Aquacultured Fish direct from Biota and ProAquatix - Do I need to QT Opinion?

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the fish in the bags direct from these suppliers, do you still need to QT? I am back in after taking over a year off letting my tank fallow. I got either a brook or velvet outbreak that nuked my display after i completed my fish stocking and my final round of QT for every fish. I was originally doing a 45 day qt with copper then general cure if i remember correctly. Somehow i got brook or velvet, maybe from water that had coral or maybe the infection slipped through. Well i am back and dont really want to do qt again and prefer to buy my fish qt'd from a reputable supplier direct. That being said is Biota and ProAquatix direct, okay to not qt? Thank you for your opinions. I maybe just deceiving myself and need to spin up my qt for Jays posted 60 dat qt protocol.
Thanks,
Zag

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you can get the fish in the bags direct from these suppliers, do you still need to QT? I am back in after taking over a year off letting my tank fallow. I got either a brook or velvet outbreak that nuked my display after i completed my fish stocking and my final round of QT for every fish. I was originally doing a 45 day qt with copper then general cure if i remember correctly. Somehow i got brook or velvet, maybe from water that had coral or maybe the infection slipped through. Well i am back and dont really want to do qt again and prefer to buy my fish qt'd from a reputable supplier direct. That being said is Biota and ProAquatix direct, okay to not qt? Thank you for your opinions. I maybe just deceiving myself and need to spin up my qt for Jays posted 60 dat qt protocol.
Thanks,
Zag
Quarantine, Yes. Despite being quarantined, the shipping process offers new stressors from shipping and easiest to say " Assume all fish have something foreign". Quarantined is an added plus , but not immunity.
There have been a small number of fish the last few months with disease from a known source (cant say name) which supports, disease can still happen.

OP
OP
Zagreus

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine, Yes. Despite being quarantined, the shipping process offers new stressors from shipping and easiest to say " Assume all fish have something foreign". Quarantined is an added plus , but not immunity.
There have been a small number of fish the last few months with disease from a known source (cant say name) which supports, disease can still happen.
thank you, nothing good comes easy. Need to spin up my qt system again. Thank you, Zag

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantine everything, even fish from other public aquariums. That said, we know most people don’t quarantine. For them, buying fish directly from a breeder is a better choice than from their LFS that mixes fish from a bunch of different regions over a long period- lots of chances for many different diseases to get cooking in there.

Jay

OP
OP
Zagreus

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantine everything, even fish from other public aquariums. That said, we know most people don’t quarantine. For them, buying fish directly from a breeder is a better choice than from their LFS that mixes fish from a bunch of different regions over a long period- lots of chances for many different diseases to get cooking in there.

Jay
Thank you both. Jay I read your Qt procedure. I think before you originally posted it I was doing humblefish prootcal. But somehow I got brook or velvet slipped through mhy qt, more likely brook and nuked my DT. What step would you add to your qt protocal to address Brook? I see someone posted adding a FORMALIN dip but I am unclear as to the details as to when and how to add this step to your protocol.
Thank you,
Zag

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both. Jay I read your Qt procedure. I think before you originally posted it I was doing humblefish prootcal. But somehow I got brook or velvet slipped through mhy qt, more likely brook and nuked my DT. What step would you add to your qt protocal to address Brook? I see someone posted adding a FORMALIN dip but I am unclear as to the details as to when and how to add this step to your protocol.
Thank you,
Zag
Our protocol does not control Brooklynella. Formalin is tough for many people to get, so we opted not to incorporate that. Formalin is also very toxic, many people will not have it in their homes (it out gases from your tank into the air).
Brook is fairly rare, if you are getting wild clownfish it is a bigger issue.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back