Aquaforest Guide

Discussion in 'Aquaforest' started by Aquaforest, Jan 13, 2016.

1. VJV

VJV Well-Known Member

Thanks. I now they include minor trace and that is why I'm afraid it might not be for me.... This is one of the reasons I decided to abandon Triton in my tank, which also requires equal dosing of the components because of the mixed trace elements. I ended up with Calcium above 500 and Mag close to 1500 to get Alk at the required 8dKH level. Of course, the concentration of the Aquaforest supplements may be different and the ratio closer to what my tank consumes. I may need to check it.

One question (General, not just for component 1+2+3+): dosage of AF products is based on Tank volume, or total System volume?

2. Aquaforest

Aquaforest Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Corals absorb elements from whole water so you can calculate for system volume.

Please, remember to dose Component 1+2+3+ according corals consumption of Ca, KH and Mg.
    In 100L or 100 US gal you can keep 1 coral or 100 corals and consumption will be different.

Here is video about Balling method:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    VJV likes this.
  3. VJV

VJV Well-Known Member

Nice Video. I have a couple of questions though:

1 - I recall reading in the past on your website that for 3 part you would one solution for KH, another where you would mix Calcium and Mag and another for Mineral salts. In this video you mix 4 different solutions. Is this the NEW method or just an alternative?

2 - Can the mixed powder solutions be dosed at different amounts or do they also need to be dosed in equal amounts like the component 1+2+3+?

Thanks!

4. Aquaforest

1. There are two different recipes you can use.

The older recipe called for the magnesium and calcium to be mixed together in component+1

The new recipe calls for mixing the magnesium into component +3 with reef mineral salt.

They both work equally well and it's a matter of personal preference.

2. Aquaforest components 1+2+3+ are designed to maintain levels not to adjust levels.

You need to get your system balanced out first. To do this you can mix the individual Aquaforest powders according to the directions to use them on an individual basis.

Once you have your calcium, Alkalinity and magnesium set then you will measure your Alkalinity drop over a 24 hour period.

This number is what you use to start your base dosing of the components 1,2,3 in equal amounts.

You may need to add additional Alkalinity or calcium for example for a short time to keep things balanced. You should continue to dose the components 1,2,3 in equal amounts.

You want to match your Alkalinity consumption with this dosing . So I will give you an example.

Day one :

You check your Alkalinity at 8 am and you get 7.4 dkh. You do not dose anything.

Day two: You check your Alkalinity at 8am again and you get 7.0dkh. So in 24 hours you used .4dkh of Alkalinity.

This is what you match to maintain the level. So let's say for your tank it take 40ml of component +2 to replenish .4dkh for you system.

So after you get your reading for day 2 , you dose just Alkalinity ( not component +2) to get it back up to 7.4dkh.

Then you set to dose 40ml of component +2

The next day you test at 8am and see your Alkalinity is 7.3dkh. So this tells you you need to dose just a little more component+2 to maintain 7.4dkh.

You dose back to 7.4dkh and set the doser to 45ml of component +2.

The next day at 8am you test and your Alkalinity is 7.4dkh. So now you have your setting. 45ml of component +2 meets your demand without raising or lowering. Now you set all your dosing to 45ml.

Components +1 45ml

Components +2 45ml

Components +3. 45ml

From time to time you may need to adjust them individually especially when you just start. To do this only use the individual elements.

So let's say your calcium is lowering quicker. Just bump up your calcium with just mixing calcium powder.

It will level out.

sever10, jsker, VJV and 1 other person like this.
  5. Joe252

Joe252 Member

I have been dosing the aquaforest 1+2+3 for a few months now as per updated video with magnesium in third solution instead of with the calcium,
    Pre aquaforest perrameters were
    1.025, ca2 440,kh 9 , mag 1380 to 1400, ph 8.1 also dosing iodine , strontium and trace elements.

Then i decided to convert everything to aquaforest equal dosing , quickly my magnesium hit 1500+ and Kh was slowly dropping off all while ca2 is holding perfect at the 440 range .
    I remixed the solution with magnesium at half the percentage of magnesium alone as to continue with equal dosing and plan to slowly bring it back in the future.

Now its been two months and ca2 is still at 440 while i now need to manually dose liquid kh to keep perrameters past 7 and my magnesium is at 1440 and very slowly droping .

Im told by my LFS that these perrameters will balance eventually and to continue with equal dosing , in time the tank will adjust to the product and i will dose equal parts in perfect balance.

Does this sound right?? Or am i going to be stuck equal dosing at a lesser volume to get the mag down and dose ca2 and kh sepearatly to keep them up . Really need your input because in years i have never had such swings in perrameters on a 500 gallon
    system. If i need to set up dosing let me know and il go back to what i know works , or im really missing a real magic part that no one other than my lfs is telling me.

6. rob safron

rob safron Well-Known Member

Finding myself in ththe same boat. Ca and Mg are on the higher side and struggling to keep Alk at 7.4 even with dosing extra 50 mls of BRS Alk solution per day for 5 Days now. Was steady for several week then all the sudden changed, Ca and Mg went way up and Alk dropped.

7. Aquaforest

I see that your parameters were different when you started your dosing. Can I ask what salt you are using? I'm sure we can help get you on the right path.

jsker likes this.
  8. Aquaforest

There are other things that can effect this also.

Example. You have your home closed up all summer because of the heat and you run your AC. Now the weather turns nice and you decide to open the windows and doors. You see a nice PH increase...... this will also increase your Alkalinity consumption. Your corals will be able to calcify easier because of the drop of Co2 in the water. This is why everyone always chases that 8.3 ph. When conditions are stable in your home , your tank will be stable.

Sometimes also the opposite can happen. Let's say you decide to go buy a bunch of new corals and you put them in your tank. I will also assure you that the other corals will go into a shut down mode for a couple of days. They are very sensitive to change and the new additions may cause them to slow consumption.

Lots of variables can effect how your tank reacts.

jsker likes this.
  9. rob safron

All makes sense. But what should be my move in this case? I have been adding BRS soda ash solution for 5 Days now (50-60 mls per day). It drives my pH up temp but really isn’t making a lasting impact on Alk. I have my AF solutions on dosing pumps and really don’t want to add soda ash on another pump. Or Should I leave it be and maybe it will all level out over time. I don’t want to up my 123 dose or it will just drive Ca and Mg and micro elements way too high.

10. Aquaforest

I cannot speak for another company's product.

Do you know what your daily Alkalinity consumption is?? Do you know how much Calcium and magnesium your using?

Are you using our ready made components 1,2,3, or did you make them yourself?

Have you watched our video on how to set up your dosing of components 1,2,3??

jsker likes this.
  11. rob safron

I am using the homemade recipe, 135 mls per day. My levels were right on for 6 weeks and suddenly mg, Ca went high and Alk dove to 7.3 last week. Yes weather has been hot/cold lately so some days windows open and other air on. I have place new coral last couple weeks but should drive Ca down also I would think. So all was going well until suddenly change. Was told to add Alk that did not have any micro elements which is the BRS stuff. Guess getting used up as fast as being added. Would consider up’ing the AF 123 instead but Ca is currently 480 and mg is 1500

jsker likes this.
  12. 120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper Reef keeping with Military Precision! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I would just continue dosing Alkalinity until things settle back in.

jsker likes this.
  13. rob safron

ok. So immediately after adding 50 mls over a couple hours my Alk my go up .5 and ph will go up .1-.15 within 4-5 hours Alk drops back. Should I up my dose per day or just keep that level?

jsker likes this.
  14. 120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper Reef keeping with Military Precision! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

If your loosing that much Alkalinity you definitely need to increase your dosing.... you need to catch it.

jsker likes this.
  15. rob safron

16. rob safron

120 just to confirm, I should up my dosage of plain Alk solution (brs soda ash) not my 123 dosage? My parameters this morning after not adding anything extra except 135 mls 123 are Alk 7.1 Ca 455 mg 1420.

jsker likes this.
  17. 120reefkeeper

Your not to far off being balanced really.

Question .... What is your Alkalinity of your water change fresh made water?

The reason I ask this question is that it's best to match your tanks Alkalinity level with the level of newly made saltwater.

For example if my fresh batch of newly made saltwater was 7.5 dkh then I'd keep my tank at the same level.

So with this example I would dose your 7.1dkh back up to 7.5dkh.

Yes just dose Alkalinity right now and let the calcium and magnesium drop down a little.

jsker likes this.
  18. rob safron

I use fritz salt, I think when I tested it was in the 8.5 mark. I have very low nutrient and only do a water change monthly.

jsker likes this.
  19. 120reefkeeper

Well that changes things a bit. I can't really comment on using another company's salt and trying to match that to another company's supplements.

I run ULNS and have zero issues getting things to match up because they are designed to run together. Aquaforest's salts run lower Alkalinity than that. From my experience they run about 7.0 to 7.5 dkh. When you have very low nutrients you have to be very careful with Alkalinity. Especially if you have Acros. You can get tip burn if you push the Alkalinity to high.

I'm not saying it's impossible to run a different salt , but I have zero experience with trying to mix and match all these different elements.

Different salt, different Alkalinity solutions, different base elements. In my honest opinion you'd be best to pick a method and stick to it.

I chose to go all Aquaforest for stability issues. Using one company's products designed to work together is always the most stable thing to do.

jsker likes this.
  20. rob safron

Yes. Trying to use up what I have. So you are running ULNS, what is your Alk target? I read 7-8 but 8 is better with measurement error. I use Hanna.

jsker likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted