Aqua scaping suggestions

rsach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got done curing the rock. What do you guys think about these two aqua scapes. The tank is 23" high, should I go higher? Planning to do mainly reef.

IMG_20200530_202358.jpg IMG_20200529_192737.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First option is a bit small and low...

Also, it looks like you have put your rocks on top of your sand...not a good idea. Make sure those rocks are under the sand directly on the tank bottom. Sand under rocks shifts, especially with any sand creatures in the tank...and then the rock work falls.

Gokulnath Kanagaraj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high you want the aquascape depends on the type of corals that you want to have. If you keep any corals that grow tall, then about 50 % of the tank height should be good since it gives room for coral growth. Otherwise you might end up fragging the coral to reduce its height. The first one looks good imo, but needs a bit more height. And like mentioned in the previous reply, make sure to have the rocks on the glass and then cover with sand. Also looks like you are using some Pukani rocks as well. Very good rocks and highly porous, good for biological filtration. Just make sure to keep and eye out for your phosphates in the early stages.

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you have placed your aquascape, have you consider the placement of the powerheads? If so, you may want to twist one side slightly forward, it will not look so linear and man made and give more flow on the back

OP
OP
R

rsach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you have placed your aquascape, have you consider the placement of the powerheads? If so, you may want to twist one side slightly forward, it will not look so linear and man made and give more flow on the back
By twisting it forward, do you mean I should adjust the angle by moving it slightly up or should I extend it? Thanks

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example, move the left side forward so that the overall structure would be slightly angled looking front to back.

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the powerheads are oscillating, in my opinion changing the angle of the aquascape slightly would look better to the eyes and the powerhead placement would not be as important and relevant.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back