Aptasia eating file fish people.

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a little 1¹/²in file fish. He has been in the tank a week now. And hasn't touched a aptasia. Question is for people who have them how long did it take before they started eating them? I know that it is possible that it may not eat them.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very possible he doesn't eat them. In my experience, which may, or may not mean anything, they are hit and miss at best.
If I were to buy an Aptasia eating file fish again, it would be from another reefer who would say without a doubt that he/she had actually seen the filefish eating Aptasia.

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one around 20 years ago - a tassleated file fish (Chaetodermis penicilligerus ) - that finished clearing out the aptasia in my tank in the hard to reach places I couldn't get to. Mine was larger - around 4" or so. It took out the aptasia and didn't bother anything else in the tank.

I was very happy with that fish - entertaining, peaceful and useful.

extremetang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a copper band butterfly and within 3 weeks it eradicated all the aptasia in my tank. It’s also a much prettier fish

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They now have Biota Captive Bread Versions of these fish. They are bred and eat Apstasia....

mikedb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They now have Biota Captive Bread Versions of these fish. They are bred and eat Apstasia....

I have a Biota 'Aptasia Eating' Radial Filefish who has been a resident of my tank for just over a year now. Manilla is a cool fish with a unique look and a fun personality. But unfortunately he has absolutely no interest in eating Aptasia.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

I have a plain ole male matted / aptasia file fish I got from LA about a year ago. It took him about a month to get going, but once he did he cleared a forest out in my 180 in about 3 week. He has since become my favorite fish. He eats Nori from the clip like a tang. His color changing patterns are way cool to watch and he just seems to have a laid back attitude.

Like said, there is no guarantee, but I also think some don’t wait that3-4 weeks to let the fish get comfortable enough to start eating. They expect instant results.

i think it’s a cool fish either way

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started mine in my frag tank. He didn't do anything for a couple of weeks. I starved him and once he started eating aiptasia, he got put in my DT. Cleared my 180 in a week. Any way you can starve yours and get him hungry? They will find a food source.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt know that the Radial file fish were hopeful aptasia eaters. Ive had a breeding pair for a couple of years until the female disappeared on me (three weeks and no trace of her. Maybe she became a cat snack) but niether file fish touched an aiptasia unless it was burned with kalk first.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back