Aquabus 50ft

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a aquabus 50ft cable but my expansion is exactly 55 feet away.... I am wondering if I can connect a regular usb 2.0 A Female to male at the end of the 50ft cable to give me 56 ft?

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aquabus cable is just a standard USB cable.... so yes, you can simply buy a longer USB cable or extend it.

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aquabus cable is just a standard USB cable.... so yes, you can simply buy a longer USB cable or extend it.

This is true... however, you don't want to buy anything longer than 15ft because it will have a repeater and that will damage the Apex. The repeater is there to boost the signal which is fine on computers.

Hello, I have a aquabus 50ft cable but my expansion is exactly 55 feet away.... I am wondering if I can connect a regular usb 2.0 A Female to male at the end of the 50ft cable to give me 56 ft?

In your case, yes buying a 10ft USB cable should be fine.

I believe Neptune sells up to 30ft aquabus cables, for anyone needing a longer one look here, these guys make USB/Aquabus cables designed for the Apex without the repeater.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/apex.html

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true... however, you don't want to buy anything longer than 15ft because it will have a repeater and that will damage the Apex. The repeater is there to boost the signal which is fine on computers.

I believe Neptune sells up to 30ft aquabus cables, for anyone needing a longer one look here, these guys make USB/Aquabus cables designed for the Apex without the repeater.

Oooh, good call.... I totally forgot that virtually every long USB cable out there will have the active repeater. We use special long non-active ones and long non-active extensions for work... we make them ourselves. Completely forgot that it's not the norm.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U should not use USB cable to extend.. Apex says that is a no no... I have 2 30 feet aquabus cables and they sell the connectors that will connect the two of them... Worked perfectly for me...

OP
OP
rock_lobster

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U should not use USB cable to extend.. Apex says that is a no no... I have 2 30 feet aquabus cables and they sell the connectors that will connect the two of them... Worked perfectly for me...

That sucks so I need to buy 2 new 30ft aquabus cables and scrap the 50ft cable?

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks so I need to buy 2 new 30ft aquabus cables and scrap the 50ft cable?
No.. Use your 50 foot aquabus cable and like a 10 foot aquabus cable.. With the connectors they say... I gave u my example.. Sorry.. I think it's male to male.. I bought that stuff at championlighting.com.... I know they say don't use USB even though it looks like a USB cable...

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this thread is dead but this would be your best bet. Anyone looking for longer Apex cables can get them from the link posted, special made Apex controller USB cables in lengths up to 125ft.
THIS

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i KNOW THIS IS AN OLD THREAD BUT I HAVE A QUESTION - Reefer525XL?
I was planning on running my DOS in the Garage which will be around 45 ft away from my controller!
What issues will I have if I go with a 50ft AQUABUS CABLE FROM USBFIREWIRE?

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 8.06.54 AM.png

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i KNOW THIS IS AN OLD THREAD BUT I HAVE A QUESTION - Reefer525XL?
I was planning on running my DOS in the Garage which will be around 45 ft away from my controller!
What issues will I have if I go with a 50ft AQUABUS CABLE FROM USBFIREWIRE?

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 8.06.54 AM.png

You won’t have any issues as long as you don’t exceed 200’ total length for the system. I would recommend a powered module on both ends though. I run a remote RODI unit using 60’ of cable coming from my EB832 to another EB4 in my laundry room controlling my RODI set up.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made plenty, if you wanna do it on the cheap, but some cat5/6 Ethernet cable at whatever length you want, cut the ends off, buy some usb ends and install them.

Example...these two items will make a 100’ cable for less than $30

Mediabridge Ethernet Cable (100 Feet) - Supports Cat6 / Cat5e / Cat5 Standards, 550MHz, 10Gbps - RJ45 Computer Networking Cord (Part# 31-399-100X)

Jienk USB 2.0 Type A Male to 4 Pin Screw Terminal Block Connector, Portable Pluggable Type Adapter Connector Converter 300V 8A(2 Pack)

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t have any issues as long as you don’t exceed 200’ total length for the system. I would recommend a powered module on both ends though. I run a remote RODI unit using 60’ of cable coming from my EB832 to another EB4 in my laundry room controlling my RODI set up.
I think I am going to just run 1 my 50FT APEX Aquabus cable from my DOS to my my apex eb832!
I have a saltwater mixing station and the DOS is getting mounted above my station.
The EB4 would be a good addition as well..

Saltwater Mixing Station .png I think

Last edited:

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to just run 1 my 50FT APEX Aquabus cable from my DOS to my my apex eb832!
I have a saltwater mixing station and the DOS is getting mounted above my station.
The EB4 would be a good addition as well..

Saltwater Mixing Station .png I think

I went years without the EB4 and just used a powered FMM but they seemed to “burn up” after a year or so. Hoping the 120v power module will help to prevent any voltage issues plus it lets me better control my booster pump

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back