Aquamaxx FC80 break in?

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started up my 60 cube, I have had the skimmer in there running since I added water two days ago. I can't get it to stop overflowing. Gate valve is completely open and air adjustment is at minimum. Sitting in about 7.5 inches of water.

I know break ins can vary, but I'm looking for others experiences with this skimmer...

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u raise it up? Put eggcrate under it? If u have the skimmer water at the lowest setting and the cup isn't adjustable. This is your go to or only option. You can make a nicer skimmer stand out of acrylic and Weld on 4 but this eggcrate will do until than.
D

OP
OP
sgarron

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u raise it up? Put eggcrate under it? If u have the skimmer water at the lowest setting and the cup isn't adjustable. This is your go to or only option. You can make a nicer skimmer stand out of acrylic and Weld on 4 but this eggcrate will do until than.
D
My sump is adjustable. I have tried every height from 5.5 to 9.5 inches.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the white knob until the blue and clear gate at the bottom of the skimmer is wide open. This will be your starting point. Leave it over night well you sleep and adjust it in small tiny turns after. Slowly increasing and raising the water inside the body of the skimmer until the foam hits the bottom of the neck of the skimmer where the cup goes on. Leave it again for 24hrs. You will start to see protein skimming soon. As your tank matures and becomes more rich in proteins you will see more and more foam over the neck and into the cup.
About as detailed as I can be. Lol
D

OP
OP
sgarron

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the white knob until the blue and clear gate at the bottom of the skimmer is wide open. This will be your starting point. Leave it over night well you sleep and adjust it in small tiny turns after. Slowly increasing and raising the water inside the body of the skimmer until the foam hits the bottom of the neck of the skimmer where the cup goes on. Leave it again for 24hrs. You will start to see protein skimming soon. As your tank matures and becomes more rich in proteins you will see more and more foam over the neck and into the cup.
About as detailed as I can be. Lol
D
Thanks, but as I stated in the first post, the gate valve is fully open and the air intake is at it's minimum setting. I'll get back to the skimmer in a couple days. Right now the skimmer is off as I dumped in the Dr. Tims.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth I had the same skimmer, and it switched between not skimming at all to over skimming. I took it apart to find the simple assembly was out of alignment and screws(plastic) not screwd in at all as well as the round clear piece between pump and bubble plate not positioned properly. I took it apart numerous times but never got it to work properly.After messing w/ it for 2 months I called Marine Depot and pretty much demanded a store credit and put a little more money w/ it n bought a reef octo 150 int. I couldnt b happier. I have seen good reviews here on your skimmer and it was recommended to me by M.D. but didnt work out. Good luck n hope u get something working for you

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back