Aquaforest Component 1+2+3+ vs Fauna Marin Balling Light?

tang_man_montreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm considering these two options for my tank.

AquaForest Component 1+2+3+
and
Fauna Marin Balling Light

My tank is young, and I'm maintaining alk and CA manually on a daily basis.

Currently my parameters:
CA is 420, consuming about 1-2ppm daily
dKH is 8, consuming about .2 daily
Mg is constant at 1320
Nitrate and Phosphate are undetectable
pH is pretty steady at about 8.1
Temp is pretty steady at 78

Running a refugium with Chaeto on reverse daylight cycle.
Using Fauna Marin Bacto balls and Bacto blend on recommended schedule.

I have picked up some dosers already, and want to jump into the dosing game.

Also considering AcroPower to get some nutrients back into my system as well.

Are there any reasons I should pick one of the above over the other?
I'd rather not switch systems once started... so I'd like to hear from those who have tried either or both, and long term stories as well.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both accomplish the same basic thing (alk/calcium/magnesium) plus some unidentified secret ingredients (trace elements).

Is one better than the other? I think that would be pretty hard to prove for a general statement of fact, as well as whether either one is better than similar products without the secret ingredients.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Component 1-2-3 for 6 years now and love it. I get good growth and with daily dosing my parameters stay pretty much where I want them.

Attachments

• IMG_20201122_1254192.jpg
    IMG_20201122_1254192.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 152
OP
OP
tang_man_montreal

tang_man_montreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, today I picked up and am going to try out the Component 1-2-3 since it was readily available, and conveniently pre-mixed. Will confirm my consumption over the next two days and set it up over the week-end...

Trying out this 3 part dosing for the first time... I had a CA reactor and kalk reactor back in the day 15 years ago on my 180gal display / 400gal total system.

nonickname

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, today I picked up and am going to try out the Component 1-2-3 since it was readily available, and conveniently pre-mixed. Will confirm my consumption over the next two days and set it up over the week-end...

Trying out this 3 part dosing for the first time... I had a CA reactor and kalk reactor back in the day 15 years ago on my 180gal display / 400gal total system.
How is your experience with 1+, 2+, 3+? I am planning to start use them, my KH is started to drop from 8,4 to 7, but CA - 450, MG is about 1500, so i am wondering, mybe better is, just to rise KH for example with soda?
Any opinions for best solution?
Thanks!

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 6 months now, I have been using the Aquaforest minerals and also adding Magnesium to the mineral mix as instructed by Aquaforest. I already dose Alkalinity and Calcium using Randys two part mix and dose the Aquaforest minerals at the same dosage which for me is, 23ml per day on my 180 litre reef. I would say I am seeing some more growth but that is very subjective. One thing I benefited from is not having to dose Magnesium manually as this method keeps my magnesium stable but I guess I could have achieved the same result just dosing Magnesium!
The logic to this form of dosing makes sense to me and I feel it is the right thing to do so I dont get a chemical imbalance but I am not a chemist so will leave giving the real answer to that for those far more knowledgeable than I.

OP
OP
tang_man_montreal

tang_man_montreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your experience with 1+, 2+, 3+? I am planning to start use them, my KH is started to drop from 8,4 to 7, but CA - 450, MG is about 1500, so i am wondering, mybe better is, just to rise KH for example with soda?
Any opinions for best solution?
Thanks!
I have not yet started dosing... I'm monitoring my consumption rate first to be sure of the amount to dose before I start. I should have a clear picture today or tomorrow and will start then.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back