Aqua artistry: Do you prefer a minimalist aquascape?

Do you prefer minimalist aquascaping?

• I strongly prefer minimalist aquascaping.

Votes: 51 14.4%
  • I think minimalist aquascaping is one of the good options.

Votes: 96 27.1%
  • I don’t have a preference for or against minimalist aquascaping.

Votes: 100 28.2%
  • I don’t prefer minimalist aquascaping.

Votes: 91 25.7%
  • What is minimalist aquascaping again?

Votes: 16 4.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aqua artistry: Do you prefer a minimalist aquascape?

Minimalist aquascape or densely populated reef – there are many approaches to a developing a beautiful saltwater aquarium. There is not one right way, the aquascaping trends have changed over time, and we all have different preferences. For the minimalist approach there is a tradeoff between having a clean look which allows for easier separation of corals that may not get along and fewer mounting points. In contrast, a denser reef may have more hiding places and more places to put corals, however overcrowding can become an issue. Tell us about your viewpoint on aquascaping in the following thread – do you prefer a minimalist aquascape?

Pro Tip: Minimalist design often implements limited colors groups and simple forms with a emphasis on white space. In a reef tank, white space can be described as the empty spaces around the aquascaping. Sometimes in a minimalist aquascape it is as much about what isn't there and using the separation of elements and open water as a design element.

SunnyX_Minimalist.png

Photo by @SunnyX

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png

"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities" -Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The minimal scapes are really only good for tanks that you want to have coral only and maybe only have 5-6 species of coral colonies.
Other than that, I honestly dislike them and would rather have a lot of rock for fish to feel safe in and also allow more hiding spots to occur with the colonies growing out. Maybe if the colonies were big enough I’d remove some rock but at first I’d have to start with a large amount of LR.

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of a minimalist aquascape but feel the cost to fish health and stress may not be worth it and it may be a bit overhyped. I run a pretty minimal aquascape myself and have mixed feelings. It’s great for acro placement but it means my fish squabble for sleeping spots at night. On the other hand my acros are placed decently far apart for good potential to grow dense and natural.
IMG_4308.jpeg

just under a year later:
IMG_6406.jpeg

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my aquarium very crowded with a lot of live rock, but realized I wasn't getting very good flow.
I just spent most of the last week redoing my aquascape, and today am putting my corals back in my new more "minimalist" scape.
My fish are already happier, except my engineer goby and dusky jawfish. Hopefully they quit pouting soon and get to work.
I'll post pics to my build thread in another day - I forgot to take pics of the progression, so I will just post when finished.

MiniCoco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my humble opinion whether or not you employ a minimalist approach to reefing in regard to how much rock, substrate, corals or even numbers of occupants all have their pros and cons. Having little to no substrate affords a pathway to a healthy tank with less maintenance issues over the long haul. Having less rock and corals allows for the colonies to fully develop and water circulation is less hampered. Having more rock that is aquascaped with the occupants in mind reduces stress and allows for cohabitation of more species and increases the tanks filtration and biome. The negatives could be just as varied as the aforementioned but let us just agree that at the end of the day it comes down to what appeals to you as the reef keeper. I prefer the well aquascaped version where flow, lighting, native environmental ques and space to grow, play and exercise are considered. In any event, good luck and happy reefing everybody!

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a person who believes that "aesthetics" are only a minor consideration when aquascaping. Corals need lots of rock to encrust over, and fish need it for structure. I think that most of our fish would be happiest if we filled the tank with pea gravel, all the way to the rim. That's an exaggeration, but fish do need their hiding spots. The old "rock wall", so often dreaded and derided by new hobbyists and "photoshoot reefers", actually provides very good habitat for fish and corals alike. I have a "two islands" aquascape, which I think is good for meeting in the middle.

This is a picture of a wild shallow reef. (Not my picture, photo credit goes to NOAA.)

1684798465028.png

See what I see? I see large coral colonies growing over what is essentially a big pile of aragonite. Granted, it'd be impossible to replicate this in anything less than 2,000 gallons, but this is what a reef looks like when allowed to grow out for millennia. Look at those fish! I see about 5-6 species, and those are just ones that can be seen from a distance. Many more will be hiding in the crevices between coral heads and boulders.

And now let's look at what minimalist aquascapes most often are trying to imitate. (Credit again to NOAA)

1684798883790.png

Lots of "NSA" aquascapes try to copy the look of a branching acropora, so I'll call this "branching minimalist". I won't deny it, this looks pretty cool. However, I see only one or two species of chromis. If the intent was to mimic nature, then people with "branching minimalist" aquascapes would stick to this. Maybe adding some blennies and hawkfish to diversify things. And yet, time and time again I see tangs, clownfish, gobies, and everything in between thrown into setups like this. That can't be very good for the fish, it simply isn't their natural habitat. Like putting a whitetail deer out on the prairie with no woods in site. Just because the prairie dogs are happy doesn't mean the deer is.

Again, I will draw attention to the concept of islands. I went snorkeling recently in only about 4-8 feet of water in the Caribbean, and this is about what I saw... (Not my picture.)

1684799321079.png

I'll call this "island minimalism". I think that this is the perfect intermediary. Provides habitat? Check. Looks good? Check. Allows for strong flow? Check. Can be replicated in a small tank? Check. This sort of 'scape provides the best of both worlds. Around these little islands, or "bommies" as they'd say in Australia, I saw all sorts of fish. Chromis, tangs, gobies, damsels, parrotfish, wrasses, you name it, it was there. Like putting the same deer from our earlier analogy in a meadow in the woods. The deer has its cover and the prairie dogs have their open space. I'd also like to draw attention to the softies, LPS, and SPS all thriving within 2 square feet, something not often seen in our tanks. This, in my opinion, is peak aquascaping. Consideration for aesthetics, coral, and the well-being of fish all in one.

Basically? I'd like to be able to differentiate between the two types of minimalism which I see. One is good for fish, looks, and lots of different coral, and the other is mainly good for looks and acropora. Of course, this is all in my opinion. Aquascape however you like. Nothing wrong with any style, but you will need to make more considerations as you specialize.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see, my reef is not a minimalist aquascape. I do appreciate and enjoy looking at them however. For me and my reef, I want as natural look as I can attain. I have a lot of animals and I love watching them navigate through all the macroalgae and coral.
IMG_20230522_144942736.jpg

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been drawn to "Volcano" shapes. I have a cube and it takes restraint not to build a volcano. I feel like I am old school when I say that my favorite rockwork is the complete wall of rock. Nothing but a wall of rock. Corals here and there. LUV! Then ask yourself if that is minimalist because the sand is open.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back