Aquamaxx ConeS Q-3 Skimmer

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Q3 last yr during Black Friday week for $326.

I also had a AquaC EV-120 with both size injector inputs on an old tank. Ran a Mag5, Mag7 then Ehiem 1260 on it and never was able to get much of any skim from it so I replaced it with a reef octopus then.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Q3 last yr during Black Friday week for $326.

I also had a AquaC EV-120 with both size injector inputs on an old tank. Ran a Mag5, Mag7 then Ehiem 1260 on it and never was able to get much of any skim from it so I replaced it with a reef octopus then.

Patience would definitely be required to wait for that deal! ;)

True, some folks did have problems getting those high-flow skimmers (like the EV series) dialed in. Assuming you had the basic setup right (which is easier on the newer EV's that have redesigned exit plumbing)...

The key to dialing in a skimmer is always the same: (in case it helps anyone else)
Make only small changes based on the quality and quantity of skimmate made the previous day.
Don't tune based on current skimmer performance.​

That's a lock for any skimmer on the market....then or now. :)

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you bought it bud !

IMG_0975.JPG

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run it on a total of 70 gallons, over a year strong now.
Def a beast. How many gallons you planning to run it on?

This skimmer is meant for 200 gallon heavy bioload tanks. You're running it in 70 gallons? It must take a month to get a cup of skim.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that I will NEVER buy another point of sale AquaMaxx skimmer. I currently have the Q2 running in a total of 125 gallons of water and it sucks. The skimmer is too wide at the neck. The Q3 is even worse. It's an 8" body with roughly a 6" neck. If anything I would go with the previous CO-3 over the Q3.

I also ordered the Q3 on an impulse buy when they were 25% off. The thing arrived with the pump hanging loose inside the skimmer body acting like a sledge hammer during shipping. When I returned it, I had to wrap the pump in a bubble envelope and they said they would just get a new manufacturer box because the parts were all over the place.

But let me tell you about the Q2 I have. I got it over a year ago when they first came out. They had a problem with the bubble plates flying off because they aren't screwed onto anything. It's just a slip type fitting. Then, I had to send the entire skimmer in for repair because of the seams leaking. Multiple retailers have told me similar problems with their reactors. Probably because they let the pump swing around during shipping. You'll see.

I also have a cracking power cord where it exits the body. But because that's an expensive thing to replace, they just said it was the natural "pinch" of the cord. There's a difference between a pinch and the rubber coating cracking apart. Others have said this in reviews on their site. And you had better hope the pump doesn't go because it costs almost the same amount as the whole skimmer because it's a "modified" Sicce pump.

I wrote a negative review of the skimmer, detailing all the issues I've had with it and the way the Q3 came packaged and they deleted it off their site. So I guess they only let good or ok reviews of their precious AquaMaxx products and erase the negative ones.

Not to mention that the acrylic is paper thin on these. I had the silencer roll off my bathroom counter onto a RUG 4 feet down and it snapped off the air intake.

I'm setting up a 180 right now and am probably going with the Icecap K2-200. Imo, the Q-series necks are too wide. They only taper off at the very top and it's not much. It's made of cheap crap that probably costs them $20 to make.

I literally can't be ridnof this Q2 fast enough. I was looking at the CO-3 for my 180 because it has an external pump and is only 8 inches at the bottom, not all the way up. It also has more of that wine bottle shape. But then I remembered my last year with the Q2.

I will say that AquaMaxx is very good when it comes to warranty support, except when it's the pump. And Marine Depot does all of their repair work for warranty stuff.

The pump is the only good thing ime, except for the power cord cracking in under a year.

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that I will NEVER buy another point of sale AquaMaxx skimmer. I currently have the Q2 running in a total of 125 gallons of water and it sucks. The skimmer is too wide at the neck. The Q3 is even worse. It's an 8" body with roughly a 6" neck. If anything I would go with the previous CO-3 over the Q3.

I also ordered the Q3 on an impulse buy when they were 25% off. The thing arrived with the pump hanging loose inside the skimmer body acting like a sledge hammer during shipping. When I returned it, I had to wrap the pump in a bubble envelope and they said they would just get a new manufacturer box because the parts were all over the place.

But let me tell you about the Q2 I have. I got it over a year ago when they first came out. They had a problem with the bubble plates flying off because they aren't screwed onto anything. It's just a slip type fitting. Then, I had to send the entire skimmer in for repair because of the seams leaking. Multiple retailers have told me similar problems with their reactors. Probably because they let the pump swing around during shipping. You'll see.

I also have a cracking power cord where it exits the body. But because that's an expensive thing to replace, they just said it was the natural "pinch" of the cord. There's a difference between a pinch and the rubber coating cracking apart. Others have said this in reviews on their site. And you had better hope the pump doesn't go because it costs almost the same amount as the whole skimmer because it's a "modified" Sicce pump.

I wrote a negative review of the skimmer, detailing all the issues I've had with it and the way the Q3 came packaged and they deleted it off their site. So I guess they only let good or ok reviews of their precious AquaMaxx products and erase the negative ones.

Not to mention that the acrylic is paper thin on these. I had the silencer roll off my bathroom counter onto a RUG 4 feet down and it snapped off the air intake.

I'm setting up a 180 right now and am probably going with the Icecap K2-200. Imo, the Q-series necks are too wide. They only taper off at the very top and it's not much. It's made of cheap crap that probably costs them $20 to make.

I literally can't be ridnof this Q2 fast enough. I was looking at the CO-3 for my 180 because it has an external pump and is only 8 inches at the bottom, not all the way up. It also has more of that wine bottle shape. But then I remembered my last year with the Q2.

I will say that AquaMaxx is very good when it comes to warranty support, except when it's the pump. And Marine Depot does all of their repair work for warranty stuff.

The pump is the only good thing ime, except for the power cord cracking in under a year.

These sound like problems I don't want to encounter. Sorry to hear man.

OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the post. My build is not limited on space but all the other problems you have had I don't need just because it's on sale.
I'm really thinking about the lifereef. It has options for expansion and not relying on a needle wheel. I can put what ever brand pump I want on it. Again thanks for sharing your experience.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post. My build is not limited on space but all the other problems you have had I don't need just because it's on sale.
I'm really thinking about the lifereef. It has options for expansion and not relying on a needle wheel. I can put what ever brand pump I want on it. Again thanks for sharing your experience.

I was considering the Lifereef at one point as well. The guy, Jeff I think his name is, is very nice but very pushy to buying his products and saying why his are the best and how needle wheel skimmers make the bubbles too fine ect...

When I searched for people that owned them from all different different forums, a lot of people said the design is outdated, everything is so cramped that you can't add anything in the future. Some people said they have it sitting in their garage.

I thought they were really good until I looked into them, the complete systems. And I don't want to spend upwards of a grand for it to be replaced.

I'm not saying they're bad, just look into it from people that owned them. It may or may not be what you're looking for.

I'm having a problem trying to find a sump that I can have the dual overflows empty into a middle chamber and have dc return pumps on each end with an area on each side of the center chamber for media, reactors ect... I can't believe there isn't a manufacturer that makes something like this.

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry you have had issues. I guess there's never a 100% review for anything but I'd say Aquamaxx products are far from crap. Best skimmers I have used to date and I've been thru lots of skimmers since 1997 :)

Most skimmers will skim to some extent. Finding one that is easy to use and basically set and forget while producing gross awesomeness sets them apart from the lesser ones.

My ConeS CO-1 (have only cleaned the motor and body once since 2013)
Cup cleaned on Sunday(4 days ago)
IMG_5348.JPG

My Q3 of less than 6 months
Cup cleaned on Sunday as well
IMG_5347.JPG

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you have had issues. I guess there's never a 100% review for anything but I'd say Aquamaxx products are far from crap. Best skimmers I have used to date and I've been thru lots of skimmers since 1997 :)

Most skimmers will skim to some extent. Finding one that is easy to use and basically set and forget while producing gross awesomeness sets them apart from the lesser ones.

My ConeS CO-1 (have only cleaned the motor and body once since 2013)
Cup cleaned on Sunday(4 days ago)
IMG_5348.JPG

My Q3 of less than 6 months
Cup cleaned on Sunday as well
IMG_5347.JPG

I said they're made like crap. The acrylic is paper thin and the cost of the replacement pump is basically the cost of a new skimmer. Plus the way Marine Depot erased my my review of a faulty skimmer really rubbed me the wrong way. And buying an Aquamaxx is like Russian Roulette. You may get a perfect one, or may get one like mine.

Maybe they got better over the last year, but other retailers have even told me they replaced a lot of their products for faulty seems.

Being you have tried many different skimmers, have you ever tried the Icecap K2 skimmers? I haven't read a bad thing about them and they use a regular Sicce psk-1000 pump (on the K2-200), unmodified, so it's cheaper to replace. I'm curious of people's opinions.

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What depth are you guys running the coneS Q-3 at? The manual says 8-9 but a video review I watched said 7 inches. I’m at 7 inches now but not seeing much performance and the outlet is around 95% closed.

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was running mine it was about 7-8”. Skimmer is a beast. Make sure the bubble plate is on properly. Only time I didn’t get skim was after a cleaning and I forgot to tighten the bubble plate.

5029cf63358c9f058d5d51b2d4d923e7.jpg

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was running mine it was about 7-8”. Skimmer is a beast. Make sure the bubble plate is on properly. Only time I didn’t get skim was after a cleaning and I forgot to tighten the bubble plate.

5029cf63358c9f058d5d51b2d4d923e7.jpg

Ok it’s a relatively new aquarium so that may also be a factor. Thanks

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question with this skimmer. I just got mine, but I'm seeing the connection cable for electricity and it doesn't have ground. Is it safe to run this skimmer that way?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back