Aquaculture vats/troughs/tanks? - Ohio

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to locate some long, wide, and shallow aquaculture tanks/troughs/vats. Prefer at least 6 foot long by 3 foot wide, no more than 18" tall. Probably looking for at least two if not three depending on price.

If anyone knows where I can get some around Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Kentucky, or even Pennsylvania (western half) I'd like to know.

I was going to do acrylic but man, waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for the people in my area. I contact one additional person to see what their cost would be.

Anyone ever use one of these fiberglass tanks before? Pretty good results? Wouldn't mind finding some like they have out on 104th in Cali but those are just too darn big. Wouldn't fit through the door.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used livestock feed tubs with no issues. The 50 gallon tubs are somewhere between 3-4" and close to 2' wide. Not as big as you mentioned but durable and shallow depth. Most farm supply stores should have them

OP
OP
B

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aquatic ecosystems has 8'x2'x1' fiberglass troughs I believe.

You can always use wood and epoxy if you have carpentry skils.
http://poconocoralfarm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=28

I heard with those troughs from Aquatic Ecosystems still need a lot of bracing and the like. I was looking for ones I don't have to worry about blowing out.

Yes, I did look into using epoxy wooden vats. But the cost was pretty high and a bit more than I wanted. Building them is no problem at all. I tend to severely overbuild stands anyways. You should see my 40g breeder stand, stupid thing takes 2 guys to carry it.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0003.jpg

The trough on the left is 10'x 2'x 18" only thing is they have a rounded bottom to them. I got the one I use at farm and fleet in Kankakee, IL and it is $279.99 been using it for over a year without any issues. I put eggcrate in it and that sits about 12" below the water. Gives me plenty of room for frags.

Alti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard with those troughs from Aquatic Ecosystems still need a lot of bracing and the like. I was looking for ones I don't have to worry about blowing out.

Yes, I did look into using epoxy wooden vats. But the cost was pretty high and a bit more than I wanted. Building them is no problem at all. I tend to severely overbuild stands anyways. You should see my 40g breeder stand, stupid thing takes 2 guys to carry it.

Yes, they do need some support. They are meant to have a frame built around them.

I find that building your own is better. You can custome build it to fit your room properly and to maximize light distribution. Have you considered pond liner? We built a 24'x6' tank in a matter of days. It was the most cost efficient tank we've done so far. Theres a couple pics on this page. Theres a more detailed build thread on Calfo's forum on MD.
http://poconocoralfarm.com/our-facility/where-it-all-started

OP
OP
B

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done the pond liner thing and had nothing but problems with the tank. Algae issues, zoanthids wouldn't live, etc. I switched to those Tuff Tubs and everything is doing fine. Same rock, sand, light, flow, etc. Only the liner changed. Maybe I had a "bad" one? I'm not sure.

Really the room isn't much of an issue. I'd still love to do those vats but afraid of building the bracing wrong and having a blow out.

Roshi I will look into one of those. Look like T5's might be they way to go there. Look promising.

I did pick up two BIG sumps for Clarity Systems this week for basically $10 for both. So I might consider those. Pretty good size. I'll cut the dividers out and reinforce the rest of it. No big deal there.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions! It's why I come here. :bigsmile:

Robert Deanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used many Aquatic troughs and never used any bracing just a table to sit own, not a reg table, something you build. We use them for research in oysters, corals and many other salt life that our university studies, Aquatic though is shutting the doors , Pentair is closing out the Aquatic end and only doing pools and pool pumps, this happens at the end of the month...June 2019 !

Robert Deanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used many Aquatic troughs and never used any bracing just a table to sit own, not a reg table, something you build. We use them for research in oysters, corals and many other salt life that our university studies, Aquatic though is shutting the doors , Pentair is closing out the Aquatic end and only doing pools and pool pumps, this happens at the end of the month...June 2019 !

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back