Aptasia or something else?

codymichae1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I know it’s asked all the time but I’m trying to figure out what this is. I’ve looked through pics and posts and just can’t find something that looks extremely identical. It’s the only one in the tank as well and it’s kinda large… Aptasia, paly… something else? The center head is about 3/4” wide and the whole thing with the tentacles is about 2” wide.
tempImagesr3SFc.jpg
tempImageHlaxTY.jpg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, aiptasia. Look closely at your rock work; if you have one you most likely have others.

OP
OP
codymichae1

codymichae1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, aiptasia. Look closely at your rock work; if you have one you most likely have others.
You are correct, I see like 10 little tiny ones on the same rock. I don't know how they got in but I think I might need a filefish or something for this

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, I see like 10 little tiny ones on the same rock. I don't know how they got in but I think I might need a filefish or something for this
Yeah, file fish or the "real" peppermint shrimp. I tried all the chemicals without much luck and then found some peppermints that did the job.
1626022726239.png

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having success with Berghia Nudis. They only eat Aiptasia. They're not cheap, but they get the job done, and no side effects.
I purchased 6 medium ones from Salty Underground. I plan on getting some more if the initial 6 aren't clearing them out fast enough.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia.

My suggestions.
If possible, pull the rock they’re on and nuke it, let it dry out or boil it. Hopefully they haven’t spread, but they likely have.
From my reading peppermints are hit and miss, same with just about everything that supposedly eats it. The only surefire way are berghia nudibranches.
My 55 was absolutely covered in a carpet of aiptasia. Bought 4 berghias. 3 months later I had dozens of berghia and no aiptasia.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back