Aqua artistry: Do you prefer a minimalist aquascape?

Do you prefer minimalist aquascaping?

• I strongly prefer minimalist aquascaping.

Votes: 51 14.4%
  • I think minimalist aquascaping is one of the good options.

Votes: 96 27.1%
  • I don’t have a preference for or against minimalist aquascaping.

Votes: 100 28.2%
  • I don’t prefer minimalist aquascaping.

Votes: 91 25.7%
  • What is minimalist aquascaping again?

Votes: 16 4.5%

• Total voters

WallaceGrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the old fashioned "wall of rocks" on the back of the tank. It's surely a detritus trap but something about it is... pleasing. It reminds me of the Dutch-style planted tanks!

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When It comes to aquascaping their is no real wrong way unless a fish etc. needs are different from your scape. I am a maximas per say.
P1010102.JPG
right half
left side acro garden.JPG

left half
A mixed reef. 75g.

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about these neat NSAs? They're not really minimalist, but they do incorporate alot of open space. At the same time, they provide a good number of overhangs and cave-like structures for the fish.
I have been trying to figure this out for my new 220 build. BRS and Tidal gardens both have good videos on NSA.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tanks that are full of rock. Yes my Tang, and clowns do like the cover. My question Is it necessary? I don't know As to coral it is difficult to have spaces exposed to get the proper Par. As to fish I prefer a tank with less big fish, as overstocking is something I have learned to avoid. It promotes disease, and stress ( aggression ) just like cities as apposed to rural. I am planning to start a third tank minimalist. I like the free floating effect type coral. My main concern is to be able to find small schooling fish. The beauty of this is that if I want to I can always slowly add to the display, as opposed to guessing the final result/ impact. To add to that I epoxied the rock in my second tank. To me that was a huge mistake concerning maintenance, and algae control. If I can keep the coral off the rock it works much better since I am Not a Chemical treatment person.

Terrp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a fish guy, so I prefer a balance of white space and habitat space.

Many NSA tanks don’t provide enough hiding and sleeping space for as much fish as I like.

Many tanks that are wall-to-wall rocks and coral don’t provide enough open areas for the fish to stretch their fins or enough swim-through openings for the fish to interact with the aquascape. Many of them also use large rocks for the scape, which takes up a lot of room but doesn’t actually provide as much sleeping habitat as multiple smaller rocks with gaps between them.

So, I prefer tanks that appear to achieve a reasonable balance by consolidating white space into areas around and between condensed aquascape areas that are made with plenty of gaps for fish to sleep and hide along with a swim-through passage or two.

If the tank is also dual-sided (in-wall or peninsula), that’s even better, because (1) the see-through back allows a much cleaner look as background for both the condensed and white space areas, (2) you can have full-length swim lanes on both sides of the aquascape (and on the interior if the tank is wide enough) and (3) fish can more easily get away from rivals without having to hide in the rockwork.

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aqua artistry: Do you prefer a minimalist aquascape?

Minimalist aquascape or densely populated reef – there are many approaches to a developing a beautiful saltwater aquarium. There is not one right way, the aquascaping trends have changed over time, and we all have different preferences. For the minimalist approach there is a tradeoff between having a clean look which allows for easier separation of corals that may not get along and fewer mounting points. In contrast, a denser reef may have more hiding places and more places to put corals, however overcrowding can become an issue. Tell us about your viewpoint on aquascaping in the following thread – do you prefer a minimalist aquascape?

Pro Tip: Minimalist design often implements limited colors groups and simple forms with a emphasis on white space. In a reef tank, white space can be described as the empty spaces around the aquascaping. Sometimes in a minimalist aquascape it is as much about what isn't there and using the separation of elements and open water as a design element.

SunnyX_Minimalist.png

Photo by @SunnyX

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png

"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities" -Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
@SunnyX has posted an updated version of his tank - and it's now beautifully 'full' of corals. So - often starting with a minimalist tank - will soon (if you're doing things correctly) be full of coral. (hopefully)

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking that if I frag off all of the corals that I have on "islands" and mount them to my scape this might qualify as minimalist. There are three branching sections that only reach up to about half the height of the tank . Looking at the photo, I'm visually not happy with the way it looks. The waterbox sump is so crammed for space, I need to half the refugium and use that for more live rock so that I can transfer it from the display.
scape.JPG

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, After a year, the tank is not so minimalist anymore!

Gorgeous system. Very clear water. Are you running carbon/UV? My system is posted above and it's obvious what I need to do - remove the islands.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Packed with rocks and corals lol. I appreciate the minimalist look alot. I have seen some amazing scapes and home reefs designed that way. But for me not so much. I do appreciate the tongue and groove look of a natural reef, so if that is incorporated into a scape I am happy.

IMG_20230625_194746.jpg
IMG_20221225_161043.jpg IMG_20230611_142332.jpg

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous system. Very clear water. Are you running carbon/UV? My system is posted above and it's obvious what I need to do - remove the islands.

Hello and thank you.

My system is carbon dosed, and these systems tend to have clearer water. I also dose a DIY coral snow mixture weekly that really helps with the clarity.

I do not run UV but do use a cup of carbon, replaced each month.

-Sonny

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done a lot of different aquascapes in the past but have always like the minimalist "bonsai" look. I am working on my current 120 build and going for that look.
20230518_191939.jpg

20230520_143448.jpg
Sick scape dude! Did u purchase that rock or was that a diy project?

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I got:

IMG_20230527_233057.jpg

IMG_20230527_233104.jpg

apparently it started some discussion (very good!). I have many years of competing in ADA competitions under my belt I trying to use that experience over :)

The thread is here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/any-thoughts-on-my-hardscape-build.987685/

It is virtually impossible to show the deep on the photos...
For what it’s worth I feel the pictures did the scape justice! I really like that setup dude. I just asked the other person right before u but I wanted to ask u if u purchased that dry rock or did u make that ur self? It’s been a min since I purchased dry rock so I’m just trying to keep myself up to eat because I’m really diggin the rock that y’all chose for the scapes!

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth I feel the pictures did the scape justice! I really like that setup dude. I just asked the other person right before u but I wanted to ask u if u purchased that dry rock or did u make that ur self? It’s been a min since I purchased dry rock so I’m just trying to keep myself up to eat because I’m really diggin the rock that y’all chose for the scapes!

Thank you!

The rockwork originally was only a rubble from the LFS. Then hammer time!

After you have your concept, make it happen :) I used super glue and dust from rockwork method. Checked what the creatures would need, how to hide bits and pieces and how will that look in two years from now. Using a frame for arranging the weight of the composition is always a plus.

And here we are some time later! Fun.

PS. I was even thinking about starting a side hussle making those for others. If you need help, ping me :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back