Aptasia outbreak

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia are everywhere in my tank. I added Nudibranch in the last 2 weeks but seem like nothing improve. I also add file fish and he just swimming around and never touch aptasia. I used to use laser, but it still comeback after couple days. I just add cooperband butterfly m, but he just also ignore eating. I heard about aptasia x, but I have 6in bubble tip anemone and I dont want it stress. Any solution for my tank??

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia are everywhere in my tank. I added Nudibranch in the last 2 weeks but seem like nothing improve. I also add file fish and he just swimming around and never touch aptasia. I used to use laser, but it still comeback after couple days. I just add cooperband butterfly m, but he just also ignore eating. I heard about aptasia x, but I have 6in bubble tip anemone and I dont want it stress. Any solution for my tank??
I used joe’s Juice. I’m pretty sure you can make your own for cheaper, but I just wanted to be safe since it was my first time dealing with aiptasia. It worked pretty well for the not deep in cracks of rock. As long as you only shoot as much as you need to kill the aiptasia and remove excess your anemone should be fine. Mine got alittle angry for like an hour but was fine.

JakeMonast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience a Copperband Butterfly will do the job very well, considering it will be a compatible tank mate. Filefish are a pain because they hide and are very hard to catch after the Aiptasia problem is gone, as they do tend to eat some soft corals and you'll want to remove them/it. Peppermint shrimp work well too yet aren't quick but the fastest way is to use something like Aiptasia-x by RedSea, just make sure to siphon the extra out as I've had it take down a bubble coral before. Just my 2-cents. I'm sure someone will have better advice!

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you use either joe’s juice or Aptasia X, the paste leftover will stay on sand bed, so do we need to take it out or leave it like that. My filefish just swim around and do nothing in 2 weeks

JakeMonast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you use either joe’s juice or Aptasia X, the paste leftover will stay on sand bed, so do we need to take it out or leave it like that. My filefish just swim around and do nothing in 2 weeks
Once again, I would highly reccomend removing it as it may kill/damage any other anemones in the tank and that alone could nuke your tank.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used laser to kill it and suck all dead stuffs after killing it. I will try to burn them today as it’s root still on the rock and have potential to grow it back. CBB still ignore eating aptasia

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have some kalkwasser, you can make a paste and apply it to the aptasia with a small syringe. The kalk paste with cover them well, and kill them with its very high ph. If you have a large infestation, apply it to the tank in sections while monitoring your alkalinity to prevent a spike. I never had a problem with that but it is good to be prudent. Turn of the return pump and any powerheads for a bit while applying and make sure the paste doesn't get on any coral or livestock. Cheap and easy, assuming you can access the aptasia manually. Hope that helps.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back