Aptasia is getting the better of me! Genuinely considering giving up :-(

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how you knew the species. They look very similar

It’s like the banner fish and modish those 2 look very similar.
Really take a trained up and a trusted source to rush putting that in my tank
Hard to tell the difference. But ime, after aiptaisa is gone, they will nip at LPS. Scolys and acans are their fave. They’ve got a fancy appetite. Also they shredded my hammer when a turbo snail knocked a monti digi directly into it. I’d love to get these guys out of the display. Easier said than done.
CB3F5E2B-A24D-43FA-804C-C5AFB53F68C7.jpeg

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell the difference. But ime, after aiptaisa is gone, they will nip at LPS. Scolys and acans are their fave. They’ve got a fancy appetite. Also they shredded my hammer when a turbo snail knocked a monti digi directly into it. I’d love to get these guys out of the display. Easier said than done.
CB3F5E2B-A24D-43FA-804C-C5AFB53F68C7.jpeg
That’s the issue. My lfs gets me Lysmata boggessi. These I have found over 3 years will not touch any of the corals I have

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of mine by moving each rock one at a time into a sump full of hungry peppermint shrimp...
I used a torch lighter on the remaining ....
and finally I moved the peppermints into the DT and haven't seen one since ...
...I'm working on ridding a 2nd tank the same way

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how many you actually have/rockscape since no pictures but is it possible to use a toothbrush? Ive had a few that ive used this way to kill but not an "infestation" level.

Also if you wanna get high tech....And watch it suffer for causing you a year+ of pain... Lasers... LOL. Im not joking.

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nano, you can't really go wild with solutions and meds as the fluctuation takes a toll and makes a bigger difference in that volume of water. I highly suggest a majano wand. Worked great for me. They are pricey, but if you have a local reefer community, I'm sure someone has 1 you can borrow or do it for you. The satisfaction you get from watching the buggers fry and die.... only one other thing tops it.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this terrible advice about using Ap X, F Ap, Joe's Juice, Lemon, etc... the reason you have so much is because you are using that garbage and they are releasing spores before they die. The ONLY way to get rid of them is to make them a food source and the predator generally will win out in the end.

This is why nudi's work so well, they keep breeding until they out compete the aiptasia. If you can't get nudis then get a file fish or the shrimp. Stop using chemicals, it's absolutely terrible advice and will only make your problem worse in the long run.

ALAN O475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....as the title suggests, aptasia has really got me to the edge of giving it up.
I’ve been battling this for about 1+1/2 years.
Aptasia X is no longer ‘working’ in that, I’ve WAY too many aptasia to know where to start. They’re now stinging my SPS corals. ☹
I’m limited to how I can eradicate these as I’ve
30 Litre (8gallon) nano reef, with 5kg of live rock, therefore can not put any large fish in that eat aptasia.

Peppermint shrimp- due to the size of the tank, I thought that one would do the job?; turns out that they hunt aptasia in packs and I’d need a minimum of 3 ? (Please correct me if I’m wrong here, but this is what I’ve read up) I’ve not got a shrimp for this reason, also 3 In a tank this size wouldn’t be fair on the shrimp.
nudibranches are next to impossible to find in the UK !

if anyone has any suggestions to get rid of these please, it would be much appreciated. I’m hoping that I’m wrong about the peppermint shrimp thing, and that I’ll be fine to get 1 or2 to do the job.
Thanks all
Emma xx

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one viable way is to get out rock by rock and remove them manually then return rock to tank.
If corals can handle little time outside water... thats the way I would go.

k3cka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it feels impossible, we just went through it over here too.
We would try to take them off rocks that we could, but coulndt get all the rock out. Aptasia X caused a massive explosion of aptasia babies that then began to string and actually grow on our SPS. It was a MESS!
Berghia were life savors. At first it didnt seem like anything was happening, but then about a month and a half later ALL the aptasia was gone. A serious miracle. I couldnt find them locally, had to have them shipped. The shipping was more expensive then the berghia, but it was well worth it!

Mojo423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all nano reefs can be quickly cleared of aiptasia

its not by doing anything with the rock in the tank

its by taking the rock out, with corals, and removing sips by chiseling exactly from up under and simply removing them. The corals aren't harmed by air contact, the rocks, it doesn't recycle, none of it.

You'd be surprised how much people will hold onto aiptasia though it can be cleared this way, in the end Im not sure we're ready to let go of it. People demand work without having to remove stuff. right before you shut down, lets clear the aiptasia this way. this is the right way to start with so the tank never gets taken over. holler if you want it cleared, takes an hour or so.

whats the difference between clearing a nano of aiptasia vs a normal sized tank? excuses.

we get 100% more access excuses from large tank owners. I can't, fill in your rationale for keeping them.

nanos=I can access, ergo aiptasia can be eliminated day 1. Most just don't know about the surgical option, they choose methods that spread them. Its flat out easy to rid them once and for all. most simply will not, same with GHA etc. hesitation is what they need, and some mode of import :)

easy fix here/alert ha nice.
B
Will this method work with hydroids?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo no I don’t think so, I’ve got some I just have to live with. If there was a certain hydroid control my tank welcomes it!

The hydroids are spreading/associated with the rock as tiny juvenile forms we can’t directly access, unlike aiptasia where they won’t spontaneously appear although they can hide and withdraw pretty well in live rock. When the aip plus it’s base is clipped or scraped out, it’s gone as long as no foot material remains.

With hydroids you clean one area, they’ve already sprouted somewhere else during phases we can’t see

Last edited:

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how many you actually have/rockscape since no pictures but is it possible to use a toothbrush? Ive had a few that ive used this way to kill but not an "infestation" level.

Also if you wanna get high tech....And watch it suffer for causing you a year+ of pain... Lasers... LOL. Im not joking.

Lasers are nothing more than entertainment. Yes the Aiptasia sizzles like bacon (yes right through the glass) but they come back by the dozens when you do so. I tried the laser, Aiptasia X (which killed an anemone & some corals), tried nudis & the only thing I had success with was ORA eating filefish.

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mm that sounded a little psychopathic.

Back