner Selection:
The mod team will select up to 15 finalists and a poll will be created and posted in the Reef Discussion Forum. The Grand Prize Winner will be determined by Reef2Reef member voting. To be eligible to vote, you must have been a member for 30 days and have 25 meaningful posts. Votes by members not meeting this criteria will be disregarded in the final count. In the case of a tie, the mod team will assist in choosing the winner. Rules, deadlines and terms are subject to change, without notice, at any time. The winner will be posted and tagged in the voting poll and will have 48 hours to claim the prize.

As this is a photography competition, and the goal is to recognize the highest quality picture. So take your time, do your post shot editing, and submit your best image.

The Prize:

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#POTM #Photographers #reefsquad #MODS

April 2020 POTM is up and running. Good luck all and let's see some great shots.
Please do share the following info about your submissions to make POTM a learning experience:

Tehnical info
- Camera/mobile phone used for the shot
- Lense
-parameters (aperture, shutter, speed Flash)

also do share:
choice of your subject
what makes it special
what made you chose the composition you went with
Any other elements that make you like the picture you took.

Most important let it be a fun competition and lets see some amazing pictures.
good luck all.

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solitariensis yellow
POTM2.jpg

Asus Zenfone 4MAX (top down with circulation pumps OFF)
f/2
1/120s
ISO 168

This a Solitariensis (?) yellow that I have for almost 8 years. It was in my previous tank, that crashed down in 2016. A friend gave me back a frag, after I restarted the system.
It's far my favorite table in the tank, with a massive table and a deep yellow greenish color.
It growed up from a 2cm frag to this in 3 years.....

Just for curious purpose, it came to me like this:
soli-yellow-frag.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
F7B38A84-1809-453B-A7DE-93845A2CFDCC.jpeg

Last edited:

pokerdobe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_1149[1] small.jpg

• Nikon D5500
  • 18-55mm kit lens
  • F stop: f/7.1
  • Exposure: 1/60
  • ISO: 2000
It's not the flashiest, but this pink lemonade has so far, survived all my mishaps as a beginner. This includes:
  • Alk swings
  • PO4 spikes
  • AEFW
  • Multiple tank transfers
In its current form, it was transferred over to my current tank after the AEFW issue. There was no main body - just a piece of encrusted rock.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A no-name colony I grew from a frag over 8 months. It was dark brown when I got it, but nearly instantly it gained this gorgeous rainbow palette.
IMG_1575.JPG

Forgive the strands of algae stuck in the branches, I tried my best to remove them. They are now out, but I didn't feel like taking another picture lol

Good luck everyone, and God bless you!

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, the colors look pretty washed out in the picture... I don't have any editing software though, so you guys are seeing the raw, unadultered photo.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA!!!

No photo's from me this time. I assume the photo must be a Colony, not a growing ACRO Frag?

I killed all my Acro Frags way before they become colonies.
Things have changed for the better, so maybe in a a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back