AquaMaxx ConeS CO-3 in Sump Protein Skimmer with external pump died...help me pick a new pump-pretty pleeease!

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title suggests, my Aquamaxx Skimmer pump bit the dust today. I use a Marine Pure block as a shelf for the skimmer and pump. I have it tucked inside a large fine mesh media bag with a string tie to keep breakdown of the block to a minimum. It's been fine for about 3 years this way...until today. I accidentally turned my Marine Pure block in the wrong direction after maintenance in the sump.The string got sucked up in the pump and by the time I noticed it... Well, I need a new pump. Dumb mistake...I know!

The fried pump is a Syncra 3 skimmer pump with a needle wheel propeller and has a max flow rate of 714 gph listed on the side.

I have not had any luck searching for the same pump that came with the skimmer. Here are the best replacements I could come up with and I hope someone can help me pick the right one or point me in the direction for the best replacement for my skimmer. I plan to call Fantastic Reef and Marine Depot tomorrow...but I probably won't get anyone because it's Sunday. I don't want my skimmer to be off line any longer than it has to be, so ANY and ALL feedback would be most welcome.

1st option: Sicce PSK-1000 (800 max gph) Skimmer Pump (weird-other sites list it as 1000 gph)

2nd option: Sicce PSK-600 (661 max gph) Simmer Pump

3rd option: Shark 3.0 Replacement Protein Skimmer Needlewheel Pump-AquaMaxxx (same 714 max gph as fried pump)
https://www.marinedepot.com/replacement-shark-pump-for-aquamaxx-protein-skimmers

The last pump listed, the Shark 3.0, is from Marine Depot, same place where I purchased the skimmer about 3 years ago, so I'm pretty sure it will work fine. I just like the quiet and low heat running of the Sicce pumps and it's the brand that came with skimmer as well.

Finally question: The 1st option says it does not include Venturi. Should I add that to the order? Is is required or an option?

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one has any knowledge about replacement pumps for the Aquamaxx Skimmer?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can you can try the Sicce Syrnca 1000 skimmer pump. It should work, probably better suited for the2 model. Maybe you just ruined your impeller Marine Depot sells new ones.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Shark is the Sicce pump with a needle wheel and may also be slightly modified to accommodate a skimmer and hence the name difference.

If you do searches as a replacement pump for your exact skimmer you should be able to find the correct replacement pump as well.

You already have the venturi which is basically your air hose intake mechanism.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

LINK if above doesn't work. They're pretty dang expensive though. If my Aquamax Cones Q-2 pump ever dies out of warranty, I'm buying a Lifereef Skimmer... Which is what I should have bought from the get go if I had known replacement pump price (almost the cost of a brand new skimmer).

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can you can try the Sicce Syrnca 1000 skimmer pump. It should work, probably better suited for the2 model. Maybe you just ruined your impeller Marine Depot sells new ones.

@Blue Spot Octopus said "better suited for the 2"? Really? How do you tell? I thought if I looked at the gph on a new pump, I would get one that was similar in strength to the one that came with the unit. The Syrnca 1000 has a slightly higher gph rating compared to the pump that came with the CO-3. Should I look at some other feature to compare pumps?

The pump turns on as long as the needle wheel cover with venturi cap are not on the unit. Once the cover is put on, the needle wheel will not turn...too tight a fit, so it could be you're right and it's the impeller. I'll check with Marine Depot when I call to see if that is all I need. Thanks!

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Shark is the Sicce pump with a needle wheel and may also be slightly modified to accommodate a skimmer and hence the name difference.

If you do searches as a replacement pump for your exact skimmer you should be able to find the correct replacement pump as well.

You already have the venturi which is basically your air hose intake mechanism.

@Big E , thank you for your response. I did do searches for my exact skimmer but my model is the older one with external pump, not the model with pump inside the unit, and that is the pump that kept coming up. It has a top output connection. The pump I have has a side output connection. I would have to set the pump on it's side to hook it up. I also did a search for the exact pump using the information on the side of the pump. I didn't find what I was looking for, but maybe the way I typed in my search is the problem. I'll try again. Thanks.

Yes, I have a Venturi on the pump that died. I didn't write my question well. I was wondering if people thought it was necessary to have it again...and if so...do I need to buy another one or will the one I have on the broken pump fit on the new pump?

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LINK if above doesn't work. They're pretty dang expensive though. If my Aquamax Cones Q-2 pump ever dies out of warranty, I'm buying a Lifereef Skimmer... Which is what I should have bought from the get go if I had known replacement pump price (almost the cost of a brand new skimmer).

The shark is expensive. I paid $449. for the CO-3 when new, so for me the Shark replacement pump is the Shark 3, which is about half the cost of the skimmer. That is the reason I went on a hunt for a cheaper but possibly better pump. I did like the pump that came with the unit. It was human error that caused it to fail. The pump seemed to last well running 24/7. I just checked the old Marine Depot electronic receipt saved in my google mailbox. I purchased this unit on 7/7/17.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The shark is expensive. I paid $449. for the CO-3 when new, so for me the Shark replacement pump is the Shark 3, which is about half the cost of the skimmer. That is the reason I went on a hunt for a cheaper but possibly better pump. I did like the pump that came with the unit. It was human error that caused it to fail. The pump seemed to last well running 24/7. I just checked the old Marine Depot electronic receipt saved in my google mailbox. I purchased this unit on 7/7/17.

Yeah, my Q-2 was $240 (on sale BF) and replacement pump, one I hopefully wont need for quite some time, is $170....that's close to 3/4 (2/3 at regular price) the cost of the brand new skimmer. :eek:

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same C03...............I replaced my pump last year. It's the same pump.......you just have to turn it to fit your bracket holder for the pump. In other words the pump sits horizontal vs vertical (the inside set up on the newer skimmers)

You have the right link on your original post........buy the Shark 3.0. It's 179 the same price I paid last year.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back