AquaBiome: Can Reefers Benefit from an ‘ICP Test’ for Bacteria?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaBiome is a new company that is offering a novel kind of water test for our reef aquariums, one that gives some practical measurement and analysis of the microbiology of our captive reef ecosystems. Just like ICP opened the door to understanding water chemistry beyond the mineral and organic constituents, the AquaBiome water test uses […]
Source

Continue reading...

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaBiome is a new company that is offering a novel kind of water test for our reef aquariums, one that gives some practical measurement and analysis of the microbiology of our captive reef ecosystems. Just like ICP opened the door to understanding water chemistry beyond the mineral and organic constituents, the AquaBiome water test uses […]
Source

Continue reading...
Thanks for great writeup, Jake!

I'm happy to answer any questions about the service. And for anyone interested in aquarium microbiomes, stay tuned as later today I'll be posting a description of the microbiome of the main culture system at BattleCorals....

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for great writeup, Jake!

I'm happy to answer any questions about the service. And for anyone interested in aquarium microbiomes, stay tuned as later today I'll be posting a description of the microbiome of the main culture system at BattleCorals....

Can’t wait! Following...

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get you data regarding "proper" or "typical range" biome?

What is your sample size, and how was the sample selected?

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's a link to his initial study:

His database has a lot more tanks now, probably 100+ different systems.

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Important question.

I try to phrase it in terms of the typical range more than the "proper" or "ideal" community. Basically its the set of hobbyist or professionally run aquariums that I have tested so far, excluding only a few specifically flagged by the owners as unhealthy.

We can objectively say "your tank is within the typical range" (or not) for any group of microbes, or various statistics about the community (e.g. diversity). Evaluating whether those levels are "proper" or "ideal" remain a matter for further study.

I've been able to sample 20 - 30 tanks (in addition to my own 16 systems) in each batch and the results from the 3rd batch will be ready soon (perhaps the end of this week). There are still lots of test kits "out in the wild" remaining to be tested, so the database is growing monthly. I will be adding a link to the website soon describing the most recently updated stats for the database.

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sold4jc7, I've tested one product for cycling a new tank, but havent written it up yet. (By far, I recommend good live rock rather than bottled bacteria, based on that experiment, but readers can decide for themselves when they see it).

I'm about to start an experiment testing 3 different products that claim to improve the microbial community in existing tanks. I should have results from that one in a month or so.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think he sent the latest batch off about a week ago, so if your samples were in that batch you should get data soon.

Thanks - my samples aren't being processed the same way - so he has to email me the results. I didnt register them on the site.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
Id just like to briefly mention here that the AquaBiomics microbiome analysis is now also available in europe via oceamo.

Best wishes,
Christoph

Reef Quest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
We'd just like to briefly mention also here that the AquaBiomics microbiome analysis is now also available in the UK via Reef Quest and all good UK stores.

Back