Aptasia and copepods on my zoas?

thunderreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was tough to get a picture zoomed in and clear enough, so I also added a video that seems more clear and can also see movement. I'm guessing aptasia on the zoa to the left, but looking to confirm. It's white and seems attached to the zoa itself. My experience is limited, but in the past aptasia I've dealt with was attached to rock or frag plug, not the zoa itself, and was closer to a light yellow or brownish color. Looking to confirm. If so, not sure how I'm going to approach. I've used Aptasia X, but that seemed to fry nearby zoa polyps.

Second pic is the zoa next to the one on the left. Hoping its just a copepod crawling around on the polyp, but looking to confirm in case I need to do more to protect the other frags in the tank. I had another frag that had these guys crawling around when it was dying, so worried the vultures are circling this frag.

Appreciate any help, thanks! IMG_9576.jpg IMG_9577.jpg

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can't open your video and I can't see anything in the pictures. Try uploading the video to YouTube and posting the link here

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really hard to see but I don't think I see any aiptasia. Maybe just algae?

OP
OP
thunderreefer

thunderreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not easy to see, it’s really thin and I’m limited how close I can zoom. Hopefully it’s clear on where to look. On the closed zoa to the left, you can see the fine strands fluttering in the current. There is a group of these stands above the polyp sticking out to the right which is what I’m referring too.

About half way through the video, you can see a critter crawling on the main polyp of the closed frag just to the right of the one referenced above. There’s quite a few of them on this frag so want to make sure that even if I loose this frag, these critters aren’t a problem for the rest of the frags in the tank.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see in your photo/video. But does it look like this? If yes, this is a type of hydroid.

1597519545543.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back