Aquachristik's Red Sea Reefer 170

T00LFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump lighting installed! Auto on with the door pressure switch works flawlessly.

PXL_20210310_032508763.jpg
What light did you use in the sump? Really like the switch as opposed to motion.

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed the VCA Red Sea Reefer Ultimate Return Line Upgrade Kit (Dual Random Flow Generators). Didn't like the long length of the original kit so I removed 1 loc-line, hopefully it doesn't suck any air in with the reduced length.

Hopefully it works as well as it did in the Evo!

PXL_20210303_020550420.jpg
I like the idea of removing a loc line, they stick out pretty far in my 170, not to mention block the light. How has it worked for you?

OP
OP
Aquachristik

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update!

Doser in. Dosing Brightwell Reef Code A & B and Aminos.
Cables all organized.
Went with a different grow light. The previous white UFO one ran way too hot. This one runs much cooler and fits nicely.

More updates and details coming soon!

IMG_20210607_211213.jpg

OP
OP
Aquachristik

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while, so here's an update on what has been going on.

The big thing I dealt with was high Tin and trace amounts of copper in my water. Found out through a Triton test that Tin was causing my corals to die. Turns out it was some rust in the carbon I was using (Deep Blue brand, threw that crap away ASAP) and rusted screws on the Hygger pump I was using for water changes. Got some Brightwell Purit to remove the metals and removed the screws from the pump (hot glued that thing together lol).

Since that fiasco, the remaining inhabitants seem to be showing some signs of a bounce-back (hallelujah).

Main post updated with current equipment being used. If I forget something I'll be sure to post again.

OP
OP
Aquachristik

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cabinet/sump update.

Amazon grow light is growing chaeto and Sea lettuce like crazy. Added a small pump in the sump to direct more water towards the Fuge rather than bypassing it.

Replaced the InkBird with the WiFi version. It's already paid for itself with high temp alarms. Here in South Florida it's been hot lately. Installed the AC Infinity fan on the ceiling of the cabinet to blow hotter air towards the back opening of the cabinet.

Replaced the incredibly rigid tubing that came with the BRS reactor with some silicone tubing. Helped a bunch with the noise created from the rattling Sicce pump.

Added some shelving to the door of the cabinet that fits nicely when the door is closed.

Needed an outlet for the sump circulation pump so had to convert the cabinet lighting to USB. Luckily its some easy electrical wiring work with a 5V to 12V upconverter from Amazon.

Hopefully getting into a rhythm now that the tin issue is being addressed. Hope to be buying some corals soon.

IMG_20210802_135031-01.jpeg
IMG_20210802_135103-01.jpeg

OP
OP
Aquachristik

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light did you use in the sump? Really like the switch as opposed to motion.
The cabinet lighting is an LED strip from Amazon coupled with a door pressure switch. Some quick electrical work to install the switch on the negative wire and you have automatic lighting for the sump.

Let me know if you need links to the products I used.

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Took a bit of work to get it all the way I want it. The limited space is not forgiving and I don't want to have anything outside the tank. Even as happy as I am with it now I still have ideas on how to improve it o_O lol
I had a Reefer 170 until my recent move. My setup was very tidy, but not as refined as yours. Well done.

OP
OP
Aquachristik

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realized I havent posted about the livestock!

Blood Red Fire Shrimp & Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

IMG_20210731_190159.jpg

Linear Blenny

IMG_20210731_190119.jpg

Ruby Red Dragonet (Female)

IMG_20210731_190026-01.jpeg

There's also a Pistol Shrimp in there that I hear all day but see very rarely lol. Gotta find him a watchman or yasha goby to play with.

There's also a green bubble tip anemone I'm there.

I'll try to snap a pic of the black and white clown and 6 line wrasse.

Attachments

• IMG_20210731_190026.jpg
    IMG_20210731_190026.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Aquachristik

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your set up is nice! Any update? Im looking to get a 170 myself. what do you make of the sump space?
Thanks! I'll provide a more in depth update tomorrow, but I got marine velvet on a Royal Gramma I bought from a fish store that I will not be visiting any longer. Killed 3 of my fish and only left me 2. Clown is currently in the quarantine tank doing well and 6 line wrasse never got it and is still in the display (impossible to catch).

I will say I like the sump setup, gives enoufh space for a skimmer and refugium. Not a fan of the metric piping and nonstandard 4 inch filter socks, but minor gripe. I'm really happy with the tank. Looking at the Waterbox of equal size I feel like the sump is better on the Red Sea, primarily because the ATO reservoir is external.

I also started kalk last week, doing well so far. Dosing 4 ml a day of saturated kalk along with Acro Power for aminos.

Since treating for the tin issue the tank has been doing really well (except for the velvet).

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll provide a more in depth update tomorrow, but I got marine velvet on a Royal Gramma I bought from a fish store that I will not be visiting any longer. Killed 3 of my fish and only left me 2. Clown is currently in the quarantine tank doing well and 6 line wrasse never got it and is still in the display (impossible to catch).

I will say I like the sump setup, gives enoufh space for a skimmer and refugium. Not a fan of the metric piping and nonstandard 4 inch filter socks, but minor gripe. I'm really happy with the tank. Looking at the Waterbox of equal size I feel like the sump is better on the Red Sea, primarily because the ATO reservoir is external.

I also started kalk last week, doing well so far. Dosing 4 ml a day of saturated kalk along with Acro Power for aminos.

Since treating for the tin issue the tank has been doing really well (except for the velvet).
4 ml a day? That’s really really low! Not saying its wrong but If you have something like 35 gallons of water that’s adding 0.004dKH per day. I’m just starting kalk and adding 200 ml to 20 gallons and I don’t have any corals, I think Coraline is consuming some and I’m probably just precipitating some dKH so probably not right either. I’m trying to find the right amount to keep dKH constant, work in progress.
Starting slow is an excellent idea, so don’t take my comment as criticism, it just made me go double check my math to be sure I wasn’t doing something crazy.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back