Aquaforest new video for users! Mixing your own components +1,+2,+3

Discussion in 'Aquaforest' started by 120reefkeeper, Apr 20, 2017.

1. 120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper Reef keeping with Military Precision! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

Hey all you Aquaforest users!! :)

So let's get your input! So far we have a video that covers mixing your own components +1,+2,+3.

What would you like to see next?? I will make another video when we get a consensus on what the subject should be! Your input is valuable and nows your chance to speak up!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    kingston.buck and Anirban like this.
    Tags:
  2. 120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper Reef keeping with Military Precision! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

3. MrMichael

MrMichael Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Your video on making your own +1, +2, +3 seems like the most complicated topic and well deserving of a video.

Most of the products are self-explanatory but a few random thoughts a) preparing AF food b) properly using Phosphate Minus c) mixing zeolites, carbon, phosphate minus in the same reactor d) what an overdose of Pro Bio S might look like (film on glass) e) explaining the 'use sparingly' comment on AF Food (I'm guessing dense food w/high phosphates). 'Use Sparingly' and don't overdose seems to apply to almost everything, so interesting they called it out in the manual. f) demoing the new test kits

I'll guessing C is most helpful to community.

120reefkeeper likes this.
  4. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Partner Member

Nice job my friend! Thanks for taking the time!

5. DipSpit

DipSpit Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Article Contributor

Great video! Intersting to watch. I thought about converting to AF many times but ended up with FM instead.

'errrrahh

6. 120reefkeeper

Great ideas! I'm sure we can probably touch on some of these maybe even at the same time!

Thanks for the input! Greatly appreciated!

7. 120reefkeeper

Thanks Rev just helping where I can!

8. 120reefkeeper

Well it's never to late to switch

Thanks for the compliment!

9. 120reefkeeper

Nobody else?? We have some great suggestions so far!

chefjpaul likes this.
  10. radiata

radiata Well-Known Member NJRC Member

Anyone have a link to the components and quantities used in these DIY AF solutions?

11. 120reefkeeper

:)This is the base recipe for making a 1 liter batch of each component 1,2,3

[​IMG]

In the video above I demonstrate how to mix bigger batches of component 1,2,3 using the 5 liter jugs.

12. Slicktop

Slicktop Well-Known Member

I have been using the pre-mix solution for components 12&for over 6 months now and have just made my on new batch of all 3 components . My question, is the self made solution the same as the pre-mix? I followed the instructions exactly but curious if I really need to pay attention to make sure the self made mix is not stronger or weaker than the pre-mix. Anyone notice any changes in the parameters after switching to self mix 12&3?

13. Anirban

Anirban Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member

I think @jsker once told me that the self made are bit stronger than premix.

jsker and 120reefkeeper like this.
  14. 120reefkeeper

Yes the self made mix is stronger. You will need to watch it and dial it in.

Anirban and jsker like this.
  15. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

I use about 50% less then I did with the pre mix.

120reefkeeper and Anirban like this.
  16. 120reefkeeper

I'd say that's pretty close .

jsker likes this.
  17. radiata

radiata Well-Known Member NJRC Member

120reefkeeper - thanks for the recipe!

All - has anyone done a cost analysis on what a liter of the three solutions costs? There seems to be an MSRP on AF's products, so it shouldn't be too hard. When I look at $50 for just the Strong components that only make 10 liters of each, I wonder if that is cost effective. Perhaps it is, considering the DIY solutions are apparently twice as concentrated as the original product.

And, is there any one source where one can get all the ingredients from? Finally, do the ingredients come in larger sizes?

jsker and 120reefkeeper like this.
  18. 120reefkeeper

19. Slicktop

Slicktop Well-Known Member

I do not test the ingredients in Component 3, After adjusting dosing for Cal and Alk , reduce 3 to same the dosing schedule as 1 &2?

20. 120reefkeeper

Yes