Aptasia infestation can’t get rid of it

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make story short tank is getting a lot of aptasia I already used aptasia x and other methods like lime juice in needle and shoot them directly also boiling hot water but just keeps coming back they are all little have like 20 heads in my 50 gallon reef any other method u can use.
Maybe shrimps ??

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try natural predation. Peppermint shrimps, bergehia nudibranch, or aiptasia eating filefish. I've used peppermints with varying degrees of success. I don't have experience with the later two though. I have read good things about bergehia but they are also kinda pricey. Copper band butterfly fish or racoon butterfly fish could be used in extreme cases. But they're generally not reef safe;)

Also, make sure you really cover them good when using kalk paste or aiptasia x. They need to have a thick layer on them or they'll spread. Some may require multiple treatments per week to kill off.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would watch the peppermint shrimps closely if used. They are known for going rogue and eating LPS - Acans in particular.
Mine were well behaved, thankfully. Along these lines, make sure you get actual peppermint shrimp and not the very similar camel shrimp.

nhlives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make story short tank is getting a lot of aptasia I already used aptasia x and other methods like lime juice in needle and shoot them directly also boiling hot water but just keeps coming back they are all little have like 20 heads in my 50 gallon reef any other method u can use.
Maybe shrimps ??

Aptsaia-x just makes it worse. I have used both nudis and a file fish. My vote is for the file fish. He hangs around to handle any re-infestations and are very interesting addition to the tank. Get the Ora tank raised.

Randyp79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptsaia-x just makes it worse. I have used both nudis and a file fish. My vote is for the file fish. He hangs around to handle any re-infestations and are very interesting addition to the tank. Get the Ora tank raised.
My ORA File Fish wiped out my aiptasia and then went after my zoas when it ran out of aiptasia.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File fish are effective. Peppermint shrimp did nothing for me. Manual removeal of the larger ones is a must. Kalk past along with remove the rock to scrape off the Aptasia is my preferred method of attack.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have always pulled the rock out of water. using a torch lighter burn the infected areas deep in the caves and rinsing in saltwater before returning to tank. never had one re-appear ever again.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a great experience with Berghia nudibranch. They cleaned up my 280 gal tank of aiptasia in less than two weeks

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bergy Nudis have 1 job in their existence and this is it. I've found that by the time you would have tried this or that or something else you could have bought some nudis twice or thrice over.

nhlives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ORA File Fish wiped out my aiptasia and then went after my zoas when it ran out of aiptasia.

I haven’t seen this but he does pick at almost everything. At feeding time he is a pig. Perhaps that is the secret.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad infestation in my tank that was taken care of with Berghia Nudibranch in 3 months time. It won't happen overnight but they'll start to disappear little by little because they eat the ones deep inside the rocks first and work their way out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back