Aptasia that you cant reach? Thinking about a Laser...

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 265 gallon. Been running for a while. Got some green hair going on, slowed up feeding, and snails and crabs are doing there job and I am on the back end of it now. Now that all the algae that was lower on the rocks is no longer there, I can see some Aptasia. Had it for a little while and been doing a good job getting most that were visible with Aptasia x. I noticed some lower, so I bought one of those Wands, Peace of junk. I wouldn't recommend it. It works maybe 25% of the time and you have to be right on the pest. Most suck in before you can get them and if you go in the hole they pulled in on, sometimes it works but most of the time an hour later its back out and you just wasted your time. Got a file fish about a month ago, not really doing his job. I dont think he got any yet. I say that because the unreachable ones are still there and growing. I threw about a dozen peppermint shrimp in a few weeks ago too and same. Not a lot happening. So that leads me to the Laser. I see a lot of posts about them. I see the danger in them, and also people saying that they dont work either(guessing its the make and power that determine that). Anyway, there isn't a place to just buy one that I can be sure does the job. The people on here that say they use it effectively either built there own, someone built it for them, or they bought it on Ebay, and when I click a link they show, it no longer exists. does anyone have and experience they can give me and possible a place to buy one strong enough to do the job?

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear they work but cause the aiptasia to spread faster in the long run. I hear you though. I got a file fish and shrimp, they ignored the aiptasia once they get so big they wont touch them. Super glue is supposed to work the best lol

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A laser is only going to work if can hit the entire aiptasia, including the foot all the way to the rock it's attached too.
Most aiptasias have their foot protected in a hollow spot or crevice in the rock.
They just grow back.

Your best bet is a critter that eats them.
File fish, several species of butterfly fish, peppermint shrimp, or berghia nudibranchs.

LDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a few different batches of peppermint shrimp and finally got some that were crazy for aptasia! It's the only thing that has worked for me and when it finally did it was completely eradicated.

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw 10 peppermint shrimp into my tank they devoured the Aptasia in one day. I still see some of the shrimp at night not seen another Aptasia.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found he laser useless. This week I am taking all rock out of my tank piece by piece and placing them in my QT tank with berghia nudibranchs. I tried them in my display tank last fall but the flow was too high. So the flow is slow in the QT just a HOB filter. Tried pepper mints too. But with the shrimps you can also get ones that don't eat Aptasia.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Berghia are literally your best bet!
They will completely eradicate your aiptasia problem if you add the appropriate amount to your size of tank

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back