Aptasia

ashtoreth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently noticed these translucent-ish things in my tank and growing over one zoa plug. Is this aptasia? I was able to sweep it off the zoa plug into water outside the tank but noticed it's growing on one rock as well so wanted to confirm. If so, will getting a peppermint shrimp work or should I try to scrub off my one rock where I can see it now as well?

IMG_0055.jpg
IMG_0056.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all, I recently noticed these translucent-ish things in my tank and growing over one zoa plug. Is this aptasia? I was able to sweep it off the zoa plug into water outside the tank but noticed it's growing on one rock as well so wanted to confirm. If so, will getting a peppermint shrimp work or should I try to scrub off my one rock where I can see it now as well?

IMG_0055.jpg
IMG_0056.jpg
Poriferan sponge
They can in time be invasive. You can pull rock and remove with dental pick or tweezers or inject with air or vinegar via syringe and they should subside

OP
OP
ashtoreth

ashtoreth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it--thanks so much for the ID! Will it proliferate if I scrub it off? E.g. better to inject / do things that won't burst it or it doesn't matter?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back