Aquamaxx fc-120 skimmer issues

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my skimmers impeller has crapped out again. Went to check everything before work and noticed no bubbling in the skimmer. I can hear the pump and I'm not seeing excessive voltage from the outlet via apex.

The shaft has broken right at the head as shown in the picture previously and I assume the same has happened again. 1st one was replaced under warranty and second one, I bought. I'm done with the siccee "shark" 1.2 pump that aquamaxx sells for the model. I'm considering going to a direct from siccee 1.5 skimmer pump (labeled as the sk200) as it looks similar dimensionally.

My question is that, is it ok to slightly uprate the skimmer pump without any detrimental effects? I figure going from a 1.2 to a 1.5 means higher gph, couldn't think or any other issues, but want to ask before I buy.

TIA

il_794xN.3255735566_kjap~2.jpg

Last edited:

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any problem with that pump upgrade. More GPH means more air draw so you'll have more bubbles inside your skimmer body. This could be more efficient and beneficial for your setup depending on your bioload.

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to update this. I did get a pump to work with the skimmer. In my case it's a syncra sk 400, fits and works perfect.

Even better upside, called BRS about it (originally purchased from marine depot) and they more than took care of me on the customer service side. I realized I was on the ragged edge of the 1 yr warranty.

16336440403211257309416571006895.jpg 16336440641265436727826397756445.jpg

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may work, may not. you're going to be pulling about 22 to 24 watts with the SK instead of that 15 watts with the shark pump. without that being a controllable pump you may get much more air than you or the skimmer bargained for. Hopefully there will be enough adjustment on the effluent to handle it. lets us know how it works out.

NOTE: if that SK impeller is bigger than the Shark pumps impeller, then it may be rough getting it tuned. I've been there with the SK400 trying to mod onto a couple other skimmers.

Tivo

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may work, may not. you're going to be pulling about 22 to 24 watts with the SK instead of that 15 watts with the shark pump. without that being a controllable pump you may get much more air than you or the skimmer bargained for. Hopefully there will be enough adjustment on the effluent to handle it. lets us know how it works out.

NOTE: if that SK impeller is bigger than the Shark pumps impeller, then it may be rough getting it tuned. I've been there with the SK400 trying to mod onto a couple other skimmers.

Tivo
So far so good, it's pulling skimmate, I did have to open up the gate a bit for the mish mash I decided to go with.

I was concerned about the higher output of the sk400 pump, overwhelming the skimmer. So I opted to try the sk400 impeller first with the shark pump. The impeller dimensionally was extremely close. If anything the aquamaxx impeller is slightly larger in terms of surface diameter.

If nothing else I have a spare pump. Or I order a sk400 impeller, put it back with the not installed new pump and return the pump. In either case, I'm in business. It beats the stupid high price of the aquamaxx impeller (which is unobtainium atm).

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good, it's pulling skimmate, I did have to open up the gate a bit for the mish mash I decided to go with.

I was concerned about the higher output of the sk400 pump, overwhelming the skimmer. So I opted to try the sk400 impeller first with the shark pump. The impeller dimensionally was extremely close. If anything the aquamaxx impeller is slightly larger in terms of surface diameter.

If nothing else I have a spare pump. Or I order a sk400 impeller, put it back with the not installed new pump and return the pump. In either case, I'm in business. It beats the stupid high price of the aquamaxx impeller (which is unobtainium atm).
sounds good. just keep an eye on it. usually with a new pump it will take a little bit for it to bed in and the system to rid itself of the residual production residues from adding a new pump. it may kick in even more once the pump gets coated so keep an eye out for over flows.

good job though ;)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back