Aquamaxx FC 180 skimmer help

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm at work and the wife just called... My skimmer just filled a 5 gallon bucket and overflowed all over my basement.
My tunze osmolator was in alarm. I'm guessing cuz it must have dumped ten or so gallons of fresh water into my Kalk reactor and into the sump.
I'm worried what I'll see when I get home.

But, the skimmer has been running since October 14th and I can't seem to dial it in, I need help.
I checked it today and there was a lot of bubbles and the bucket had less than a gallon of watery skimmate. Why it went crazy I don't know. I have the air to the lowest position and pulling outside air. I want it to have more dry skimmate but can't seem to get it there. It's always wet.

Help please before my wife divorces me.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can think of 2 options. If you use a controller that can use an overflow alarm, then you would know sooner, when there is a problem. Install a float switch on your skimate tank that turns off the skimmer if it gets too full. I believe BRS has instructions for making one. I keep my ATO tank fill level low so that the RO/DI water runs out, before it dilutes my salt water too much. One of the main things we get from our experiences, is to learn what can and will fail in our systems. An expert reef keeper not only knows all about his corals and water parameters, but has also designed a stable time tested system. I like to tinker, with the hope of making things better, or I misunderstand what all is needed to do something the right way, and the floor gets all wet again. I think that I have learned a few things and am doing better now. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Dburr1014

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I have the same beliefs. I just filled my ro/di yesterday. I just put the osmolator on last week cuz my gravity float started failing. I thought the osmolator was going to be better. Maybe not.
What I need now is someone to chime in on how to get a better adjustment on the FC 180 skimmer. Not much instructions on aquamaxx website or in the box.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back